Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C220 Diesel Merc from UK - Electric Problems??

• 08-10-2009 8:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

my siblings and I are looking to import a diesel, manual c220 from UK for my parents as a surprise as my dad always wanted one...
    I have heard alot about the electric problems from the 03 and 04 models and am trying to avoid those years...
    It is therefore looking like an 05 or 06 model, but my question is was this electric issue sorted by 05?

With the sterling as low as it currently is and the quality of mercs across the water with FSH, I'd hope to get one across soon.

Is there anything to look out for on the c220 models?
    Do Mercs have a timing belt or chain?
    If belt then i'd probably get it changed once its on Irish soil.

Any info appreciated, not very knowledgable when it comes to mercs.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would buy one of the later cars of the last model, that way, most probs would be sorted and the price should be very reasonable. I dont know anything about them tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

They do have a chain, so dont have to get it changed. I'm not sure about the electrical problems - best to go for the last of that model to ensure that msot problems have been ironed out.

Remember that any second hand car wont be perfect, and chances are one or two small things may go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭sparktest

Ta for the advice...
    cant afford much more than 05 model so 05 it is....

Can someone tell me the difference between the c220 cdi Avantgard, cdi Elegance and cdi 4door sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

sparktest wrote: »
    Ta for the advice...
    cant afford much more than 05 model so 05 it is....

Can someone tell me the difference between the c220 cdi Avantgard, cdi Elegance and cdi 4door sport?

Do they have those spec's in the UK?

Elegance would be more aimed at comfort, Avantgarde would be a bit sportier (bigger wheels, stiffer suspension). Interior trim will be different and possibly the seats. Sport was a pack which went on to Classic, Elegance or Avantgarde models. Body kit, big wheels and twin chrome exhausts - possibly TEX leather as standard.

Majority of the Merc's you'll see will have extra's added - it's very unusual to find something in standard trim so it really depends on what your Dad really wants. If he values comfort over performance, a C220cdi Auto Elegance with TEX or full leather would be the best. Manual's will be hell to try and sell on in the future, but I think they are cheaper to VRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A manual Merc without leather interior would be very hard to sell on.

To be honest I never warmed to the 2001 - 2007 C Class, always seen it as the poor relation in the big three junior exec class, not a great effort by MB - an A4 or 3 Series would be better built and have a better range of engines imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement