Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modding the Wii v4.2e

Options
  • 08-10-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

I know, I probably shouldn't have updated :D

Anyways, I've used bannerbomb v200 alpha to load boot.elf from BootMii v0.6 and it worked a treat. I was in the bootMii menu there, installed DVDx, HBC and BootMii as an IOS.

Now I'm not sure about installing BootMii as an IOS - was I right? It's obviously working because I've just taken a NAND dump using BootMii ...but should I have installed BootMii as a boot2? Did v4.2 close the option of installing BootMii as boot2?

As I read it, using BootMii as boot2 overwrites the Nintendo boot2 (which was upgraded to boot2v4 when I updated the Wii). However, the major advantage to installing BootMii as boot2 is that it makes your Wii practically unbrickable once you've taken the step of backing up your NAND RAM

So your opinions & advice would be much appreciated. Meanwhile, I'll be grabbing me some Homebrews like the ones in this video that made me want to take the WiiBrew plunge after 2 years :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As far as I remember, Bootmii as an IOS does NOT have the capability to revive the console should it be bricked. Certainly not if the Boot2 gets corrupted, as all IOS/CIOS's are loaded after boot2. Im open to correction on that....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

All the info you need should be here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Enternow, you're correct - Installing BootMii as an IOS doesn't render the Wii unbrickable.
    animaX wrote: »
    All the info you need should be here

I've read that, and the blogs before/after it too - it just doesn't really answer my question.

1) Can I still install BootMii as boot2?
    2) If I can, and I do, does that erase boot2v4 (which some games will require/force-update eventually)

1) Can I still install BootMii as boot2?
    2) If I can, and I do, does that erase boot2v4 (which some games will require/force-update eventually)

I'm not too sure to be honest, since I haven't upgraded yet. But there are a lot of experts in the forums at gbatemp!

I read around, didn't see all that much about 4.2e and boot2 so I decided I'd give it a go and it worked. I've now got BootMii installed as boot2 so that's the "practically unbrickable" bit sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 tibomalfet

can someone in plain english, tell me how t soft mod the wii. I installed the update v4.2e this morning, have gone through numerous sites downloaded numerous boot.elf and so on, and every time i try go into my sd card it just freezes, am i doing something wrong ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

We need to know some more details. What exactly have you done so far?

tibomalfet wrote: »
    can someone in plain english, tell me how t soft mod the wii. I installed the update v4.2e this morning, have gone through numerous sites downloaded numerous boot.elf and so on, and every time i try go into my sd card it just freezes, am i doing something wrong ?

Follow this and you can't go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I did this on Sunday, I am computer literate alright, but prior to softmodding the Wii had done nothing more exciting than shove disks in it and play before.

My Wii was 4.2E and one of the newer ones which unfortunately doesn't allow you to install Bootmii as a boot2.

I decided to go for HBC + Bootmii + IOS249 + USBloader and play backups from hardrive.

I followed this guide, and found it to be excellent. It was precise and the whole softmod threw up nothing that wasnt per the guide. Cept for making a backup with Bootmii, you need your SD card in the machine to run Bootmii otherwise you just get a black screen.

http://gwht.wikidot.com/homebrew-channel

hey all, thanks for the advice, used a site called wehackwii and everything was brilliant all working now, [witness]i asked for something bold[/witness]

• Advertisement

hey all, thanks for the advice, used a site called wehackwii and everything was brilliant all working now, just need to find a good site for games, where they are not all in a million pieces!!!! any adeas?

I'd advise you to quit typing stuff like that on boards.ie - Piracy, or talking about modding/mods as a means to play pirated games is not tolerated here.

Buy your games, use your newly cracked Wii for the homebrew scene

Yeah ok then mate whatever you say, what do you think 99% of people are hacking their wii's for anyway? to play homebrew games? ha ok

Listen, mate, read the sticky at the top of the forum.

ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

3 month ban for tibomalfet for asking where to acquire pirated games

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Inquitus wrote: »
    Cept for making a backup with Bootmii, you need your SD card in the machine to run Bootmii otherwise you just get a black screen.

As far as I can see you get a black screen if you have an SD without BootMii on it in, but if the slot is empty it's ok.

Advertisement