Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who is making a living our of BER these days?

• 07-10-2009 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

I had a decent year up until about August mainly on Domestic BER. Since then things appear to be alot quieter. Commercial BER is picking up slightly but nothing major happening either. At least you are not being undercut by every tom dick and harry on the commercial stuff though some of the quoted prices are crazy.

Looking at the rest of 2009 and into 2010 it doesnt look too promising. It will be interesting to see how many practising assessors will be around this time next year.

There are guys doing semi detached houses for €150 all in at the minute. At these levels the sustainability of BER as a business is diminished and if prices remain at this level then would we be aswell off to get out now??

What are your views on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chatterbox007

I agree, there is definitely a slowing down however this may be a good thing as those offer slash priced certs will be forced out. It is only possible to continue in business offering those prices if you get a get a large number.
    It will also take some more pressure from the government to enforce BERs particularly with rental properties. Here's hoping...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the reason the demand for certs is slowing down is because the existing housing stock is almost fully certed.. 40,000 certs by the end of the year.....

looking at projected housing completions next year is terrible reading. personally i will be surprised if it is above 10,000.

the future for the stand alone assessor is very very bleak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the reason the demand for certs is slowing down is because the existing housing stock is almost fully certed.. 40,000 certs by the end of the year.....

I'd have to disagree with you there Syd. I (like to think I) have an idea of whats going on in Galway City regarding BER. I would suggest that less than 20% of rental domestic property in Galway will be certified by Jan 2010.

My own opinion is that a big majority of landlords are broke, they know they have 28 days to produce a cert if someone comes looking and they have way bigger problems than BER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

I suppose it depends on what you mean by making a living. If I depended on BER alone I would be scratching myself at home most days. If the prices were right one could possibly make a living doing one per day but they arent so one cant.
    I met a guy yesterday in Pembroke Road who was doing a BER in the same block that I was assessing. He got his job through BERCERT.com and was charging €80 all in (no VAT). I would have laughed except it isnt funny. Think of it this way, the more dwellings that are surveyed the less there are left to survey, that is what I would call a diminishing market. Am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

More gloom from the sinner.

I had ( not just me ) always seen 2 punters

1. Don't give a monkeys about energy rate , has to have the cert under protest and resents paying anything for it .

2. Punter sees the value in the assessment process , leading to actual improvement in energy consumption and - almost as a by product - the BER cert

Now ..... we have ESB Halo ! . Free assessments ! Punter type 2 can avail of this . And revert to being Punter type 1 afterwards .

I actually did the training and registered with SEI to offer an "all part of the service" to clients .

But it makes practical and commercial sense to remove myself from the SEI register and pass clients onto the desperate €100 a go guys . That way I will no longer also have to field calls - at least 2 per week - from those saying " I have a guy to do it for €xx ( always low ) - can you beat that?"

• Advertisement

1. Don't give a monkeys about energy rate 90%
    2. Punter sees the value in the assessment process 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭r-i-tect

In my opinion BER assessing can only be successful as an additional service. The undercutting is moving highly qualified people away from the subject matter which is a shame.

I feel it will be the same when Disability Access Certs come in (I have had phone calls from companies offering this service, when there is actually nothing really known about what a D.A.C. actually is) Do a 4 day auditing course and bingo you're an expert in disabled access, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

sinnerboy wrote: »
    But it makes practical and commercial sense to remove myself from the SEI register and pass clients onto the desperate €100 a go guys . That way I will no longer also have to field calls - at least 2 per week - from those saying " I have a guy to do it for €xx ( always low ) - can you beat that?"

If you are making money out of your core business then you can just say "no" and hang up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Well quite . But the simple answer to the thread title - is - no one .

I already knew the answer but said I'd ask anyway!

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

While technically you are correct there sinnerboy there are poeple making a living out of the BER's, unfortunately they all work for SEI and are public servants!!!:D

Training providers and estate agents too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

I'm absolutely delighted BER Assessors are not making any money. Apparently, the Irish public are wise enough not to pay your extortionate prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

ben bedlam wrote: »
    I'm absolutely delighted BER Assessors are not making any money. Apparently, the Irish public are wise enough not to pay your extortionate prices.

Good Evening Mr troll.
    What rating did your cave get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

ben bedlam wrote: »

I cannot actually believe that someone thinks BER Assessors are charging "extortionate prices"!!! :eek:

Probably one of those people who go up north on social welfare day to buy cat food for their kids because its 2 cents cheaper up there. Typical moronic comment, better to ignore it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ignore that guy... hes banned now...

Advertisement