Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

300DPI??

• 07-10-2009 11:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭

I understand that it is a measure of quality, dots per inch.

But how do I make something 300DPI in photoshop?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

DPI is a printing term. Do you mean PPI? If so, in the menu toolbar click image then image size, then change the resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

go to image>image size this will bring up a size adjustment box in the 5th(last) box called recolution change the value in the drop down box to pixels/inch and change the box to 300, it will change the image size accordingly, however once youve changed this to 300 if the picture is to big you can change the image size again and it will still stay at 300 dpi once youve done that first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

go to image>image size this will bring up a size adjustment box in the 5th(last) box called recolution change the value in the drop down box to pixels/inch and change the box to 300, it will change the image size accordingly, however once youve changed this to 300 if the picture is to big you can change the image size again and it will still stay at 300 dpi once youve done that first

And there's no earthly reason why you'd want to do this. Taken by itself the figure is almost completely meaningless. Merely setting your DPI to 300 won't magically increase your image quality. If you MUST do it then set it but unclick the 'resample image' checkbox or whatever its called. This will not change the size of the image.

Its only worthy of consideration when you're thinking of printing something out, to check if the image resolution is of an appropriate size to get a good quality print. 300 DPI/PPI is generally what people regard as a minimum for average sized prints, so if you're looking to get (say) a 10x8 you'll need an image with at least 3000x2400 or so to get a 300 DPI print. That's the only point really worthy of consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fionn wrote: »

That's some tutorial about how to resize images. It's not particularly relevent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

yes you are correct, its a short tut on resizing, I may be wrong but i suspect that was what the op was asking about - (how to change the ppi and not the dpi). The terms dpi and ppi seem to be used very loosly in a lot of tutorials.

Anyway the main thing is, dpi has nothing whatsover to do with the digital image quality!!
    dpi is only relevant to either scanning or printing.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Fionn wrote: »
    yes you are correct, its a short tut on resizing, I may be wrong but i suspect that was what the op was asking about - (how to change the ppi and not the dpi). The terms dpi and ppi seem to be used very loosly in a lot of tutorials.

Anyway the main thing is, dpi has nothing whatsover to do with the digital image quality!!
    dpi is only relevant to either scanning or printing.

:)

Think it was DPI, but could have been a mistake.
    Thanks all!

Advertisement