Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should the ladies lounge be just for ladies?

Options
  • 08-10-2009 4:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I posted a pic of myself when I was 12 with my pet cock Jordan and got banned for being sleazy, a 1 month ban!
    tbh the ban doesnt bother me(it was over a week ago) as I dont really go to that forum too often anyway, but I dont see how I can get banned for a simple pun.

why not make it female only if men arent actually welcome, I cant cut off blood supply to my balls just to post in a forum, I cant deny my inner man side making a cock joke, but I did actually have a pet cock and I thought it was a cute joke, not a sleazy joke. I feel like I was punished for being a man.

heres the offending photo 6831_295370425603_681875603_9369983_7060047_n.jpg
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That's a big cock you got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A proud specimen indeed! Lucky you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Men are welcome there.... they just "don't take kindly to your type around here"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Its clearly not a problem with cocks.

Its the Dublin GAA Jersey.

You should have been more careful.

Now you may never find a woman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Why would you want to post in a forum designed for women to talk about fashion, periods and men?

I don't get why men post there at all tbh, but I do understand why women linger in the male targetted forums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sounds like you are banned for being a dick rather then it having anything to do with your rooster or your cock.

So you got banned cos you didn't abide by the rules and think that all male posters should there for be banned cos your not allowed post there for a month?

Yeah right that will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I post in TLL, but I wouldn't be interested in becoming a regular or central poster there. I tend to only post in threads where I can give advice (e.g. weightloss). I leave the social aspect well alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Sounds like you are banned for being a dick rather then it having anything to do with your rooster or your cock.

Thats a bit harsh IMO.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I post in TLL, but I wouldn't be interested in becoming a regular or central poster there. I tend to only post in threads where I can give advice (e.g. weightloss). I leave the social aspect well alone.

I'm the same, one or two threads are fun but otherwise I wouldn't bother with TLL.

The 'know your loungers' thread is good ol' craic, but other than that it beats the crap out of me why a guy would want to be a regular contributor.

I've moderated on two bodybuilding boards which had ladies forum, but like lolcaust, soccer and other's here they were invite only.

Plus OP, you have to accept that save for a very small minority, women just don't have the same sense of humour men have.

Btw, great cock for a 12yr old - but who's that playing with it?.

Thats a bit harsh IMO.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_civil
    Be Civil (Don't be a dick)

The internet is full of anonymous keyboard warriors being rude to each other. We don’t want that here. We're not saying you have to be super-nice to everyone and sign each post with a little heart, but we DO require that you are at least CIVIL to the humans on the other end of this intertube. Everyone is tired of the muppets online and if you feel you must be a dick to others, you aren’t welcome here.

For context.

I've moderated on two bodybuilding boards which had ladies forum, but like lolcaust, soccer and other's here they were invite only.

So cos some people can't exercise some modicom of control and obey the site rules and rules of the forum it should be made restricted?
    Surely that goes against part of the point and premise of the forum to have a space on boards to encourage female posters.
    Plus OP, you have to accept that save for a very small minority, women just don't have the same sense of humour men have.

Btw, great cock for a 12yr old - but who's that playing with it?.

Again context there is a time and place for such jokes and there are times and places where it's out of order.

I posted a pic of myself when I was 12 with my pet cock Jordan and got banned for being sleazy, a 1 month ban!
    tbh the ban doesnt bother me(it was over a week ago) as I dont really go to that forum too often anyway, but I dont see how I can get banned for a simple pun.

why not make it female only if men arent actually welcome, I cant cut off blood supply to my balls just to post in a forum, I cant deny my inner man side making a cock joke, but I did actually have a pet cock and I thought it was a cute joke, not a sleazy joke. I feel like I was punished for being a man.

Dude if your complaint is that the mods of the forum banned you just for being a man then go to the helpdesk rather then trying to muddy the water about the forum should be restricted access.

I think it looks like you fell foul of the rules of the forum which had to be put in place due to too many guys wanting to go in there and be attentions whores which was ruffling too many feathers.

Yes it's a bit of a chicken and the egg scenario and you prolly weren't aware
    of how much trouble there has been in the forum over sleaziods but alas you can't make an omelette with out breaking a few eggs, if you really weren't trying to be a fox in the hen house then start your helpdesk thread and you may find that the mods reasonable and will see you weren't trying to flush out some game birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Anyone who thinks that boards.ie is going to start engaging in blatantly sexist policies for enforcing access to forums is joking themselves.

kumate: It's clearly because you posted a picture of a cock that you got banned.

Should we make BGRH "Men only"?

• Advertisement

BGRH is not a good counter example, if there are no wimmins allowed the brothers would fade away with out rasher sambos and affection.

The Gentleman's Culb would be the better counterpart to the ladies lounge,
    but why they are in separate Cats, has always boggled me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

but why they are in separate Cats, has always boggled me.

Ones a lounge, the others a club :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The 'know your loungers' thread is good ol' craic, but other than that it beats the crap out of me why a guy would want to be a regular contributor.

I would just put it down to men wanting to be the life and soul in a room mostly full of female posters. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq_guidelines#faq_bie_faq_guidelines_civil

For context.

So cos some people can't exercise some modicom of control and obey the site rules and rules of the forum it should be made restricted?
    Surely that goes against part of the point and premise of the forum to have a space on boards to encourage female posters.

Again context there is a time and place for such jokes and there are times and places where it's out of order.

Cool about the dick thing.

The forum I'm taking about are that way so women can feel more comfortable chatting about women's issues and away from casual browsing thats all.

Nothing sexest about it at all.

As regards humour, well when you get one we'll chat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I think the OP posted in the 'Know your Loungers' thread a few times and included details of his sexual/dating history/preferences, which was a bit creepy given the overall tone of that thread. I remember a mod editing his posts and posting a warning on at least one occasion.
    So this
    FAQ wrote:
    Be Civil (Don't be a dick)
    probably applies in the mods view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Rb wrote: »
    Why would you want to post in a forum designed for women to talk about fashion, periods and men?

pretty much that. dont see the point of men posting there at all but id say 50% of that forum is men. "well from a male perspective..." oh thank the f**kin lord there is a man in this forum designed for women who will be able to provide sage advice. stop being bored and desperate, tis as simple as that.
    and the OP got banned for posting an image of himself when he was 12 with a rooster (called Jordan) and saying "me aged 12 with my pet cock Jordan" ?
    and he got banned under the 'don't be a dick / at mods discretion' rule?

f**kin hell. lighten up
    lafortezza wrote:
    I remember a mod editing his posts and posting a warning on at least one occasion.
    So this:
    'Originally Posted by FAQ
    Be Civil (Don't be a dick)'
    probably applies in the mods view.

so that basically sounds like the mods had a little grudge on him already and just wanted to ban him. what he posted to get banned for was not a bannable offence but they just wanted to, so they did and then they went "don't be a dick"
    great work guys

The forum I'm taking about are that way so women can feel more comfortable chatting about women's issues and away from casual browsing thats all.

I disagree with that given the number of posters who happen to be female who are signing up to talk about the issues they see on the site in there from casual browsing or incoming from google.

If a casual browser/poster surfs on in to any of the forums and posts in a manner which falls foul of the rules of the forum then they have to face the consequences of their post.

I know a lot of people who read some of the thread in tLL and find them interesting and informative who don't post there and I would hate to see that stop.

Nothing sexest about it at all.

I don't think that 'safe spaces' are sexist.
    They are often needed for people to open up but I don't think that the LL is the type of place which needs to be restricted like soccer.

Indeed there are those who view the restrictions on soccer to be punitive and they were put in place after a majority of hassle from arseholes but I don't think the ratio of poster to arseholes or drive by trolls is as such a rate in the ladies lounge that the posters and mods would want such a system in place, if the mods do wish for it I am sure they will request it.

So why punish posters new to the site or who signs up to the site to post in the ladies lounge in a constructive manner cos a few people are being dicks?

As regards humour, well when you get one we'll chat :)

not replying to that here :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

lafortezza wrote: »
    I think the OP posted in the 'Know your Loungers' thread a few times and included details of his sexual/dating history/preferences, which was a bit creepy given the overall tone of that thread. I remember a mod editing his posts and posting a warning on at least one occasion.
    So this probably applies in the mods view.

nope, how could there be 'details' when there was no sexual history?
    I said something about not having had any hanky panky, if thas creepy I give up

theres usually a story behind a photo, I like to add a little humor sometimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

nope, how could there be 'details' when there was no sexual history?
    I said something about not having had any hanky panky, if thas creepy I give up

theres usually a story behind a photo, I like to add a little humor sometimes.

no way man, you were totally out of line. the ladies lounge pictures thread is f**kin well serious. Dwight Schrute serious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

So you got banned cos you didn't abide by the rules and think that all male posters should there for be banned cos your not allowed post there for a month?

Yeah right that will happen.

Whatever rules you quote afterwards, I still think this is out of line. (I also think the wording of what you quoted should be changed too.)

The way that came across treads that very fine line of abuse and does nothing to debate a reasonable query by the user.

-Funk

• Advertisement

Well then report it and let the admins look at it.
    It was about the site rules and the having 3 words which reference penis in the same line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wil_Wheaton#Wheaton.27s_Law
    Wheaton's Law

During his keynote speech at the 2007 PAX (Penny Arcade Expo), Wil Wheaton made a note about sportsmanship when playing games online. It has since become known as Wheaton's Law, which states: "Don't Be a Dick." This applies to life in general, not just online gaming

The site FAQ was written by Dav one of the community admins, so speak to him about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Well then report it and let the admins look at it.

Will do.

The site FAQ was written by Dav one of the community admins, so speak to him about it.

Am in the middle of the PM. Dav didn't write your post though. Anyway, apologies OP. I don't want to drag your thread OT.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Maybe the ops ban could be cut down to a few days instead?

Nerin wrote: »
    Maybe the ops ban could be cut down to a few days instead?

Maybe if he appealed in it the helpdesk it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Maybe if he appealed in it the helpdesk it might be.

/shrug, an admin has posted in this thread already, i agree though, since its talking about a specific ban it should be in helpdesk, but isn't my call. Just a suggestion that if the op talks to the mods they might reduce it from a month to something a little shorter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Although I read it and post in it sometimes, it wouldn't bother me at all if it was locked down to women-only.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Nerin wrote: »
    /shrug, an admin has posted in this thread already, i agree though, since its talking about a specific ban it should be in helpdesk, but isn't my call. Just a suggestion that if the op talks to the mods they might reduce it from a month to something a little shorter.
    This thread isn't about a ban. Its about whether or not the Ladies Lounge should be restricted for use to women only because there is a conflict of interests in what most men will post and what the women of the Ladies Lounge deem acceptable.

I think it is about the ban and the op is blowing smoke.

Nerin there has not been a post by any of the current admins in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Out of curiosity, will each poster have to go through a physical examination before their post is accepted, to prove they're female? Or will you just need a femanine sounding username?

• Advertisement

It's pretty much unworkable unless a vouching system was in place and even then that has it's own problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement