Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotdog Carts in Dublin

Options
  • 08-10-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im looking to setup a hotdog cart in dublin city centre and just looking for some advice from anyone

I'm importing this (second hand)

willydogs-main1.jpg

Dublin City Council said that there are only two types of licences for casual trading in the city, Designated Area Trading licence & Event Trading licence the problem is the designated area trading has a huge waiting list and the events licence is well only for events and requires you to apply 28 days prior to the event,

What I would idealy like to do would be to have the cart on the streets nearly all day 7 days per week from the morning rush of people going to work to people leaving the clubs and bars at night is this possible?

I want to do everything legally with permits/licences so i'm in no risk of having the cart confiscated or anything but with only those two licence types available its just to crippling is there anything anyone can suggest?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Apologies for the simplicity of this.. but could you apply for an event licence each day? (not sure on the costs, practicality, legality etc of this though)

They may have rules on what constitutes an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

They may have rules on what constitutes an event.

That was my first thought this morning I've already emailed a guy in DCC to check this out,

As to applying every day for an events licence that is probably the only way I see that I can work unless someone else knows something, costly thought

Sales from Vehicles (Mobile Catering Units)

Trikes (fee per event per day ) € 70

Burger Bars (fee per event per day) €110

Trailers & Vans fee per event per day €220

Ice-Cream Vans/Candyfloss & popcorn € 80

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You are aware of the type of people that operate the current stands in the city centre outside the clubs etc?

I'm being very serious when I say you better be well able to handle yourself, your not exactly going into a regulated market there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Me and a friend where going to do this with noodles and with research we found that a lot of people with these are Dublin criminals and they threaten you, protection money etc or smash you up. I dont know if its true but thats the vibe i got.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Didn't one of these guys write a book about his experiences a couple of years ago? Sounded horrific. Some of those fellahs are as bad as ice-cream men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Hermon

Hi, I am doing a project work on the same idea. Can you tell me what your results were on the licensing? I would really appreciate it. Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hermon

Hi, I am doing a project work on the same idea. Can you tell me what your results were on the licensing? I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gersal

any further new on the hot dog licence intrested

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

If ice cream vans dont need a license, why should a hot dog van need one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

leo2a6 wrote: »
    If ice cream vans dont need a license, why should a hot dog van need one ?

Maybe because hot food needs a different license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

DubTony wrote: »
    Didn't one of these guys write a book about his experiences a couple of years ago? Sounded horrific. Some of those fellahs are as bad as ice-cream men.
    Think it was called The General And Me ? Might be wrong though...

PS Old thread is old, and hotdogs contain pig penis and pig anus.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement