Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quarterback Power Rankings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Si Conando

No idea why you compared 2004 when you could have easily used 2006 when Manning had 19 less att than Brady's 2007 at 557 for 4397 yards. Didnt work out too well for you eh? If you are going to use stats make sure you double check other years just in case. :rolleyes:

See this is why I dont get involved in Brady Manning arguments anymore because you cant split them. I dont care what Eagle Eye or davyjose says its like arguing over two apples. They both are green and both taste good. In this case Brady/Manning are too similar to compare and are both the best. Of course a Pats fan is going to stick up for Brady and of course everyone else Manning. Its a winless argument. Both will win alot more games, throw alot more passes maybe win another bowl each both hit the hall of fame etc etc. So why argue over them. Lets just enjoy the fact we are alive through one of the best QB battles of all time.

I used 2004 because it was their record breaking seasons, i thought that was obvious. They have both attempted more passes in a season than both those years, im aware of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Si Conando wrote: »
    I used 2004 because it was their record breaking seasons, i thought that was obvious. They have both attempted more passes in a season than both those years, im aware of that

Record breaking season yes but bad year still statiscally to compare individuals i.e Brady and Manning. In fact any year is a bad year really especially using attempts which is what you are trying to use to prove Eagle Eye wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

eagle eye wrote: »
    Tbh when Peyton Manning and Drew Brees retire, their yardage should be marked with an asterisk and in the footnotes should be

*played home games in a dome

Do you think they should include one that states Patriots were caught cheating to win one of Brady's superbowls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Si Conando

Do you think they should include one that states Patriots were caught cheating to win one of Brady's superbowls?

Just one?:D

Wait which superbowl would that be? If you are referring to the 2002 Bowl that was unproven and the Patriots were never fined or punished for anything over it. Just becuase Marshal Faulk and others decided 6 years on to come out with sh*t when the Spygate stuff came around doesnt make it true. Innocent until proven guilty my friend ;) Besides the tapes were destroyed by Goodell so I guess we will never know.

And see this is why these Brady Manning Patriot Colts arguments become stupid. As then it becomes a Patriots bashing thread eventually.

• Advertisement

Wait which superbowl would that be? If you are referring to the 2002 Bowl that was unproven and the Patriots were never fined or punished for anything over it. Just becuase Marshal Faulk and others decided 6 years on to come out with sh*t when the Spygate stuff came around doesnt make it true. Innocent until proven guilty my friend ;) Besides the tapes were destroyed by Goodell so I guess we will never know.

And see this is why these Brady Manning Patriot Colts arguments become stupid. As then it becomes a Patriots bashing thread eventually.

They were found guilty of taping the Jets defence signals in the first week of 2007 weren't they? That was the season they beat the Eagles in the superbowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677

They were found guilty of taping the Jets defence signals in the first week of 2007 weren't they? That was the season they beat the Eagles in the superbowl.

We won the Superbowl in 2007? Since when?

Super Bowl Championships (3)
    Beat Rams 2001 (XXXVI), Beat Panthers 2003 (XXXVIII), Beat Eagles 2004 (XXXIX)

If you are going to bring up the whole spygate thing at least get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

:confused:

2005 Eagles...?

****, my bad, got the years mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Tom Brady >>>>>> Peyton Manning

• Advertisement

****, my bad, got the years mixed up.

:D Just to give you a brief history of the whole spygate thing. Wikipedia has a very good version of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spygate

:D Just to give you a brief history of the whole spygate thing. Wikipedia has a very good version of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spygate

So they were deducted a pick just for the 2007 incident or did they include the supposed stuff from 2001-2002?

So they were deducted a pick just for the 2007 incident or did they include the supposed stuff from 2001-2002?

Just 2007. As the tapes did not show anything malicious from 2000-2002 and showed no Rams walkthrough before the Superbowl in 2002 and goodell then destroyed all the tapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Tbh when Peyton Manning and Drew Brees retire, their yardage should be marked with an asterisk and in the footnotes should be

*played home games in a dome

That's a ridiculous statement. Shame on you Eagle Eye. There was a lot of talk of asterisks two seasons ago, and i stayed out of it, but to say Brees and Manning should have them by their names is absolute garbage.

I refuse to get into a p!ssing contest with you anymore, but I'll say this: Three weeks ago Manning threw for over 300 yards, and a couple of TD's - he had the ball for 15 minutes. It's always been like that for the guy. He's had a team on his shoulders for ten years and he has the best reg season record in that time. The point is, if you want to point out Brady's handicaps, then you gotta do the same all round.

No idea why you compared 2004 when you could have easily used 2006 when Manning had 19 less att than Brady's 2007 at 557 for 4397 yards. Didnt work out too well for you eh? If you are going to use stats make sure you double check other years just in case. :rolleyes:
    Well the thing is, Brady and Manning both had two perfect seasons, one in 2004 and one in 2007. It's fairly obvious to me. Brady threw a quarter of his total TD's to date in that season alone. So they were fairly one-off seasons, and they were very similar, almost equivalently brilliant, give or take a TD, or rating point or two.
    Outside of this, the deck is stacked in Manning's favour. The thing is, though, some people seem to be citing 2007 as the benchmark for Brady, but aren't offering the same liberty to Manning.

davyjose wrote: »
    Well the thing is, Brady and Manning both had two perfect seasons, one in 2004 and one in 2007. It's fairly obvious to me. Brady threw a quarter of his total TD's to date in that season alone. So they were fairly one-off seasons, and they were very similar, almost equivalently brilliant, give or take a TD, or rating point or two.
    Outside of this, the deck is stacked in Manning's favour. The thing is, though, some people seem to be citing 2007 as the benchmark for Brady, but aren't offering the same liberty to Manning.

I wasnt entering the argument nor do i care about it to be honest. No need to justify anything to me :D. He was using the ATT stat and in fairness as good as 2004 was for manning and 2007 was for brady. Attempts are attempts no matter how good or bad the season was.

The fact this argument kicks off again is silly.:D:D

Let's just all agree that there both not as good as Kyle Orton. :D

Lol, well after all, he doesn't play in a dome.

Most sensible thing said on this thread :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

fisgon wrote: »
    Can't argue with much here except for Orton at no. 8, five whole places ahead of McNabb! And isn't Jamarcus Russel still too high?!!!!!!!!!

looks like i might have marked orton down too much at #8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

D3PO wrote: »
    looks like i might have marked orton down too much at #8
    I wouldn't rank him at all highly based on that. He still threw an interception, all the credit for that win has to go to the D in the second half and the Offensive play calling. Nothing to do with the quarterback in particular, it was the very well balanced playcalling that worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I wouldn't rank him at all highly based on that. He still threw an interception, all the credit for that win has to go to the D in the second half and the Offensive play calling. Nothing to do with the quarterback in particular, it was the very well balanced playcalling that worked.

Lets be fair, Orton was fantastic tonight. Yes the defence was solid, but Orton deserves his fair share of the plaudits.

The INT was basically a hail Mary though, wasn't it? Right at half-time. You can't really call it a bad throw.

Really? Seriously Eagle Eye sometimes I wonder about you ;):D

As someone already said the INT was a hail mary and if you ask me bad play calling by the O Coord. And you can seriously sit there and say the 350 yards and 2 TDs where down to just play calling and everyone around him. Someone has to execute said plays and Orton was fantastic tonight.

Had it been Tom Brady would we be having this debate?

Archimedes wrote: »
    Lets be fair, Orton was fantastic tonight. Yes the defence was solid, but Orton deserves his fair share of the plaudits.
    He wasn't fantastic, above average I'd agree with but nothing more.

I respect your opinion but I will stand by mine 72.91 completion rate and 330 yards and 2 TDs im going to say that was an excellent night for him.

And again had it been Tom Brady would your stance be different?

Really? Seriously Eagle Eye sometimes I wonder about you ;):D

As someone already said the INT was a hail mary and if you ask me bad play calling by the O Coord. And you can seriously sit there and say the 350 yards and 2 TDs where down to just play calling and everyone around him. Someone has to execute said plays and Orton was fantastic tonight.

Had it been Tom Brady would we be having this debate?
    It was 330 yards and a chunk of them came in OT. I'm not dishing the guy at all, I'm just saying that it was a good performance but nothing spectacular. The playcalling played to his strengths which is short to medium range passes. How many long bombs did you see? Did you see him get out of trouble and make completions? Did you see him completing under pressure?
    In fairness he had plenty of time and plenty of open receivers.
    Above average is what I'd call it but nothing spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Well then I guess we disagree. I do wonder what Kyle Orton has to do to win over his critics. Going 5-0 with an offence that was expected to plummet this season is a hell of an achievement.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Well then I guess we disagree. I do wonder what Kyle Orton has to do to win over his critics. Going 5-0 with an offence that was expected to plummet this season is a hell of an achievement.
    I'm not a critic of Kyle Orton either. I do think that Cutler is a better QB than him, but I never criticised Orton at any stage. You can look back through this thread and the Denver Broncos thread and you will see that I didn't at any stage say anything negative about Orton.

The only thing I've ever said about him is that he is never going to throw the long pass, he is not accurate when he throws the ball more than 25 yards.

• Advertisement

It was 330 yards and a chunk of them came in OT. I'm not dishing the guy at all, I'm just saying that it was a good performance but nothing spectacular. The playcalling played to his strengths which is short to medium range passes. How many long bombs did you see? Did you see him get out of trouble and make completions? Did you see him completing under pressure?
    In fairness he had plenty of time and plenty of open receivers.
    Above average is what I'd call it but nothing spectacular.

Ok Dude seriously? You think because he didnt throw long balls he is just average. :rolleyes:

You always play to your QBs strengths that is FACT! Anything else would be pure madness. That is the Key to playcalling and getting the best out of your players especially your QB. To be a good QB you dont need to be launching balls downfield to win games all the time. Just because certain QBs can doesnt make it the norm.

Short to Medium passes when thrown on the money can make or break and drive. Having WR who can find those holes across the middle and the space outside is key and some of the hardest throws you will ever make are into coverage. Which Orton did alot of tonight.

And now onto to your loads of time analogy. Ok Tom Brady 2007 so his season wasnt spectaculor either then? Those 50 TDs werent great? Because our o-line and backs gave him all the time in the world to throw and find his WR. So that analogy by you fails really.

Advertisement