Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop IDE Cable Question

Options
  • 07-10-2009 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

I've been messing around with a very old laptop which had no screen or keyboard, thought I might use it to connect an external harddrive to the network. But mostly it's just for fun.

I want to put the motherboard in a case on its own but the hdd is attached at an awkward position so I was wondering if there's such a thing as an extension cable for 2.5 inch IDE harddisks.

From googling I'm pretty sure there isn't, why would there be. But I thought I'd ask here just in case there's a handy alternative.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Only thing i could think of is this :

http://www.1topstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1

25-to-35-ide-adaptor-1.jpg

Use a ribbon cable to extend a 3.5" and a molex cable for power, shoudl work, might be tricky tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Thanks for the suggestion. I've ordered this and this. Looks like it should work and they're very cheap so worth a shot.

I don't understand why most of those cables seem to be female both ends?

Advertisement