Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Footballs coming home, its coming home...

• 08-10-2009 9:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Well its not, but I am. :D

After 2 years in Ze Vaterland I'm moving back to Dublin. Hopefully before Christmas.

I'm not sure if its a good idea to bring the ZZR1400 with me. Would it be overkill for the Irish roads and would it be a real scumbag / thief magnet ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

For me, it is a no-brainer.

Bring her with you. (and I mean your bike)

You might not be able to ride like you do on the Autobann, but you will miss her if you don't bring her. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

P.C. wrote: »
    For me, it is a no-brainer.

Bring her with you. (and I mean your bike)

Well its the only lady I'm bringing home. I was talking to the lads on IBF and they said I should drive her back instead of shipping.

One thing I am really worried about is it being stolen. It's quite some bike and I'd be afraid it'd be a scumbag magnet. What are bike thefts like there now ? A couple of years back it was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Bikes get stolen - its unfortunate, but it happens.

It does depend a lot on where you live.

And a good chain or two are essential.

Again, depending on where you live, a ground anchor is your friend.

I live in an apartment block -
    in a posh area
    - my bike is parked right outside my bedroom window, with a big chain on the rear wheel and a disc lock on the front wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

They might'nt be so inclined to steal it...being left hand drive...........:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Would you get a good price for it in Germany? Bikes here are pretty cheap right now so you could sell it and pick up two lovely bikes here for the same money :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

a bike likes thats for exactly that kind of trip - think you'd be mad to ship it

lot of missing info on your other q's, so cant really comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dont ship it. Ride the thing home man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ride it home, get it reg'd here without VRT and sell it in a year if you still don't want it. Should make some money on it. It's probably cheaper to ship you belongings back then the bike with all the hazardous fluids in it.

Any bike can be stolen all you can do is try and make it as hard as possible. Decent alarm (with pager), ground anchor and plenty of chains will keep it as safe as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

You should sell it and buy a Bros.

Naturally I'm kidding but if you have somewhere secure to keep it then there is no reason not to bring it. If the value of secondhand bikes is high in Germany you could consider selling it and buying something else here - there is very good value to be had right now. Have a look on donedeal but you will struggle to find many zzr1400's sitting around.

I'd ride it back and ship everything else - most people only dream of a run across Europe like that.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,451 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you have secure parking at home and at work, then no worries (but still lock it and alarm it and immobilize it.)

If you don't, then even a sick Honda 50 would be an attractive target for some scumbag. The best thing you can do is make it look like you don't have a bike at all, park it around back. I never leave my bike around the front of my house, don't go out of my way to let anyone around know I'm a biker.

Most faired bikes 600cc or over will do 150MPH+ so getting more paranoid about a ZZR1400 compared to other large bikes isn't justified really. A superfour makes a good getaway vehicle in Dublin traffic so anything larger is overkill really :eek:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement