Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Jet and Bolt 1.5 Web Browser

• 08-10-2009 7:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

The Bolt Browser is out of Beta and is a real treat on my e71.

I'm wondering if any of you Jet owners have tried it yet? Does the copy/paste function work for you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

[URL="Http://www.boltbrowser.com"]Http://www.boltbrowser.com[/URL]
    Jaysus this is VERY quick for a "full screen" browser - thanks Strecker.
    No Jet here but.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

long_b wrote: »
    [URL="Http://www.boltbrowser.com"]Http://www.boltbrowser.com[/URL]
    Jaysus this is VERY quick for a "full screen" browser - thanks Strecker.
    No Jet here but.

Yep, it's pretty snappy; youtube works even w/out 3g/wifi...

And: I got copy/paste working on Samsung Pixon (which normally doesn't 'do' any copy/paste at all), so I assume it's okay on Jet as well...?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭IH77

Might give this a go

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353902,00.asp#
    Bitstream has unveiled Bolt 1.5, the latest version of the company's robust mobile browser. The company claims the latest version is the fastest yet, with a 15 percent increase in speed.

Bolt 1.5 also now streams videos of any length. It includes a new search bar, a download manager, and improved navigation and text rendering--important since Bolt tends to replace page fonts with its own single-size scheme.

The new version also caches data, which should help with rendering speeds when viewing previously-visited pages. As before, Bolt streams video from sites like YouTube, which still eludes the otherwise excellent Opera Mini 5 (Beta).

Get the new Bolt 1.5 browser by heading to www.boltbrowser.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I know the title is regarding the Jet, however, has anyone compared the speed of Bolt 1.5 to Opera mini yet on their handset? I was thinking of installing it on my X1i, but wanted to find out any feedback from users first.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I know the title is regarding the Jet, however, has anyone compared the speed of Bolt 1.5 to Opera mini yet on their handset? I was thinking of installing it on my X1i, but wanted to find out any feedback from users first.

In a nutshell? It's a bit slower than om, faster than skyfire... That s on my e71... i'd consider it an addition rather than a replacement for opera mini. It has features that om lacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

strecker wrote: »
    In a nutshell? It's a bit slower than om, faster than skyfire... That s on my e71... i'd consider it an addition rather than a replacement for opera mini. It has features that om lacks.

Thanks for that strecker. I might give it a go and see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

As usual, i seem to be the one who's finding the 'fantastic new application' painfully slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I downloaded it to my Jet and it certainly seems speedy.

However, I could not get it to play any Youtube content.

Update: got it to sort of play one vid - the top prt of the vid was chopped off and the sound quality was the same appalling underwater sounding garbled mess you get with the Jet's own Dolphin browser.

The Bolt video setup wizard seems to not be working. I am guessing it relies on supplying data from Bolt's own servers and the demand is too high at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I just tried this browser out and to be honest, it's nothing special. It just reminds me of the Skyfire browser which is crap. Both browsers are no where near as good as Opera Mini 5 Beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

It has features that om lacks.
    Such as??

• Advertisement

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Such as??

Plays youtube etc inside browser...
    Copy and paste even for phones that have zero copy/paste - like Pixon (I know, om 5 beta has it...but it's still beta)...

Split-screen layout option. Half the screen gives you page overview, other half displays zoomed in section of your choice. On some pages taht's quite useful - provided your ph's screen is large enough...

's all I can think of before coffee.
    Again: I'm typing this on o.m.! Personally, the speed and data compression of om make it my choice...no 3g in sight where I live.

Bolt is an 'addition', as I said earlier. Occasionally, its extras can be useful, and it beats Nokia's 'webkit' flavour, it beats skyfire in every single aspect, it beats Teashark in all but data-savings and it beats the aged opera-mobile 8.65 that opera SELLS to s60 3rd owners...what'd I miss? UCWeb? JB5? They're ok, but are mostly popular for their hackability in Asian markets - ie for free-mobile-web trickery.

Disadvantage of Bolt: cache is insufficient. 2 heavy pages loaded and going 'back' requires reload of page. For modern phones they could increase cache size...

Plays youtube etc inside browser...

On a JET?

Not reliably and not worth the bother.

This is one of the huge letdowns with the JET. I briefly had a SE C905 and Youtube worked great and the audio quality was good.

With the jet, the audio quality always sucks with web content.

I have found a Java app that lets you download Youtube vids and then play them on the phone. Then the audio quality is excellent.

I have also found a streaming web radio App that delivers good audio, except for buffering glitches.

Samsung need to fix this web based audio desperately IMO as it is very poor.

cnocbui wrote: »
    On a JET?

Not reliably and not worth the bother.

This is one of the huge letdowns with the JET. I briefly had a SE C905 and Youtube worked great and the audio quality was good.

With the jet, the audio quality always sucks with web content.

I have found a Java app that lets you download Youtube vids and then play them on the phone. Then the audio quality is excellent.

I have also found a streaming web radio App that delivers good audio, except for buffering glitches.

Samsung need to fix this web based audio desperately IMO as it is very poor.

Thanks for that! My main concern however is the bolt's copy/paste function. Does it work on the jet? It does work on the Pixon...
    95% of the time I'm w/out 3g or wifi (Mayo)... The audio quality of streaming video is not important to me.

Thanks for that! My main concern however is the bolt's copy/paste function. Does it work on the jet?

Yes, it works on the Jet.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes, it works on the Jet.

Oh, good to know.

Advertisement