Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: A New Hope SPOILERS!

Options
  • 07-10-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

LOVED the new movie.
    Still...
    Funny how closely it followed Star Wars plotline actually:

In the straight-to-the-point prologue, Big Bad Guy comes hunting for Spock / Death Star plans but to no avail

Luke / Kirk’s father died in a past battle

Young Spock / Luke rebel against their family’s wishes and run to the stars.

Luke / Kirk both do so because there’s nothing left for them here, and they’ve a calling.

Kirk / Luke both have their moment in a cantina.

Luke / Kirk both get told by someone who knew their father / knew OF them, that they too have the same potential as their father, and would be a great asset.

Obi-Wan Kenobi/ Captain Pike discuss Luke / Kirk’s fathers’ death a little sadly.

Obi / Pike believe that something is lost in present day (honour code of the knights / look-before-you-leap instinct that Starfleet once had)

Kirk / Luke are both grounded a little by the grouchy comments of a weathered and cynical older companion: McCoy / Han Solo.

Han dismisses Luke’s interest in the Force, McCoy reminds Kirk of the real danger of space-faring.

Nero and Vader have a world-destroying weapon.

Nero and Vader capture Old Spock and Leia

Nero wants Old Spock’s Red Matter for the weapon / Vader wants Leia’s plans for the weapon

Tarkin / Nero want Leia / Young Spock to watch their homeworld burn

Nero and Vader destroy Leia’s / Spock’s homeworld in the second Act.

Old Spock AND Young Spock / Leia are made to watch from close proximity

Leia / Pike are tortured for information about the rebel / Starfleet base

Pike / Obi sacrifice themselves to give their comrades time

2 Spocks and Obi are now the last few of their kind, thanks to the evil machinations of their enemy

Kirk runs from an indigenous beast in the snow of a dangerous world/ Luke is attacked by indigenous beasts in the sands of an arid planet

Luke / Kirk’s attackers are scared off by cries / fire by an old mentor, Obi-Wan / Old Spock

Obi-Wan / Old Spock sit with their younger companion and recount the past, discuss Kirk’s / Luke’s father, as well as their destinies as jedi knight / captain

Luke and Obi / Kirk and Spock stand atop a mountain / hill and look down upon their launch-pad to space: the Tattooine spaceport / Federation outpost

They meet an eccentric but brilliant space farer (Han / Scotty) and his non-talking furry and occasionally mischievous companion (Chewie / can’t remember the little dude’s name)

Young Spock / Han want to run away from the fight while Kirk / Luke are itching to fight and save the day

The Narada / Death Star closes in on Earth / Earth-like planet (either way, home base of the Rebel Fleet / Starfleet)

Nero / Vader have Kirk / Luke in their sights and senses his power / describes his status as a great man in the future

Spock / Luke are in the direct line of fire and look like they’ll die in combat when, at the last second, Millennium Falcon / Enterprise swoop in out of nowhere and destroy/disable all incoming TIE Fighters / Narada torpedoes

Narada / Death Star explode in a ball of bright light, and Enterprise / Falcon and X-Wings fly away heroic

Obi / Old Spock tell Luke / Young Spock to ignore technology/logic and use the Force / faith

A final celebration is held where Kirk / Luke and Han and Chewie are bestowed with honour, as the audience rise and cheer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

i dont see it that way at all.
    Luke / Kirk’s father died in a past battle

isn't darth vadar lukes father?
    Obi / Pike believe that something is lost in present day

not buying it, ask anyone over 40 and they'll agree with that sentiment.
    Kirk / Luke are both grounded a little by the grouchy comments

true for luke, not for kirk
    Tarkin / Nero want Leia / Young Spock to watch their homeworld burn

wrong spock.
    Han dismisses Luke’s interest in the Force, McCoy reminds Kirk of the real danger of space-faring.

absolutely unrelated.

most of the points after the one above are tenious links at best.
    also you switch caracters way too much for example you compare young spock to luke, leia, han.
    to me your picking facts to suit your opinion.

my opinion,
    its very similiar to star trek 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

i dont see it that way at all.

isn't darth vadar lukes father?

In this film, no. I'm talking pure New Hope here, ignoring any retcons, rethinks or reveals in sequels. According to both films, both fathers were killed in action. Luke's an orphan, Kirk's fatherless and his mom is unseen (off-planet when he's an adolescent; unknown when 22). Both have controlling uncles.

not buying it, ask anyone over 40 and they'll agree with that sentiment.

Specifically, both Pike and Obi see the fathers' spirits in the sons, and are trying to coax it out of them. They both praise their fathers' talents and imply the same potential for greatness lies within them as well.
    "Learn about the Force / Enlist in Starfleet"

true for luke, not for kirk

You're right. In fact, Luke isn't even grounded by Han's comments. I don't know why I wrote that.

wrong spock.

Right Spock :pac:

Nero fills the screen, has his darkly humorous intro, then addresses Young Spock. The young Vulcan says, "Pardon me, I don't believe we've met."
    "No we haven't...," Nero replies. "Not yet. Spock, I want you to see something. Captain Pike..."

Later, after the destruction of Vulcan, Young Spock debates Nero's intentions with the surviving Enterprise crew. Says, "He said he wanted me to see something: the destruction of my home planet.";)

absolutely unrelated.

I disagree. Kirk's itching to hit the stars, whereas McCoy reminds him of the countless dangers that await them. Luke gets excited about the first feeling of the Force, Han is quick to shoot him down. I'm not stretching it, it popped into my head when I saw it.

most of the points after the one above are tenious links at best.

What?! You think:

Spock saving Kirk from the Cloverfield-like beast followed by an expositionary scene setting up the Third Act

bears little resemblance to:

Obi-Wan saving Luke from Tusken Raiders followed by an expositonary scene setting up the Second Act???

In both scenes the elder reveals the past (or in Old Spock's case, his past but Kirk's future)

also you switch caracters way too much for example you compare young spock to luke, leia, han.
    to me your picking facts to suit your opinion.

No I'm saying plot-points, characteristics and dynamics were nearly copied-and-pasted over.

my opinion,
    its very similiar to star trek 1.

What?!:pac:

That film is sooooooooo slow! And everyone looks bored! It's one big blind expedition through a moody stormcloud, there's wannabe 2001-esque tracking shots of wondrous and ill-explained phenomena, wooden acting, strangely cold and objective angles and scenes, and no true "bad guy". But this has all been said before. (I've heard the DVD Director's Edition ups the ante and reintroduced newly-completed/re-rendered effects but otherise the film is still ponderous).

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

umm ok i conceed i do see where you are comming from, i still dont agree.

you are comparing the technical and storytellying aspects of the film, ignoreing specific plotlines but taking in consideration the construction of the scenes.

am i right?

anyway, im no film buff and i dont have enought facts behind me to debate it to the extent that its possible.

but my opinion that it resembles Star Trek 1 is that the plots as very similiar, they play out differently i know, very different pace, but the story is very similiar.

Advertisement