Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing Car Seats

• 08-10-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I'm bored at home and my car stinks. I want to wash the seats and carpets.
    It's a 99 Astra. Is there anything I need to know?
    Anything that can gon wrong etc????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Be very careful of the airbag/pretensioner wiring under the front seats, don't damage it and make sure the ignition is off while you're removing the front seats, just in case. I'd say disconnect the battery too but it might cause the radio to lose it's code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If your removing seats, ensure the battery is disconnected fist. As you will be disconnecting either of the following - airbag looms/belt tensioner looms/occupancy sensor looms. Failure to isolate the power, will incur a fault in the airbag system leaving on a warning light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

EnterNow wrote: »
    If your removing seats, ensure the battery is disconnected fist. As you will be disconnecting either of the following - airbag looms/belt tensioner looms/occupancy sensor looms. Failure to isolate the power, will incur a fault in the airbag system leaving on a warning light.

Its important to use your fist to disconnect the battery. Repeatedly punching the battery should disconnect it eventually. ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not only disconnect the battery but wait at least 10-15 mins to allow the airbags/pretensioners time to disarm. Working on a live system could potentially cause it to activate.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

Thanks for all the advice lads. Greatly appreciated. Seems like Hassle so I might leave it until another day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Its not that much hassle! Just disconnect the battery...go in and have a cuppa and a few bicuits and bob's your uncle, your ready to clean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Don't turn on the ignition with the seat disconnected or you'll get an air bag warning light and will need diagnostic software to disconnect it.

I replaced the standard seat in my Audi Allroad with a Recaro and had no problems once I waited the 15 minutes. The Recaro doesn't have a side airbag so I needed a special adapter for the airbag connection to trick the system into thinking an airbag was connected. Otherwise the airbag warning light would have come on and stayed on.

Advertisement