Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD graduates!!

Options
  • 08-10-2009 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

I just graduated from Engineering and there seems to be nothing out there. I try to apply to jobs slightly out of my area of study and all I get told is that I don't have the relevant qualification. I thought Eng. was a bankable degree to study, I kind of regret it now to be honest.
    Any other grads job hunting or (shock horror) found a job yet?
    What did you graduate from and what line of work do you now work in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I decided to take option (c): moar college!

BSc CS, now doing an MSc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭pepsi1234

I decided to take option (c): moar college!

BSc CS, now doing an MSc.

wow, more college! I remember reading that you took the scenic route to your degree so fair play for going back after graduating.

I have no desire to do a post-grad yet (anyway it's too late to apply) so I'm stuck with the job hunt......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

i think it varies depending on your particular discipline.

I'm in final year eng and companies are already approaching my class!

You say you are applying for areas out of your field, have you already tried all those in your field or not interested after degree?

muboop1 wrote: »
    i think it varies depending on your particular discipline.

I'm in final year eng and companies are already approaching my class!

You say you are applying for areas out of your field, have you already tried all those in your field or not interested after degree?

I'm targeting mostly the the companies listed on GradIreland.com. I'm looking to work mainly for pharma companies (I studied Chem Eng).
    What companies have approached your class?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

ha, chem eng!

My field!

Eli Lilly had interviews last week.

Most are recruiting at the moment, merck have applications due in today,

Rest will be coming along.

Oh and abbot are recruiting.

more and more will be coming in.

Not going to ask who you are because i probably know you, but anyway!

Did you apply in your final year as they came up?

Maybe give PK an email or aoife carney(assuming you know who they are??) asking them to include you in their email about job prospects.

beyond that, alot of companies don't advertise their things on gradireland etc...

Get a list of all the pharmaceutical companies and look on their websites themselves!

You probably know, that the pharma industry wasn't hit in recession like the rest... its expanding!

Did you get an internship during any of your summers?

• Advertisement

muboop1 wrote: »
    ha, chem eng!

My field!

Eli Lilly had interviews last week.

Most are recruiting at the moment, merck have applications due in today,

Rest will be coming along.

Oh and abbot are recruiting.

more and more will be coming in.

Not going to ask who you are because i probably know you, but anyway!

Did you apply in your final year as they came up?

Maybe give PK an email or aoife carney(assuming you know who they are??) asking them to include you in their email about job prospects.

beyond that, alot of companies don't advertise their things on gradireland etc...

Get a list of all the pharmaceutical companies and look on their websites themselves!

You probably know, that the pharma industry wasn't hit in recession like the rest... its expanding!

Did you get an internship during any of your summers?

Thanks for that.
    Final year is a bit of a blur, I can only vaguely remember a few coming in to interview. Anyway due to family stuff I've only been able to apply for jobs in the last 2 weeks and I knew that in final year anyway. So, I kind of missed the boat there.
    I will send Aoife an email. I've sent you a PM to talk about off topic things.

Any other UCD grads find employment yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

pepsi1234 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Final year is a bit of a blur, I can only vaguely remember a few coming in to interview. Anyway due to family stuff I've only been able to apply for jobs in the last 2 weeks and I knew that in final year anyway. So, I kind of missed the boat there.
    I will send Aoife an email. I've sent you a PM to talk about off topic things.

Any other UCD grads find employment yet?

I got 3 months work in Maynooth doing research, but that's just about it. Doing an MSc now and see what way things are in a years time. I think it's time to abandon ship!;)

El Siglo wrote: »
    I got 3 months work in Maynooth doing research, but that's just about it. Doing an MSc now and see what way things are in a years time. I think it's time to abandon ship!;)

Things should have improved a lot by then. The next 6 months are going to be rough jobs wise for the economy.

Things should have improved a lot by then. The next 6 months are going to be rough jobs wise for the economy.

I doubt it, everywhere else will be getting over the recession while we're still rearranging deck chairs on the titanic! Personally, I'd rather get out of this shit hole, I'm just sick of Ireland now!:D

El Siglo wrote: »
    I doubt it, everywhere else will be getting over the recession while we're still rearranging deck chairs on the titanic! Personally, I'd rather get out of this shit hole, I'm just sick of Ireland now!:D

I see what you mean. I'm dying to go back to Asia teaching English because I had the time of my life there.
    It's just that I want to get 1 year or more experience with a job relevant to my degree first so when I come back after a few year's dossing I won't be starting from the bottom :D

• Advertisement

I see what you mean. I'm dying to go back to Asia teaching English because I had the time of my life there.
    It's just that I want to get 1 year or more experience with a job relevant to my degree first so when I come back after a few year's dossing I won't be starting from the bottom :D

Fair enough! You should start looking into unpaid work experience, it's 1 way of getting your foot in the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

I'm currently trhough to the second round of interviews for a job in Audit. Finger crossed I'll be working by middle of November.

Graduated with a B.Comm, decided not to do a post-grad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Leave the country...

From what I've heard from our year, the following are true:

Most people who have a job, left the country. Have you tried applying for places in Europe/EU? If you have any bit of a language it could stand to you and then if you get an internship say in France, come home being able to speak French, then you've got 2 skills!

Most people went and did a masters/phd. In Elec its something like 3 people have jobs in engineering, about 5/6 are doing phds and another 5/6 are doing masters. It's what I'll probably do next year if I can't find a job!

I've applied for a few jobs in the UK as well. It seems that only big multinationals/corporations are hiring graduates and they have graduate programmes that only start in 2010.
    I'm afraid I'll have a huge gap on my CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I've applied for a few jobs in the UK as well. It seems that only big multinationals/corporations are hiring graduates and they have graduate programmes that only start in 2010.
    I'm afraid I'll have a huge gap on my CV.

Whats the deal with having a gap on your cv-why does it look bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's just a general thing that could indicate that you're lazy or unreliable, but it's not something to get too worried about, in my opinion:
    • it would have to be a major gap before it appears on a CV at all - several months at least;
    • employers are not stupid, generally. They understand such things as recessions, family commitments or holidays after long-term study. If you meet an employer who complains about e.g. a summer spent working part-time on a farm, they're probably not a good employer. (I met one of those, an accountant who didn't like that I played in a band, and I could tell it was a lost cause straight away.)
    • it's possible to bluff, but don't get caught out, especially if there is paperwork required. Honesty is the best policy if in doubt. For example, I used to do contract IT work in the UK, and didn't feel I had to mention the months when I had no work.
    • Expect more questions about recent work, and gaps, than old ones, which shouldn't take much space on your CV anyway.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

I graduated from UCD with a BSc in Statistics in 2006 and a Higher Diploma in Statistics in 2008 and the only work I'm getting at the moment is a couple of days here and there as an extra on a TV show.

Granted, I don't like Statistics :o, but still...

Slippers wrote: »
    I graduated from UCD with a BSc in Statistics in 2006 and a Higher Diploma in Statistics in 2008 and the only work I'm getting at the moment is a couple of days here and there as an extra on a TV show.

Granted, I don't like Statistics :o, but still...

I hear Abbot hire Statisticians, especially at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

I plan to come back to UCD in September to study economics. I wouldn't feel right applying to proper graduate jobs if I am just going to walkout on them but thanks for the suggestion.

Advertisement