Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard water from the shower - options while renting?

Options
  • 08-10-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Are there filters that fit electric showers?

Because when I was visiting my parents in Canada my hair was WAY nicer just from soft water. Now I'm back to hard water and it's crap again :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

Short answer : No

A filter is just a mechanical screen, it will only remove solid objects greater in size than the screen size.

To remove hardness you need to use a device that incorporates a chemical process.

I grew up in an area with incredibly hard water. I now live in an area that has very soft water (my kettle is shining after sevaral years operation). I recently 'bit the bullet' and got the folks to fit a water softener upstream of the header tank (which gravity feeds the pumped electric shower). The difference is unbelievable. The shower screen is no longer opaque with limescale, the 'scum' is gone from the water and you can now get a proper 'lather' when you try wash yourself. We should have done it years earlier.

Then only problem with retrofitting a water softener is that you may end up with soft water at taps used for drinking water (and it will contain salt, which is not great for the auld blood pressure).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

well, onward to find another solution to my dull hair I guess.

(seriously, it was so shiny and full of body at my parents' - sickening)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭biblio

Dont know how effective it really is but something like this might be worth a try:
    http://www.watersticks.com/shower.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

biblio wrote: »
    Dont know how effective it really is but something like this might be worth a try:
    http://www.watersticks.com/shower.htm

I'd be very very wary of any site such as that which looks so cheap and tacky and which doesn't even provide a company address. It has all the look and feel of a bedroom business (not in a good way).

OP, I don't think there's anything you can do cheaply to soften your water, a proper water softening system is your only practical solution and that's unlikely to be something a landlord would pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You need to marry david becham and wash your hair in evian filtered water, Or you can get a whole house water filter done for around 1000 - 1500 Euro, Then you need to buy the salt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

You need to marry david becham and wash your hair in evian filtered water, Or you can get a whole house water filter done for around 1000 - 1500 Euro, Then you need to buy the salt.

I got my water softner installed for €800 - and its works perfect for 2 years now. no need to spend much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I got my water softner installed for €800 - and its works perfect for 2 years now. no need to spend much more.

Well done, I only know of one supplier and the softner costs that alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well done, I only know of one supplier and the softner costs that alone.

no worries, if anyone wants to know the name of the crowd I got mine from, just pm me.

Advertisement