Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A differing approach for Manor

• 08-10-2009 8:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭

Taken from : F1 Live.com
    Manor is one of the new teams scheduled to join the series next year and according to reports from Autosprint, the Sheffield-based team are taking a differing approach to the construction of its new F1 challenger.

Lead designer Nick Wirth and the team are relying purely on Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), rather than the more traditional use of wind tunnels. The first test chassis scheduled to be completed in the next four to five weeks ahead of testing in February.
    ........................... Also in the story
    Manor has been linked with Richard Branson’s Virgin group and has admitted interest in signing current A1GP champion Adam Carroll.
    ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Ficus wrote: »
    This years Mclaren was mostly done by cfd and look how that turned out,
    Very risky approach i feel.

True
    I forgot about that.
    Unless it was all new territory to McLaren and Manor have people well used to this system?
    Always a hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭av8rirl

CFD is a great tool but really should only be used in cross-reference with data from the wind tunnel. McLaren this year is a perfect example of that!

Also with CFD, the algorithms and equations that you use need to be exactly spot on... existing F1 teams guard these with their lives... so I'd be very sceptical about anyone relying on CFD alone... especially a new team with the new Cossie motor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I assume McLaren don't normally design their cars using that technique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

av8rirl wrote: »
    especially a new team with the new Cossie motor!

I dont understand about the CFD so I wont go into it ..

I do understand what you are saying regarding the Cossie engine LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Could've sworn the McLaren's problem this year was weight distribution, not aero.

• Advertisement

No, it was definitely aero. I know a lad who works for them.
    Mclaren like most other teams use a combination, but they went for more cfd and paid a heavy price for it, with huge down force issues like high speed stalls.
    Kers really saved them from a regular last and second last place slot at the start of the year.
    I really hope manor gets its right but if it were my team, i wouldn`t be risking it.

Fair enough, looks like they were lying about their problems so. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I'm nearly certain Whitmarsh said the went down a cul de sac aero wise and they had to go backwards to go forwards. Team principle speak I know. Translation, we ****ed up the aero and had to redesign it. :)

On the CFD, wind tunnels are expensive if the teams thought they could get away with just CFD then they would do it. So far most seem to think the wind tunnel is a worthwhile expense so i would be slightly worried for manor.

Almost sure one of the McLaren lads said on BBC that weight distribution was the problem and around the time of the British GP when they removed KERS to get to the root of where the weight distribution problem was.
    Meh. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Ficcus, does your mate know if McLaren are interested in hiring an IT guy with a huge interest in F1???? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

An f1 team lying?, that doesn`t sound right.:pac::pac::pac:

especially if were talking about McLaren here :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Adam Caroll seems to be in a very good position coming into next season, according to f1-live
    At the top of Manor/Virgin's driver shortlist is the Irish reigning A1GP champion Adam Carroll, who according to Auto Motor und Sport also has sponsorship money in tow. But the 26-year-old is reportedly hesitating, amid uncertainty about which of F1's new teams will actually make it to the Bahrain season opener next March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Those McLaren videos expose something that Brawn have been unable to do. either from an organisational or engineering standpoint, can't tell which - deliver upgrades to the car package. On the one hand, they have an advantage that they can design a car completely around the engine properly, which will improve matters, but then they have to deliver better. Can they do it next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Those McLaren videos expose something that Brawn have been unable to do. either from an organisational or engineering standpoint, can't tell which - deliver upgrades to the car package

Brawn when it was BAR and Honda were unable to develop a car throughout the season so it shouldn't be surprising that a team such as McLaren have been able to develop a car more efficiently throughout this year

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

According to Autosport.com , Lucas Di Grassi has said he is close to securing a seat with Manor Grand Prix. He is the current Renault F1 3rd driver and has raced for Manor before in the F3 Euroseries in 2005 . He also won the prestigious Macau Grand Prix for them in 2005 beating Robert Kubica.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79672

Advertisement