Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 10 Rant

Options
  • 07-10-2009 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Does anyone else feel ripped off? AI is absolutely terrible,im now winning 5 or 6 nil every game on legendry,I cant get online because EA server is currently not available,manager mode is full of glitches In my second season now and i cant buy any players no matter what I offer. And has anyone succeeded in getting their gameface done on the EA website? I still think it will be better than Pro Evo but still surely these glitches are a bit much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mister Robinson

My rant would be about the rubbish defending that happens when the opposition plays the stupid one touch passing and the defence stands and looks while it ends up a 1v1 with the keeper

Or the terrible defending in the box where all my players go for the ball and leave everyone unmarked to score. Or when you play against Barca or Real where Ibrahimovic or Ronaldo can just slide left and right and score when they are fully marked yet the player does nothing to get the ball off them..

They really screwed up the defense in Fifa 10. I find it easier playing the AI on legendary than online but it's been so frustrating playing when you know after 2 minutes of ridiculous defending that it is 2-0 against you :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

My rant would be about the rubbish defending that happens when the opposition plays the stupid one touch passing and the defence stands and looks while it ends up a 1v1 with the keeper

Or the terrible defending in the box where all my players go for the ball and leave everyone unmarked to score. Or when you play against Barca or Real where Ibrahimovic or Ronaldo can just slide left and right and score when they are fully marked yet the player does nothing to get the ball off them..

They really screwed up the defense in Fifa 10. I find it easier playing the AI on legendary than online but it's been so frustrating playing when you know after 2 minutes of ridiculous defending that it is 2-0 against you :mad:

Yep agree about the online. Its just painful playing against madrid/barca etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I agree, that and the stupid keeper that decides to just stand around miles out from his line every time just begging to be chipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

[quote=

[/quote]

There was me thinking im doing something wrong.
    Yes the defending is bull!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I too am getting very pissed with online, not sure of my stats but I am sitting around level 10 for the last few days (pretty low I know but wont get to many easy games), my controllers are in serious danger of getting hopped off the wall at this stage. I always use Liverpool but the fact that all other big clubs are able to simply pass the ball around one touch then as everyone else states pretty much pass it into the net. Also I notice that if I am 1-0 up a time comes in that game where I know I am going to concede no matter what I seem to adjust. I have scored some pretty cracking medium range shots but why is nobody else shooting , just walking the ball into the net. I was playing 09 right up until thurs night and I do feel that you were able to defend a lot better. They have taken the ability to adjust the custom tactics from online :mad: why the need for that. I only play online I find myself waiting on PES reviews to find out if online play is better, if it is I might find myself going back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

bennyc wrote: »
    I too am getting very pissed with online, not sure of my stats but I am sitting around level 10 for the last few days (pretty low I know but wont get to many easy games), my controllers are in serious danger of getting hopped off the wall at this stage. I always use Liverpool but the fact that all other big clubs are able to simply pass the ball around one touch then as everyone else states pretty much pass it into the net. Also I notice that if I am 1-0 up a time comes in that game where I know I am going to concede no matter what I seem to adjust. I have scored some pretty cracking medium range shots but why is nobody else shooting , just walking the ball into the net. I was playing 09 right up until thurs night and I do feel that you were able to defend a lot better. They have taken the ability to adjust the custom tactics from online :mad: why the need for that. I only play online I find myself waiting on PES reviews to find out if online play is better, if it is I might find myself going back.

I'm beginning to feel the same. Although I'm not holding out much hope for PES after that pityful demo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Mike Bassett

Shzm wrote: »
    I agree, that and the stupid keeper that decides to just stand around miles out from his line every time just begging to be chipped.

Double tap triangle or whatever the xbox equivilant is...It says in the manual (yes I actually read it) under goalkeepers that a double tap of triangle is 'Stay on line/Do not rush' might be helpful?

It really does seem alot of people are feeling this way. Does anyone know if you can change the search to search for any level and not the one your at? Im at level 18 and its now a bloody chore to try and win a game. Everyone picks Mardrid followed by Barca Inter or Chelsea.

Sometimes I just want a nice relaxing game where I can win by a few goals. Now its a case of defending for my life and I actually feel lucky if Torres manages to score.

Got hammered last night by Chelsea 6-0 simply because I could catch half their team and Drogba can waltz pass my defence. Online play is all I do on Fifa but im not enjoying it at all this year.

Next step is making a formation of 5 at the back....

joe123 wrote: »
    It really does seem alot of people are feeling this way. Does anyone know if you can change the search to search for any level and not the one your at? Im at level 18 and its now a bloody chore to try and win a game. Everyone picks Mardrid followed by Barca Inter or Chelsea.

Sometimes I just want a nice relaxing game where I can win by a few goals. Now its a case of defending for my life and I actually feel lucky if Torres manages to score.

Got hammered last night by Chelsea 6-0 simply because I could catch half their team and Drogba can waltz pass my defence. Online play is all I do on Fifa but im not enjoying it at all this year.

But even if you make the formation can you load it, there is no option to edit the formation or load custom ones that I can see.

Whats up with the be a pro ranked online matches?

It never seems to be able to find a game.

• Advertisement

But even if you make the formation can you load it, there is no option to edit the formation or load custom ones that I can see.

Yeah im not sure what you are all saying has changed? What I do is go to team management and mess around with formation and tactics there. Then at the squad set up screen before you confirm your line ups go to formations and select the formation you created in the team management.

Im currently using a 5 at the back online now. Dont want to use it but im getting better results...slightly. I do love the messages from all the madrid/barcas etc saying "loozr usin 5 in defence". Im like if only youd stop picking the top team. Ive played about 3 Man uniteds this year! Makes a change :rolleyes:

TBH the 5 at the back doesn't work anymore, i used to play a 5-3-2 in 09 with my defensive midfielder ahead of the defence, when i'd be defending he's fall into a back 5 and on attack he'd push up the pitch.
    Now the passes just go through the players 99% of the time, so it doesn't matter how many you have back there, you can't block of the obvious Noob passes like in 09.

Agree with everything said here, they really messed it up, i could probably handle the defending if the shooting wasn't so piss poor too, realistically you HAVE TO pass it into the net, and even then i've lost count of the amount of time my player put it wide or at the goalie from 6 yards.

Seems the attacking team is at a disadvantage in this game, once bodies get back your only option is a cross, you don't get the space for a long shot like in 09 and your players won't have enough time to shoot if you get it into the box, once the opponent gets it they have you on a 3 v 3, or 3 v 4, the simple little obvious passes follow and go unpunished since they introduced this new flashy ''block'' animation that let's the ball constantly through players.

They tried to be smart and make a realistic game, but they went overboard and ****ed it up IMO

Edit your formation in Team Management and set that as the teams formation, you can pick it online then

I've just played 8 games there.....Lost all 8

1. 5 star teams and unbeatable when playing one touch,Some guy got from the half way line to my box and scored 3 seconds after taking the ball from me with the one touch crap, It's impossible to defend.

2. Offside is a disgrace, The amount of goals I've conceded from a player being off side....If you look at the replay the player is ahead of my defenders when he shoots and also when they one touch, absolute disgrace.

3. The refs get in the way of you're passing and is intercepted by the opposition is WRECKING my head. One team scored as most my players were in the opposite half when the ref got in the way and rebounded to the opposition.

4. Connection to most games is disgraceful. I never get to host a match and have a disadvantage as when you pass the ball it takes at least a second to respond and by that time the pass is intercepted or miss placed :mad:

5. Defense walks into each other...I dunno how many times my defenders have all went for the ball and fell over for each other leaving an open goal. And also the goalie is so thick that he never goes for the ball when asked, And goes for the ball at the worst time possible.

6. Players never go forward. My defenders seem more up-field than my attackers and it's so frustrating. Having to try play one touch in order to move the players up seems the only way even with custom or default tactics.

FutureGuy hurry up and set the leagues up so I can play some decent players, not this crap that I'm getting from the absolute geeks that have nothing better to do than sit on there Xbox for at least 8 hours straight thinking they are god's with 5 star teams, Otherwise I will eventually take the disk and throw it out the window.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Major rant over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Honestly, if you play the game correctly you can easily win. You're not supposed to wait for your defenders to track back, you have to defend too. I always try to intercept where the ball will go, or where the guy is going to run.

Its all about timing tbh.

But I do defend, The pressure buttons L+R triggers just dont work 1v1 when against the likes of Messi, Torres, Ronaldo and so they run straight through or past you and the score from a dodgy goal.Or the lob over the head you're defender stands there and wont move :mad:

Or this strife left right stuff around the defenders shouldn't have been put in as its basically an easy pass to scoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Mike Bassett

You have got to think logically about your defending,you dont go toe to toe with messi or ronaldo just like in real life they would give you a roasting,you stand well back and direct them where you want them to go,up the line,onto their weaker foot or into shooting from a tight angle,dont go close to them straight away and let them skin ya. Ive done this countless times online and they eventually end up running into me or passing the ball straight to me...basically what im saying is let these players run all the like,just make sure you make them run where you want them to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

You have got to think logically about your defending,you dont go toe to toe with messi or ronaldo just like in real life they would give you a roasting,you stand well back and direct them where you want them to go,up the line,onto their weaker foot or into shooting from a tight angle,dont go close to them straight away and let them skin ya. Ive done this countless times online and they eventually end up running into me or passing the ball straight to me...basically what im saying is let these players run all the like,just make sure you make them run where you want them to

Exactly what I do. Havent had any of these problems that people are going on about online. Not yet anyway.

FutureGuy hurry up and set the leagues up so I can play some decent players, not this crap that I'm getting from the absolute geeks that have nothing better to do than sit on there Xbox for at least 8 hours straight thinking they are god's with 5 star teams, Otherwise I will eventually take the disk and throw it out the window.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Great post. I really like the defending in the new one. You need to think rather than just hold the press buttons down/ pack the defence with bodies. Reminds me of PES 5. Loads of clean sheets so far.

I love being able to filter by DNF% - no quitters so far in about 20 games. Even guys who've been losing by 4 or 5 have played to the end. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I dont understant about the defensive issues online.

Ive played 6 games online, won all 6, conceded 2 goals. I beat Madrid 4-1 and Ronaldo didnt get a sniff, Barca wernt a problem either.

I honestly think its just using FIFA 09 methods on FIFA 10, that will get you nowhere. The defending has changed, but not in a bad way imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Danow247

Exactly what i do. Stand off & jockey them into the corners or into other players and then nick it off them. I think you have to really know about football to be really good at this game. You have to keep the ball and lure players out of their postition and then punish them when you get in on goal. Im absolutely loving this game. Cant get enough of it.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I dont understant about the defensive issues online.

Ive played 6 games online, won all 6, conceded 2 goals. I beat Madrid 4-1 and Ronaldo didnt get a sniff, Barca wernt a problem either.

I honestly think its just using FIFA 09 methods on FIFA 10, that will get you nowhere. The defending has changed, but not in a bad way imo.

Yeah but play another 10 -20 more and come back, after 6 games you are in the low ranks wait till you rank up over 12 and see how you get on. I was loving it until early this week I was winning every game with no hassle , now for ranked I have to take bloody Real / Chelsea to get anywhere.

Agree with everything Mister Robinson said and Bennyc. Ive played a hell of a lot of online games now. Im at level 19 and at this level it is TORTURE. 5 star teams are impossible play against. By 5 star I mean Barca,Madrid,Inter and Chelsea.

Ive actually had good games against people who pick other 5 star teams such as Uniteds and Liverpools and Arsenals.

You cant stand off the messis because this new side to side shuffle thing just opens up so much room for them and then along comes ibriamovich up front who is just IMPOSSIBLE in this game. He shrugs off the likes of skirtel constantly and can score from all angles. At one stage I had carragher and Skirtle jostling with him and he went straight through and scored top corner.

Ive had so many crazy scorelines aswell. Through balls can always slip through your defence even with a 5 man defence. Last year it was great playing these top team players because they didnt know what to do with a 5 man defence. This year it has no effect.

The Keepers are also terrible this year. They rush out and just stare at the ball when you want him to pounce down on it. Shooting with most players including torres is awful as its hit or miss. You might be in the same position twice and do the exact same thing and one shot will fly miles wide while the other will nestle in the net.

Freek kicks are another thing. They are far to easy score. If you pressure someone your likely to give away a free kick and its nearly as good as a pen this year its ridiculous.

Whatever level your on at the minute you might think its fine....once you hit the 17s its terrible.

Really really disapointed with Fifa this year.

EDIT: For those who are at the rank where its no fun to play I discovered last night if you go to the lobbies you can search skill levels and play players at whatever skill level you choose. Im finding level 14 to be fairly good for games. I just refuse to pick the madrids etc in the game.

Danow247 wrote: »
    Exactly what i do. Stand off & jockey them into the corners or into other players and then nick it off them. I think you have to really know about football to be really good at this game. You have to keep the ball and lure players out of their postition and then punish them when you get in on goal. Im absolutely loving this game. Cant get enough of it.

Hey whats your gamertag and ill give ya a game mate. Implying myself mister robinson and Bennyc "dont know about football" is just annoying to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Yeah but play another 10 -20 more and come back, after 6 games you are in the low ranks wait till you rank up over 12 and see how you get on. I was loving it until early this week I was winning every game with no hassle , now for ranked I have to take bloody Real / Chelsea to get anywhere.

I was speaking about my ranked games. I have played more than 6 games. A guy on my friends list is Australaisan champion for the last 5 years and currently top 20 on fifa 10 i think, i played him twice and beat him twice without conceding. Im not trying to big myself up but ive played some of the best players in the world on my friends list in unranked 8min games and havent seen any problems with defending. Ive lost matches and conceded goal, but not because of the game.

Also if you dont want to play Madrid, then search only 4 star teams.

EDIT: Just re-read what i said and thought i came off as a bit of a dick there. Im not trying to say im better than you and im not having a pissing competition of sorts. Its just that im lucky enough to have some exellent players on my friends list through past experiences and if im having trouble i play those better than me in order to improve. FIFA has been out for 1 week, I think you just need to get to grips to the defending, it has changed after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Manager mode is a shambles, especially the contract renewals (won't accept no matter how much I offer) and trying to buy players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Mikey is right. If you defend like you did in '09 you'll be punished.

Swarming the attacking player no longer works. It was so easy in '09.

I was terrible for the first couple of days defending. Because I was still playing my '09 style.

But I learned how to handle attackers now.

One simple tip I'd give is stand off. Don't press the hound/foot in button until the opportunity to genuinely nick the ball away is there.

Also, try not to suck in a second player to hound with the square button unless it's absolutely required. In FIFA 10 they've definitely worked on punishing you for spamming the the swarm close down with two players. The opposition will simply pick a through ball into the space the second player has left to go hound.

So definitely my one tip for defending is stand off and wait for the perfect opportunity to pounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

I've been playing this in the last few days. It's not bad or good: it's average, and, again, based upon a flawed design. The passing is too easy; I've fired the ball around the pitch with ease without even having to adjust my passing player's positioning. The counter needs to be nerfed: it's easier to score when under pressure defensively than it is when pressurizing with an attack. There is a lot of scripting in the game, especially the shooting (amount of times I've seen the ball bounce over the bar after a saved chip). The ball physics are from Mercury. Tackling is very easy and requires no timing or input of the tackle button. The through-ball is so overpowered, again, and the chip through-ball is next to useless in most situations. You can't save replays either, as far as I know you can only upload them. This loss was compounded when my friend scored one of the best goals I've ever seen in any football game, with Hunt for Ireland: a ball deflected up in the air, first-time volley outside of the corner of the box near the sideline and swerves in top-corner by the nearest post.

I haven't touched the single-player or online modes, but from what I can see, they look exhaustive and good (the FIFA Pro Club competition makes me wish I had a good online connection). The customization is by far the most impressive aspect of the game. I think the concept of the set-piece creator is brilliant. It could be abused to ruin the game if a sweet spot is found in it or the defending player isn't equipped to cancel the strategy of the attacking player, but hopefully that's not the case. I like the flair the game allows you to play with, with the right analogue stick and I like the quick throws from the goalkeeper. I don't think that the 360 dribbling is revolutionary: comparable to 3D fighting games in that there's not much difference between 2D.

I've only played my friends (and they've played FIFA 09 a lot), and though the games were entertaining at first, I soon was beating them with Arsenal against Real Madrid and Manchester United. I beat one friend 9-0 without even trying in a ten minute game, and even if I played competitively against him in PES with my main, I wouldn't achieve that scoreline. I'll reserve judgement until I play better opposition.

FIFA 10 is definitely not a bad game, but I can't look past the obvious flaws and shallowness in parts of the gameplay. Ironically, I'm looking forward to playing PES 2010 now after playing FIFA 10.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I was speaking about my ranked games. I have played more than 6 games. A guy on my friends list is Australaisan champion for the last 5 years and currently top 20 on fifa 10 i think, i played him twice and beat him twice without conceding. Im not trying to big myself up but ive played some of the best players in the world on my friends list in unranked 8min games and havent seen any problems with defending. Ive lost matches and conceded goal, but not because of the game.

Also if you dont want to play Madrid, then search only 4 star teams.

EDIT: Just re-read what i said and thought i came off as a bit of a dick there. Im not trying to say im better than you and im not having a pissing competition of sorts. Its just that im lucky enough to have some exellent players on my friends list through past experiences and if im having trouble i play those better than me in order to improve. FIFA has been out for 1 week, I think you just need to get to grips to the defending, it has changed after all.

I dont know. For a bit of a test to actually see if im worse at Fifa this year than I was last year I played one fella online with Liverpool v madrid. Needless to say he bet me 5-1. And this is without swarming players around him. I stood off at the right times etc. But on so many occasions Ronaldo would be able to just "go through" skirtel or carragher. My players were always playing catch up.

Played him in a replay. This time I picked Barcelona (first time I ever picked them) and I bet him 3-2 and this is with missing alot of chances on my part.

First thing i noticed was I was able to give the ball to Ibriamovich and he was able to run past players and hold them off. Something not one Liverpool player can do.

My biggest gripe I have with the game this year is now this...Once you pick a team outside of Madrid/Barcelona/Chelsea/Inter and to a lesser extent Arsenal (all very quick teams) the gulf in quality is huge. In Last years Fifa this wasnt the case.

A liverpool v Madrid on rank 19 is ridiculous. Anyone who is at rank 13ish just try picking Liverpool or a Man United against a Madrid or Barca and youll see just how ridiculous the defending is in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

First thing i noticed was I was able to give the ball to Ibriamovich and he was able to run past players and hold them off. Something not one Liverpool player can do.

Ah come off it joe. Torres is just as overpowered in Fifa 10 as he was in last years. He is godlike in this.

Its only week 2 guys. We have a year with this game. A bit of perspective. You are going to get better with time. Most of the "serious engine flaws!!!11!" are just poor play on our part.

I get frustrated like most of you, and bitch and moan and shout at the screen at loads of certain aspects. Unfair this, and Injustice that. But its always my own fault.

If you are getting skinned, you are being too eagre.
    If you are getting outmuscled, you are going in with a weaker player.
    If you are getting ping-pong passed to death, then you aren't defending well enough. Turn down the auto-switching and control your defenders to intercept the one touch passing.

If he is pinging it around constantly, he is being predictable. He isn't thinking about it and its just instinct or scripted on his part. You should know where he is going to put it 5 seconds before he does, and be able to move a player in to recieve it.

Advertisement