Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US finest, cop scum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Now thats a Sasha. Ppproom pprooom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui2qK6AiaTA

US cops are OK...so long as you agree with everything they say and never argue with them...

Reindeer wrote: »

US cops are OK...so long as you agree with everything they say and never argue with them...
    watch the whole video. he jumped the gun by not cuffing her, but that woman did herself no favors.

Theres a time and a place to argue with police: traffic court. not the side of I20 after dusk.

We have a parallel here on boards where posters try to argue in thread with forum moderators. you dont do it. you go to help desk. you take it to an admin. an admin deals with it. You, at the side of I26, take a badge number and go to the PD, or save it for your summons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

SteveS wrote: »
    Good luck. Sorry, but you knew this was coming:

Actually, I more had this in mind.

736px-Chp-CE206-N441HP-KBFL-070207.jpg

There's only about a $5,000/year bonus for motorcycle duty. I'd be pulling in about $25,000/year extra by leveraging my pilot's licence. Not least, I'm really not a fan of motorcycles anyway and they have 14 fixed-wing singles to fly.

Still, one has to do two years' patrol before moving to Air Ops, and their Chargers do look pretty mean. Can you imagine this tailgating you?

3639938587_c5fa4d593f.jpg

"Pull over... or else!" Sortof beats the Garda Traffic Corps' Ford Mondeo...

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Reindeer wrote: »

Yeah the nerve of US Police Officers. Expecting you to follow the law and not cop an attitude with them. The nerve of them. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Yeah the nerve of US Police Officers. Expecting you to follow the law and not cop an attitude with them. The nerve of them. :rolleyes:
    Did you see the the video in the OP? That was ridiculous.

This is slightly OT, but is it illegal to swear in public in America?

I'm not aware of anything specifically on point, but it can probably fall under Breach of the Peace or some such if it's taken beyond 'reasonable'. E.g. someone swearing loudly and continuously in church or Disneyland or somewhere.

NTM

DoireNod wrote: »
    Did you see the the video in the OP? That was ridiculous.

This is slightly OT, but is it illegal to swear in public in America?
    youre trying to imply the woman got tasered for swearing?

good luck with that.

Overheal wrote: »
    youre trying to imply the woman got tasered for swearing?

good luck with that.
    Nope. You're jumping to conclusions. I was genuinely curious.

, but is it illegal to swear in public in America?

No but its a really stupid thing to do. Why curse and swear at a guy with a gun on his side.

• Advertisement

No but its a really stupid thing to do. Why curse and swear at a guy with a gun on his side.
    It's really stupid to swear in public? I don't think that swearing in public is any indication of intelligence and if it's not illegal, then police, who are in a position of authority should know better - I've seen footage where a cop in Rochester NY claims that he's arresting a guy for swearing in public. That was what aroused my suspicions with regard to swearing in public in the States.

It's really stupid to swear in public?

No. Its stupid to swear to a Police Officer. Get it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

No. Its stupid to swear to a Police Officer. Get it now?

Very stupid, though not illegal.

Just because its not illegal does not mean you can do it. They wouldn't do it to anybody person carrying a gun so I don't know why people feel they can get away with it when it comes to Police Officers.

It's really stupid to swear in public? I don't think that swearing in public is any indication of intelligence and if it's not illegal, then police, who are in a position of authority should know better - I've seen footage where a cop in Rochester NY claims that he's arresting a guy for swearing in public. That was what aroused my suspicions with regard to swearing in public in the States.
    who knows what gets into cops heads. They anticipate hostility from everyone. You do not want to give them any justification for it.

Not a cop but http://consumerist.com/5187429/

Just because its not illegal does not mean you can do it. They wouldn't do it to anybody person carrying a gun so I don't know why people feel they can get away with it when it comes to Police Officers.

Generally, speaking, anything that is not specifically prohibited is permissible. That doesn't mean it is wise. Police have a great deal of power, but they can't arrest people for things that aren't crimes, nor may they use lethal or non-lethal force against someone that swears or otherwise annoys them.

In reality, if a person were arrested for swearing, I seriously doubt the prosecuting attorney (in most jurisdictions I am familiar with) would bring up charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I don't think it's illegal to spit at someone or flick a bogey in their direction either, but normal people would have enough cop on and respect not to do it.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I don't think it's illegal to spit at someone or flick a bogey in their direction either, but normal people would have enough cop on and respect not to do it.
    Yeah, it's disrespectful, but the point is that it isn't an arrestable offence and even if the cop isn't happy about being sweared at or spat at, their job is still to uphold the law. If every cop arrested people who called them names, we'd have a serious problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If every cop arrested people who called them names, we'd have a serious problem.

True. But the underlying issue is that if people showed a bit more respect, then all would be OK.

I know there's the argument that people in authority need to deserve respect, too, so anyone who's encountered a bad egg then has a chip on their shoulder (sometimes justifiably, sometimes not) but that's then a circular path that just leads to a disaster.

Hard to say what's right from then on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kilkenny_kid

Is there any over there like a police force in London who around checking unlocked cars for precious items, and taking them, as a reminder to owners to keep their doors locked, their windows closed and their valuables with them. And occasionaly leaving a note to say what happend. I guess all sorts of things happen when you work for, and to also have the law on your side.

• Advertisement

Is there any over there like a police force in London who around checking unlocked cars for precious items, and taking them, as a reminder to owners to keep their doors locked, their windows closed and their valuables with them. And occasionaly leaving a note to say what happend. I guess all sorts of things happen when you work for, and to also have the law on your side.
    linknowplz

No need, I remember that article when it came out a month or so ago.

It would never fly in the US. The police would be sued faster than you can say 'Fourth Amendment'

NTM

Generally, speaking, anything that is not specifically prohibited is permissible. That doesn't mean it is wise. Police have a great deal of power, but they can't arrest people for things that aren't crimes, nor may they use lethal or non-lethal force against someone that swears or otherwise annoys them.

In reality, if a person were arrested for swearing, I seriously doubt the prosecuting attorney (in most jurisdictions I am familiar with) would bring up charges.

Realistically you can be arrested and prosecuted for Disturbing the Peace if you are making a big enough scene [and let's face it alot of these "F the Police" are doing it to make a scene]

Realistically you can be arrested and prosecuted for Disturbing the Peace if you are making a big enough scene [and let's face it alot of these "F the Police" are doing it to make a scene]

That would be the only possibility and it would have to be a pretty big scene. Saying "F the police" or carrying a sign that says "F the police" isn't going to be enough. We have some pretty offensive protests, marches, etc. here and directing your angst and anger at the police isn't going to get you in any more trouble than directing it at any other group or governmental entity.

Realistically, most prosecutors that I know aren't going to want cases like these unless it involves a serious breach of peace, such as a person being destructive and/or violent. Anything less, they run the risk of the ALCU or another civil liberty group getting involved. There is also a substantial amount of case law that protects speech, even offensive speech.

That would be the only possibility and it would have to be a pretty big scene. Saying "F the police" or carrying a sign that says "F the police" isn't going to be enough. We have some pretty offensive protests, marches, etc. here and directing your angst and anger at the police isn't going to get you in any more trouble than directing it at any other group or governmental entity.

These idiots that think they are being cool or whatever being a belligerant asshole to the Police Officers have every intention of making a big enough scene. I have no sympathy for them when thye get arrested.
    Realistically, most prosecutors that I know aren't going to want cases like these unless it involves a serious breach of peace, such as a person being destructive and/or violent. Anything less, they run the risk of the ALCU or another civil liberty group getting involved. There is also a substantial amount of case law that protects speech, even offensive speech.

With all due respect. **** THE ACLU. That is the biggest bunch of scumbags walking the face of God's Green Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

These idiots that think they are being cool or whatever being a belligerant asshole to the Police Officers have every intention of making a big enough scene. I have no sympathy for them when thye get arrested.

With all due respect. **** THE ACLU. That is the biggest bunch of scumbags walking the face of God's Green Earth.
    Hi John,
    I think it's more a sign of the growth of a society. Just as individuals go through different developmental stages so too do larger systems. What generally seems to be happening is a adolescent-type behavior in terms of relations with systems of authority.

Perfectly healthy in my opinion, a questioning of current control and authority systems. Testing the limits of what's possible, etc, etc.

Unfortunately the reactions of the parents (i.e. government) is generally that of a new uneducated parent.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ohhhhhhhh you got Burned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

GuanYin wrote: »

Manhandling a couple people?
    And you reckon that is the same thing as the outrages commited in the US?

• Advertisement

RedPlanet wrote: »
    Manhandling a couple people?
    And you reckon that is the same thing as the outrages commited in the US?
    On the occasion in question, the sisters were with a group of friends on Grafton Street in Dublin when a white car reversed towards them at speed at around 1.00am.
    Gráinne Walsh was in the path of the car and slapped her hands on the boot to alert the driver to their presence. She was not aware the car was an unmarked garda vehicle.
    Ms Walsh claimed a Garda, who was aggressive and enraged, jumped from the car, grabbed her violently and pushed her towards a garda van. When she resisted she was handcuffed and forced onto the van floor.
    Her sister Ciara intervened and was also pulled into the van. Gráinne Walsh claimed she suffered further assault when she was taken from the van to the garda station. Both women were held in a locked cell until they were released without charge. They were later summonsed but the charges were dismissed by the District Court.

Yes, I think she was comparing. Thanks.

Advertisement