Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a Commerial Vehicle for towing, But I dont have my own company..

• 08-10-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭

the vehicle is a 3.0 Diesel Isuzu Trooper. (commercial vehicle IE only 2 seats and a massive boot)

Will I have to pay
    normal tax : €1293
    or
    commercial tax: €288

IE do you have to have a company to avail of goods vehicle tax?

Thanks
    G.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I believe as long as there is no rear seats and the car is classed as commercial you'll be paying the commercial tax, the rear windows may have to be blocked out as well.

I think thats it, someone else may be able to confirm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you don't use it commercially you have to tax it privately ...most insurance companies however insist on insuring it commercially nonetheless.

Double whammy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

You dont necessarily need your own company, what do you work at?

If you have a job that requires the use of a commercial (for example my dad is a fitter and needs to carry tools and he visits several sites) then you have a genuine need and can tax commercially. If you use it the odd time to tow then i think it would be unlikely that someone would have a problem with that.

But its difficult to get clear information on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kavoweb

commercial insurance will be absolutely spot on,im on my 5th jeep and all have been insured commercially. no problem at all. if im ever asked,i just say i keep horses and tow the occasional horse box. simples;)

Yes but the OP is asking about the tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

tin79 wrote: »
    Yes but the OP is asking about the tax

Yep

Insurance is also and issue
    is commercial insurance cheaper?

Perhaps I should just ring the tax office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

My cousin had a golf van, he only used it to drive to and from work, he might have had to carry tools in it the odd time and he taxed it as commercial without any problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What exactly will you be towing? I imagine the trooper is heavy enough itself, so bear in mind, you can't tow a combined weight of more than 3.5tn. I'm not able to use one transit to tow another for example as the combined weight is over 4tn.

cormie wrote: »
    What exactly will you be towing? I imagine the trooper is heavy enough itself, so bear in mind, you can't tow a combined weight of more than 3.5tn. I'm not able to use one transit to tow another for example as the combined weight is over 4tn.

An Evo Race Car :D

OP you will be able to tax it commercially. I do not know anyone taxing vans or commercial vehicles privately and most are used on farms or just for driving to and from work. As far as I know the fact its a commercial vehicle means it can be taxed privately.

cormie wrote: »

I have never heard anybody worrying about that rule before(well around where I live anyway). Its completely ignored as far as I know. Lots of people moving 3 or 5 tonne mini diggers etc with Troopers and Landcruisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Worst comes to worst, you could always register as self employed (even if you're an employee elsewhere).

Please note:

In order to avail of commercial tax, you must fill in (or you should, if your tax office is up to speed and procedure) a goods declaration form:

http://www.lcc.ie/NR/rdonlyres/5CBC07E5-100F-47E0-9E70-24E94674B4C1/0/goodsdec.pdf

in which you declare (witnessed by a garda) that the vehicle is used commercially only and not privately..

If you fill in the form wrongly or are using the vehicle privately you are committing tax fraud.

EDIT:
    @grahambo
    Even IF you had your own company and the vehicle was used commercially during the week, you still wouldn't be allowed to tow your racing car to Mondello of a Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

for a van/hatchback/estate can be taxed commercially (goods) provided it is insurance to carry goods. This must be clearly stated on the insurance cert.

peasant wrote: »
    Please note:

In order to avail of commercial tax, you must fill in (or you should, if your tax office is up to speed and procedure) a goods declaration form:

http://www.lcc.ie/NR/rdonlyres/5CBC07E5-100F-47E0-9E70-24E94674B4C1/0/goodsdec.pdf

in which you declare (witnessed by a garda) that the vehicle is used commercially only and not privately..

If you fill in the form wrongly or are using the vehicle privately you are committing tax fraud.

EDIT:
    @grahambo
    Even IF you had your own company and the vehicle was used commercially during the week, you still wouldn't be allowed to tow your racing car to Mondello of a Sunday

Friend of mine has a commercial vehicle
    just called him.

its a VW car van and he pays commercial tax and insurance on it.

never heard a peep from anyone

grahambo wrote: »
    Friend of mine has a commercial vehicle
    just called him.

its a VW car van and he pays commercial tax and insurance on it.

never heard a peep from anyone

I know ...thousands are driving around like this and commercial vehicles are used for all sorts of private and weekend acivities.

There seems to be an increase in checks on this though ....if the search function were working, you'd find several threads on here where they checked commercial vehicles in those multy-agency checkpoints that have sprung up lately.

A race meeting at Mondello could be a nice little earner for a garda who needs a few more notches on his/her belt to get promotion as any commercial vehicle out there would hardly be driven commercially.:D

Please note:

It just does not work like that in the real world though. If you have a van you go in and tax it commercially thats the way it has always been. As I said before on another thread every farmer in the country would be in trouble over this if they applied the rules as above.

Also if you tax a commercial vehicle privately it cannot be doe'd and you cannot nct a commercial vehicle so it cannot be tested.

I'm almost sure that the way the rules are applied in Ireland is that if its a commercial vehicle it is taxed commercially regardless of the owners occupation or how it is used.

It just does not work like that in the real world though

I'm not disputing that the law on this is unrealistic, unworkable and largely ignored ...it DOES state however that a commercial vehicle must not be used for private purposes.
    T'is all fine and dandy until they catch you out (and I would have the suspiscion that with the dire financial straits the governement is in at the moment there will be a bit more catching done in the future)

I'm not disputing that the law on this is unrealistic, unworkable and largely ignored ...it DOES state however that a commercial vehicle must not be used for private purposes.
    T'is all fine and dandy until they catch you out (and I would have the suspiscion that with the dire financial straits the governement is in at the moment there will be a bit more catching done in the future)

Aye

I get your point mate!
    like sending personal emails in work, your not supposed to do it... but everyone does, and to quite a large extent it is ignored. however you are actually breaking the rules and they can nab you on it if they really wanted.

What if you said you were off to the shop to buy a new hammer for work, would that be considered commercial use i wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

tin79 wrote: »
    If you only sold say 100 euro worth of mackerel each year would you have to declare it? Would you have to register as self employed?

i wonder.....

You need to have a Commercial fishing license, registered number, logbook and the buyer will have to have a fish buyers license from the SFPA in order to purchase fish from you.
    All easily checked and verifiable!
    Yes you are self-employed as a share fisherman.
    It would be very easy to land yourself in Hot water trying to chance this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'm almost sure that the way the rules are applied in Ireland is that if its a commercial vehicle it is taxed commercially regardless of the owners occupation or how it is used.

Through work I recently came in to contact with a customer who privately taxes all of their vehicles (except heavy commercials) as there is private usage of them. This would probably be one of the largest LCV fleets in Ireland (400+).

You can tax a commercial vehicle privately and it's done on the old engine size scheme, even for 08 & 09 vehicles (no CO2 published for commercials).

Only ever heard of one person being stopped (customer above, hence why all taxed privately) and ran a commercial myself for nearly a year just for commuting.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You need to have a Commercial fishing license, registered number, logbook and the buyer will have to have a fish buyers license from the SFPA in order to purchase fish from you.
    All easily checked and verifiable!
    Yes you are self-employed as a share fisherman.
    It would be very easy to land yourself in Hot water trying to chance this.

Ha ha i deleted that bit because i figured it was a stupid question :D

Advertisement