Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

installing new stereo in my 2004 honda civic

• 08-10-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭

hi all
    just bought a new car stereo and will be removing the standard panasonic stereo in my 2004 civic. is this a handy enough thing to do myself. will i need any special keys or adapters to remove the existing stereo.

been reading all sorts about special keys to release stereos and other vids of lads removing gear stick surrounds and all that messing.

once the radio is out is it a case of swapping cables and shoving the enw one in.

do i disconnect battery before doing anything ?

sorry for all the newbie questions. in current climate the last thing i need is the central locking failing and the airbags deploying due to my attempted handiwork :-)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I've blown fuses before when playing with audio kit. Best disconnect the battery me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ciaranoreilly

you dont need to take out your battery, if you do that it can often leave you having to enter a code in the cd player and will come up as safe mode till you do, just get a flat head screwdriver and normal screwdriver depending on the screws and work away. its piss easy. i just changed my one in the 2005 golf.i had to take out the centre of the dash to get it in, its easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That model has the stereo bolted in to the console. You need to remove the console from the dash by pulling it off. This is *very* difficult. You need to pry it off from all sides, being careful not to break it. (A new one is ~ €120!)

Once out, 4 bolts hold in the stereo, 2 either side. It's a standard fit, and the new one will fit in minus the cage.

You will need a Honda-to-ISO wiring adapter. A couple of quid on ebay, or €25 in Halfords last time I checked.

EDIT: you didn't say saloon or hatch. The above is for the saloon. Hatch is prob the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

mines the saloon civic. now its NOT the one with the gear stick up on the dash. Its the standard 2003 style.

Yeah, mines a saloon too.

BTW, the original stereo is Honda branded. If it's branded Panasonic it's not original.

The arrows mark where you have to pry.

CIMG0007-annotated.jpg

• Advertisement

jhmeg
    thanks for detiled response there. its a panasonic radio in mine.
    also i dont have that flap/door under the radio like you. mines just an open tray.

so if its a panasonic would it be the case that i dont need that honda-iso adapter.

would one not have been fitted to the current stereo.

its a cheap aldi stereo i bought.

Is the console very tight or will it prise out handy enough.

That's not mine, that's an American model. Mine is the same as your's, I just don't have a pic to hand.

Re the Panasonic having an adapter: maybe. Or maybe the loom has been cut. You won't know till you open it up.

The console is very tight. You'll need several flathead screw drivers (wrap them in cloth if you want to prevent them marking things) and preferably a second person so that you can get four hands on it.

Of course if it has been taken out before it should be a bit easier to get it out again.

sound jhmeg. i'll give it a go so.

had a quick look this morn and luckily the panny stereo once face has been removed has two simple catches either side and it just slides out.
    so aside from connections it should be simple. no wires look cut and i'll sus out the installation over weekend. thanks.

Advertisement