Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance problems

Options
  • 08-10-2009 5:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Back in May i opened up a car insurance policy with Quinn Direct, they took 2 months payments up front and after a month i canceled the policy, just as i canceled the policy they took another direct debit which means i paid for 3 months insurance when i was only insured for 1. Now they're claiming i owe them another €268 and are threatening to bring me to court for it

Should i let it go to court or would i be better off just paying the money and forgetting about it?

Also it took them 2 months to stop asking me to return my insurance disk even though i had sent it by registered post at the end of May, i would not recommend anyone to open a new policy with them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Back in May i opened up a car insurance policy with Quinn Direct, they took 2 months payments up front and after a month i canceled the policy, just as i canceled the policy they took another direct debit which means i paid for 3 months insurance when i was only insured for 1. Now they're claiming i owe them another €268 and are threatening to bring me to court for it

Should i let it go to court or would i be better off just paying the money and forgetting about it?

Also it took them 2 months to stop asking me to return my insurance disk even though i had sent it by registered post at the end of May, i would not recommend anyone to open a new policy with them

You misunderstand the "monthly payments" option with card insurance, you purchased car insurance for the entire year, and the entire sum was due at the start of the year, they then gave you a loan to cover the amount of the insurance, and this is what you are paying monthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 irish_stickman

i understand that i will not be able to get a full refund, but according to their own terms and conditions i'm due some money back for the third month that they took and i definitely should not owe them anything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

i understand that i will not be able to get a full refund, but according to their own terms and conditions i'm due some money back for the third month that they took and i definitely should not owe them anything
    Sorry to say but I think you got it wrong; here's from their own website:
    Our easy monthly payment plan allows you to spread the cost of your car insurance. Get on the road with QUINN-direct.

When you get your online quote, you will have the option to pay your car insurance premium in one lump sum or, if you prefer, the cost of your motor insurance can be spread out over the year by paying a 20% deposit and 10 monthly instalments by direct debit. The service charge for using the monthly payment plan is 6.67% (equivalent APR 19.66%).
    See the bolded part, you signed up for 12 months with a split of the payments over 10 months with 20% deposit. You will not be able to claim anything back and you do owe them the full amount even though you cancelled after a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I think you are wrong Nody.

When you cancel a policy, wheather you are paying by installments or all up front, you are entitled to a refund of the amount of the policy that you did not use up.

If he had paid up front, then, upon cancelling his policy, he would be entitled to a refund (Of the amount of the year not used minus any admin fees or BS like that they throw in)

OP

You are probably entitled to a refund and you most definately do not owe them any money. I dealth with Quinn for a few years and words could not possibly describe the level of customer service I received from them. You best option is to ring the Insurance Omnbudsman. http://www.financialombudsman.ie/

I had been screwing around over and back with Quinn for a month or so. I had to park up the car for the last 2 weeks of that month as they cancelled my policy. I the got the Insurance Ombudsman involved and it was sorted out the same day. Magically things which weren't possible became possible and Managers who were not available, became available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Nody is wrong, I had a policy with Quinn a few years ago and cancelled mid-way through the year and they cancelled the direct debit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

BnA wrote: »
    you are entitled to a refund of the amount of the policy that you did not use up.
    You are absolutely not entitled to that. They may offer it, but they certainly don't legally have to give it.

Axa, for example, do offer it, but only if you're at least 2 years with them. In year one, you only get part of what's "due" to you back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Read this, Page 16
    http://www.quinn-direct.com/ireland/documents/motor_policy_roi.pdf

Howe much was the policy for? You're only due a percentage of the policy amount back, and it probably excludes the interest that would accrue due to paying monthly. It's quite possible that you do owe them money, and if you do, then you have no choice but to pay for it. This is the contract you agreed to, like it or not.

I presume you returned the insurance cert and disc? This is a requirement of canceling.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

f* *K them it will be obovious in court wha t you intended , tell them you spoke to someone who expalined that it was monthly car insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 irish_stickman

jor el wrote: »
    I presume you returned the insurance cert and disc? This is a requirement of canceling.
    i sent the disk by registered post but still got 4 strongly worded letters from them telling me to return it, they stopped after i got the details of who signed for it from an-post

my solicitor said i should pay the money then try reclaim it back with help from the ombudsman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

rilly99 wrote: »
    f* *K them it will be obovious in court wha t you intended , tell them you spoke to someone who expalined that it was monthly car insurance

Yeah, 'cause that will work :rolleyes:
    my solicitor said i should pay the money then try reclaim it back with help from the ombudsman

Probably the best route. Though you should figure out for yourself exactly how much you should have paid, and make sure you only pay the right amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

rilly99 wrote: »

He agreed to pay monthly for a policy that was issued for a year. Generally, insurance is not issued on a month-by-month basis.

From what I understand, you were insured for 1 month, but had paid for 3 months. Therefore you are entitled to 2months back, unless there was some cancellation period that you might have to pay for. As you were paying over 12 months (or so), your installments would have included interest on the loan, which Quinn won't refund to you.

Unless there's some hidden T&C, I don't see right now how you owe them more money. The only thing I can think of is that they don't consider the policy cancelled until they receive the disk. it's therefore possible that they consider you to be in arrears.

More explanation is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if you cancelled in the first month and they did not get the disc and policy back until the second month them you should be entitled to 70% refund off the total premium but what is probably happening is the office sending you this bill for €268 was never informed that the disc was returned and now instead of sorting this out themselves they are trying to make you pay to balance the books!

foggy_lad wrote: »
    if you cancelled in the first month and they did not get the disc and policy back until the second month them you should be entitled to 70% refund off the total premium but what is probably happening is the office sending you this bill for €268 was never informed that the disc was returned and now instead of sorting this out themselves they are trying to make you pay to balance the books!

he would only be entitled to 70% refund if he had paid the premium in full. But he was paying in monthly installments. That refund table bears no relevence in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

While I understand that it is very seldom if ever that you will be refunded pro rata on a motor insurance policy when cancelling it part way through the year I fail to see how the OP owes them money in the present situation It is more likely that Quinn Direct are just chancing their arm, the dodgy dealers that they are. They put my insurance up for two years in a row even though no claims were made or no change in particulars. Granted it was only by ten to twenty quid each time but fact of the matter this was before insurance premiums were rising and as I was building up my no claims bonus it should have being going down. When I got my renewal quote the third year to show it increasing another few quid I said to myself fu*k this for a game of soldiers, got quotes online, on phone and bricks and mortar brokers. I eventually managed to get it for over 100 euro less for a higher level of cover and step back protection. Rang Quinn Direct and asked them if they could beat this quote and answer was a point blank no before I even mentioned any figure so requeseted my full no claims entitlement of them (Before I was driving under my own name I was named under my fathers name with Quinn Direct also and I was being accredited for this driving experience with new company). They said it would have to be the original policy holder that would need to request this...what a load of c*ck. What if god forbid my father was since deceased? Howsever, got my father on the phone and they said they would send it on. Two weeks later and a few days before renewal date no sign. Ended up going up to Dublin branch to get it. They then had the gaul on them to ring me a couple of days before my insurance was due asking was I renewing with them. When I said no they asked was I taking out insurance elsewhere to which I replied yes. And then they asked me was there anything they could do for me. Bloody charming I thought.

OP I know my post is of no direct relvance to your present situation but its just to highlight how Quinn Direct are lousy money grabbing swines. Surely already hard pressed motorists should not be making up the shortfall for Sean Quinns investment losses in Anglo Irish bank

Zombie thread - Closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement