Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC to LCD connection.

• 08-10-2009 8:10am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    recently got a Philips 32" lcd for the kids playroom, and the lcd is just beside my pc :D.

My GC has two dvi outputs and the tv has hdmi inputs and these - Audio constant level out, PC Audio in, PC-In VGA, S/PDIF out (coaxial), Common Interface.
    You can see the exact connections on page 11 of this doc.

Question, with the lcd connected thru dvi to hdmi -whats the best way to push audio to the lcd ?? (will be playing HD)
    What is "pc audio in" - 3.5mm connection ?
    Would I be best putting in a sound card into the pc for this task ?
    Normal sound for the pc is from 2.1 speakers. Could I use a splitter and a 3.5mm to 3.5mm lead to the lcd. Options !!!

Update - just found this page on the Philips website - have a look at the bottom - is that audio lead a 3.5mm lead ??

thanks

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yup, it certainly is.

Your other option would be to upgrade the pc with a graphics card with a hdmi out port, then you can transfer sound and video all on one cable. Thats if the graphics cars supports it, which 90% of all ewer grphics cards with hdmi support.

Or you could just use Dvi-hdmi adapter then use a 3.5mm audio jack from the back of your pc to the lcdtv.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thanks anti,

might just go with the 2nd option - dvi-hdmi & an audio cable as the GC is only a month old.

thx for the reply,

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The manual you linked to says tv has VGA input?

Thats how I connect my laptop to the tv , vga cable and 3.5mm audio cable.
    if your pc has no vga out you can get a dvi - vga adaptor for buttons.

Thx Calex71,

true indeed but I have a lot of HD content on my pc which I would like to watch on this tv - so need the digital connection -720 but thats ok :D

thx

k

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I have a radeon hd 4890, I does not have a hdmi out but it does send sound out of the dvi port, all you need is a simple dvi-hdmi dongle. this is not the case with all/most graphics cards but you should check before you invest in audio cabling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

CrinkElite wrote: »
    I have a radeon hd 4890, I does not have a hdmi out but it does send sound out of the dvi port, all you need is a simple dvi-hdmi dongle. this is not the case with all/most graphics cards but you should check before you invest in audio cabling.

It's not that simple though, as ATI have a special DVI => HDMI adaptor, included with applicable graphics cards, that enables sound to be sent over DVI, whereas most other adaptors only allow video.

So, just checked the gc box and it does support "built in hdmi sound" and is enabled with an intelligent dvi-hdmi adapter.

so - where do I get one of these super adapters ?

that would make it a lot easier - dvi- adapter -hdmi - lcd.

thanks

k

karltimber wrote: »
    So, just checked the gc box and it does support "built in hdmi sound" and is enabled with an intelligent dvi-hdmi adapter.

so - where do I get one of these super adapters ?

that would make it a lot easier - dvi- adapter -hdmi - lcd.

thanks

k

Some of the 3xxx and 4xxx series ATI cards with a DVI output have the adaptor in the box. Otherwise you can buy it for just under €8 excl. P&P from here or here.

Thanks Rsaeire,

how do I/you know that is this the "intelligent" adapter ? -by this "Active for 55nm ASIC (HD 3K & HD 4K series)"

I take it there is a difference b/t this and ones on ebay ?

really appreciate the help, otherwise it would have been dvi and a 3.5mm cable.

Ok - found one here -same as :D (scratch that - blanch or moldova !!!)

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Thx Calex71,

true indeed but I have a lot of HD content on my pc which I would like to watch on this tv - so need the digital connection -720 but thats ok :D

thx

k

VGA will allow 720 and even 1080i resolutions afaik, at the end of the day its just a resolution for the display :)
    there is little of no difference to my eyes when im using my xbox even between vga and hdmi.

The only real difference to me is that the black levels are better over hdmi vs vga but not a big enough of a difference to make me buy a cable and connect that way :D

Why not try it and see if you are happy with it as im sure you either have a vga cable or could easialy borrow one to test it?

• Advertisement

Will be playing with it this weekend anyhows - so will test it out.

For the sake of €8 odd for the adpater - may go with this option - it's a recession but I'm worth it :D:D

thx folks, appreciate it.

k

Thanks Rsaeire,

how do I/you know that is this the "intelligent" adapter ? -by this "Active for 55nm ASIC (HD 3K & HD 4K series)"

I take it there is a difference b/t this and ones on ebay ?

I/you can tell by what you quoted above and by the model number, AD00028-R0, as the same adaptor can be found here with a more detailed description of its capabilities.

In addition, while the 3xxx and 4xxx series Sapphire and ATI branded adaptors differ in colour, i.e. ATI = grey, Sapphire = black, there is no difference in their function. With that said, there is also a black ATI branded adaptor, however, this is specifically for the 2xxx series cards and is not compatible with the 3xxx or 4xxx series; you can ignore the image on the site in the link above too, as it seems they're just showing an image of the black ATI branded adaptor by mistake.
    calex71 wrote: »
    VGA will allow 720 and even 1080i resolutions afaik, at the end of the day its just a resolution for the display :)
    there is little of no difference to my eyes when im using my xbox even between vga and hdmi.

While VGA is an analogue connection, it is capable of supporting resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 @ 85 Hz. The limiting factor in reaching such resolutions in practice is generally the graphics card or TV, as most TVs only support resolutions up to 1920 x 1080 (1080p) over VGA.

HI,

got the adapter and hdmi lead and have a movie playing on the lcd.

But the tv is only an extension to the desktop - the cursor moves from the pc screen over to the lcd.
    and there is no sound from the lcd.

Can I setup the lcd as a seperate screen ? (not a major prob if I can't)

Sound thru the dvi-hdmi lead - is there a setting somewhere to enable this ?
    Searched thru the ATI software but no luck. I have the movie sound coming thru the pc speakers but would prefer to use the lcd speakers (hence the adapter)

thx

k

HI,

got the adapter and hdmi lead and have a movie playing on the lcd.

But the tv is only an extension to the desktop - the cursor moves from the pc screen over to the lcd.
    and there is no sound from the lcd.

Can I setup the lcd as a seperate screen ? (not a major prob if I can't)

It sounds like you have your TV set up as an extension to your laptop's desktop. If you carry out the below, your issue should be resolved.

Right click on the desktop => Properties => Settings tab => select the 2 displayed in the window, indicating your TV, => Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor (Untick) => OK.
    Sound thru the dvi-hdmi lead - is there a setting somewhere to enable this ?
    Searched thru the ATI software but no luck. I have the movie sound coming thru the pc speakers but would prefer to use the lcd speakers (hence the adapter)

You can find a guide, with images, on how to do that here.

yer a feckin star RS :D

will try that shortly and report :)

thx again,
    k

Advertisement