Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it cruel keeping birds in cages.

Options
  • 08-10-2009 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

When I see birds in cages like Parrots and other large birds but also small birds , i cant help feel that this should be banned. Birds should be out in the wild and free instead of crunched up in some crappy cage.???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

I agree, should be banned.. so unnatural for a bird not to be able to spread it's wings.
    Sadly it happens systematically on a huge scale in battery farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

So many pet birds are kept in ridiculously sized cages and not let out and about. There should at least be a ban on round cages and smaller cages.
    Aviary life is much better, in general pet birds are very happy in an aviary set up or in a large cage with free flight time. It's so unhealthy for a bird to be kept in a cramped cage, sore feet and can also have weight issues, weak wing muscles and prolapses.

Saying that some pet birds will freak out at first if popped into a large space, they should be introduced slowly and gradually like putting them into a cage one size up from the one they're in until they are used to it then eventually to the largest cage or aviary.

But yes it is ridiculous that many birds are kept in cages so small they can barley stretch, it's like putting a dog or cat into a crate all their lives.

Our boyo is out every day and his cage is big enough for him although he's very lazy even when he's out he just plays about a bit on top of his cage. He usually puts himself back to bed as well.

To many pet birds a cage is their safe haven where they feel secure, after al they don't have a tree to roost in they must be kept on a height to feel secure.
    I know if our fella didn't like his cage he'd go mad being put back in or not go back in by himself but he's happy in it.

Keeping birds locked up 24/7 is just wrong though.

Advertisement