Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wattasaver?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

In which case this device would be of little use to domestic premises with old-style meter which takes no account of reactive load OR one which has little inductive load?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rossy47

in all frairness i know how to read a esb bill and also checked units from last year and compared.so i pluged out power saver yesterday for 4 hours run some appliances and took note of time. meter read 36270.3 after 4 hours meter read 36273.9 so done same test with saver started at 36274.0 and after 4 hours it read 36276.9 so 3.6 from 2.9 is .7kwhr saved or .7 of a unit saved how is this be. is there something im missing is it possible meters do pick up on wattless i know certain things need a certain amount of wattless power to start like motors flourescent lights so if you need that wattless power is that free from supplier does anyone really know for certain how electricity meters really operate i know about reading up on them that they say dont read wattless anyone ever split one. i know iduction meters creep and they say that it is a phonemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

rossy47 wrote: »
    is it possible meters do pick up on wattless

Not for domestic installations.
    is that free from supplier

Yes
    does anyone really know for certain how electricity meters really operate

Yes.

The only saving you can possibly make is the reduction in Joule Losses (I2R)in the conductor supplying the load. This is minuscule (a tiny fraction of a Watt).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

There may be a 'placebo' effect with these things.You would want it to work after paying 350 or whatever so you start cutting back a bit on usage.:D

Has anyone seen the new solid-state domestic meters? Do the measure any of the reactive element?

• Advertisement

Is there anyone able to come up with how i got savings we are in an estate and 8 of my neighbours have power tune installed and we all have savings on units im honestly baffled i got a instrument technician to check it out for me and he could not explain it?????

Does anyone know for sure that electricity meters are that accurate??

Is there anyone able to come up with how i got savings we are in an estate and 8 of my neighbours have power tune installed and we all have savings on units im honestly baffled i got a instrument technician to check it out for me and he could not explain it?????

From your posts it is clear that you belong to one of the companies associated with the marketing and sale of these bogus devices.
    First it was you and your parents which installed them, now 8 of your neighbours have it too !

Are you honestly telling us that you monitored a constant load over an 8 hour period yesterday ???

Sounds like you have a warehouse full of junk.

The so called test you did is junk. How can you be sure you even drew the same load twice over exactly? You cant.

This so called demonstration is a joke. The LCD is showing an animation not any measurement software. These are bought in for 30 quid and flogged on for near 400 on false promises. I mean how inductive can a washing machine be!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

• Advertisement

Who do you think you are accusing me of such things what proof do you have of what you are sayin do you want the names and addresses of where they are installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭badolepuddytat

ESB meters measure within 2% accuracy Instantaneously, which is deemed as a class 1 meter. aggregated over months, i think it is significantly less than 2%.

The meter measures KWh by measuring current and voltage simultaneously. the effergy/owl meter has a preprogrammed voltage (220V) and only measures current. hence it assumes a PF of unity and hence when they measure the system it shows KVA rather than KWh.

Take CFL bulbs with PF of 0.55(say 10 no. 20W CFL):

P= V.I.PF
    P= 240V x 1.5Amps x 0.55= 200W (ESB meter)

So while measuring without the device on while ignoring the PF:
    P= V.I
    P= 240 x 1.5 = 360W

Now lets correct the PF and hence reduce the current to only the real current instead of real + reactive

P= 240V x .83 Amps x 1= 200W
    Hence the magician says the power has gone from 360 W to 200 W.

I'll put a proper power meter and measure it with a resistive and inductive load. give me a few days to get my hand on one.

Caveat Emptor.

Take CFL bulbs with PF of 0.55(say 10 no. 20W CFL):

P= V.I.PF
    P= 240V x 1.5Amps x 0.55= 200W (ESB meter)

So while measuring without the device on while ignoring the PF:
    P= V.I
    P= 240 x 1.5 = 360W
    Now lets correct the PF and hence reduce the current to only the real current instead of real + reactive

P= 240V x .83 Amps x 1= 200W
    Hence the magician says the power has gone from 360 W to 200 W.

You almost have it except
    S= V.I
    S= 240 x 1.5 = 360VA

the Apparent power has gone from 360 VA to 200 VA.
    The real power (W) is still the same at 200W (= 10*20W)!

Youtube have a similar demo to what you propose at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIThybewb_o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Who do you think you are accusing me of such things what proof do you have of what you are sayin do you want the names and addresses of where they are installed

No such details to be posted on boards please.

Looks like a big cap to me that will alter the PF.

It is true that PFC units save a lot of money for buildings with large consistent inductive loads, chillers, motors etc.

But not a house.

I'm closing this thread now hopefully people will read between the lines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement