Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is This A Good Deal?

Options
  • 07-10-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

if anyone can help me out here found this pc was thinking about buying from a uk company who will ship to irl specs are : AMD Quad Phenom64 9650 9.2 hz, nvidia geforce 8200tc 1gb graphics card(think this is pretty standard no?), 4gig RAM, 20x dvd rw dual layer/format, and 500gb hard drive all for 271 euro... does that sound like a fairly decent deal to anyone need some opinions pls!thx.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If it's for gaming you'd need to get a much more powerful graphics card and possibly a better power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 2xensemble

If it's for gaming you'd need to get a much more powerful graphics card and possibly a better power supply.

i was actually thinking along those lines, im a born again student at the moment tho so the cash is pretty tight... but for the price with regards to the processor and that do ya think its a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

2xensemble wrote: »
    i was actually thinking along those lines, im a born again student at the moment tho so the cash is pretty tight... but for the price with regards to the processor and that do ya think its a good deal?

It's grand for the price but it's not a gaming PC but you could always add a new graphics card and maybe a new PSU down the line as already mentioned.
    Have you got a link to the PC? I'm a bit concerned that they advertised it as a 9.2ghz CPU (Or was that a miscalculation on your part?)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's grand for the price but it's not a gaming PC but you could always add a new graphics card and maybe a new PSU down the line as already mentioned.
    Have you got a link to the PC? I'm a bit concerned that they advertised it as a 9.2ghz CPU (Or was that a miscalculation on your part?)
    the 9Ghz is the actual clock speed x 4 because it's a quad core. I've seen it a lot on ebay.

palicomp is the company found this link off the website for ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ie/AMD-QUAD-PHENOM-9650-9-2Ghz-4GB-500GB-8200-1GB-CVO_W0QQitemZ350255470212QQihZ022QQcategoryZ179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

im always very weary of anything on ebay ... once bitten...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

the 9Ghz is the actual clock speed x 4 because it's a quad core. I've seen it a lot on ebay.

I've seen it before myself and that's why I asked as it can be used as a tactic to lure in sales.
    I completely disagree with that practice and will email their webmaster if that were the case.

I've seen it before myself and that's why I asked as it can be used as a tactic to lure in sales.
    I completely disagree with that practice and will email their webmaster if that were the case.
    Yeah it's pretty underhanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

The way i see it is, if the person believes that the processor is actually 9ghz they don't know what their doing anyway...
    However It's sucky though for someone trying to compare systems!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Moved from Bargain Alerts for obvious reasons :rolleyes:

2xensemble, I decided to stick this in its own thread to avoid dragging the Budget Gaming PC sticky into confusion (posts would have merged chronologically, potentially resulting in two different conversations getting hopelessly crossed :o). You can continue the conversation here if you want but I recommend you have a look at some of the recent posts over there if you're considering such a build; wherever you go just remember to give us your budget, needs, what you already have/can re-use etc. :)

In any case I wouldn't recommend a cheapie eBay system, that's for sure! Old, outdated CPU, naff budget motherboard that'll give up the ghost at some point, horrifically cheap and nasty case and power supply and horrid graphics to boot. You'd spend more buying it and then cutting out the dross and upgrading all that needs to be done on it than you would on buying the right stuff in the first place :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Just out of curiousity, I tried building the cheapest quadcore I could on hws, despite the high ram prices still came in under 300 euro

I reckon you could get those PC's from hws, order them in and sell them on Irish ebay with the usual '9GHZ QUADCORE ULTRA GAMING MACHINE' and probably make a few bucks.

• Advertisement

That's what ankermann do...

Anywho, op what do you want to do with this pc? and how much of a budget do you have

Well basically got nothing left from my old pc except mouse and 22" monitor as pretty much everything else of value was stolen from the house around a month ago so... im looking to get best i can out of max 400E!:pac:

pretty much everything else of value was stolen from the house around a month ago so...

OMG they left the 22" monitor!
    Seriously though that's rough...

Adverts.ie might be your friend???

Otherwise you should be looking at a dualie, with a 4850...
    Unfortunately the build i just made here is a wee bit over budget at €460(delivered) you could however skimp a bit on the cpu and if you don't think you'll need a terrabyte of storage that's a few extra bucks saved there too!
    The 4850 is a little lightweight at 1080 but it has turned into a good budget card which is what you need! You might be able to improve the build by getting somethings off adverts though...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well basically got nothing left from my old pc except mouse and 22" monitor as pretty much everything else of value was stolen from the house around a month ago so... im looking to get best i can out of max 400E!:pac:

wanna get the most out of 400 euro? shop around, for bits and bobs. put a pc together yourself. the basic guides to building pcs are here. have fun and be adventurous!

i recommend ebuyer, komplett and hardwarsevererverservered (:P) for starters.

Effluo wrote: »
    OMG they left the 22" monitor!
    Seriously though that's rough... I got my stuff in college insured on my home house insurance!
    yep! only cause the bracket was bolted down to the table Im sure it would have been gone too!=:mad:

yep! only cause the bracket was bolted down to the table Im sure it would have been gone too!=:mad:

I edited that post and included a suggestion in case you missed it

i recommend ebuyer, komplett and hardwarsevererverservered

This isn't Shooting Stars y'know :P

I hope that €400 doesn't include OS... if it does you're in for some serious pain...

If all you need are a cheapie keyboard and mouse and you have a spare OS, still have the Product Key or some other way of getting one then try this for under €400 shipped:

HWVS081009.png

CPU should be fine with most games (that aren't GTA4). Mobo is good but might need a BIOS update to run at full speed with an AM3 CPU sitting in it ;) Graphics are also fine, although if that 22" is a 1080p monitor I'd recommend using Catalyst's Overdrive to push the GPU and (especially) memory speeds up a notch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

this is more of a bargain,
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-DIMENSION-XPS-GEN-4-COMPUTER-SYSTEM-PC_W0QQitemZ330364288394QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_DesktopPCs?hash=item4ceb3efd8a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 look at all the extras,your get zero with your 271 euro pc no screen no nothing,
    with this you get it all, so what if it second hand, its harly used! and was 1500 when new,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

argosy2006 wrote: »
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-DIMENSION-XPS-GEN-4-COMPUTER-SYSTEM-PC_W0QQitemZ330364288394QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_DesktopPCs?hash=item4ceb3efd8a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 look at all the extras,your get zero with your 271 euro pc no screen no nothing,
    with this you get it all, so what if it second hand, its harly used! and was 1500 when new,

i hope you're joking

argosy2006 wrote: »

eh.... NO!!!

Know you're tryin to be helpful, but this is not what the op needs...

The pc there is prob worth... around €220 with all the accessories!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Effluo wrote: »
    eh.... NO!!!

Know you're tryin to be helpful, but this is not what the op needs...

The pc there is prob worth... around €220 with all the accessories!

so its crap? why explain? im using pc i got for free, and its a flyer!

Don't get me wrong but that thing would definately run google chrome quite well, skype, a word processor + other such but the op wants something for gaming... And this although more powerful than the netbooks + some laptops flying around it is not suitable for the op ;)

argosy2006, that system you linked is now several generations behind current technology. We're talking several orders of magnitude difference in performance between that system and the modern cheapie rig I put up.

Advertisement