Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

collecting native tree seeds

Options
  • 08-10-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Hi there.
    does anybody have any useful hints/tips in relation to collecting seeds from ash ,alder,rowan and whitethorn. They are all growing well around the area and I would like to use local seeds if possible to try and do my bit.All advice greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Hangsangwich

jonny d wrote: »
    Hi there.
    does anybody have any useful hints/tips in relation to collecting seeds from ash ,alder,rowan and whitethorn. They are all growing well around the area and I would like to use local seeds if possible to try and do my bit.All advice greatly appreciated.:)

Naturally, only select good sized unblemished and undamaged seeds. Collect them and store them over the winter. Get a biscuit tin, put a few holes in it with a nail(small enough to prevent mice invasions), put a layer of moist builders sand in it, then put a layer of seeds in it. Repeat with another layer of moist sand and seeds and top off with a third top layer of moist sand. It can be left outside or in a shed/garage. Check every two weeks or so for moisture. By the beginning of March, they will be ready to plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Enfo have a very good, informative laminated sheet describing how to save/over winter lots of native tree seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭jonny d

tampopo wrote: »
    Enfo have a very good, informative laminated sheet describing how to save/over winter lots of native tree seeds.

enfo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

jonny d wrote: »
    Hi there.

Local seeds will give you the best chance of success. A matter of fact article written on growing native trees from seed that I have in my bookmarks http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1742.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
Advertisement