Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is International Football a "step up"?

• 08-10-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

You always hear people say, "Dunno if he could handle the step up to International level" or "There's more required at this level" etc. etc.

But is it really a step up in quality and skill?

Had this argument ages ago with friends and always meant to post a thread about it to get the general consensus.
    The Stephen Ireland "situation" got me thinking about it again, especially after hearing some people say that he'll be missing out at playing football at the highest level, etc.

Opinions?

Is International Football a "step up"? 13 votes

Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Nay
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Bandit12 wrote: »
    No
    Good point well made Bandit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Depends where you are standing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Good point well made Bandit
    Thanks i try my best ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I think the step up is meant that there may be lot of competition for a particular position in the national team and the player may need to "up his game" in order to compete.

This of course would only matter should someone want to play with their respective national team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

For players that don't regularly play in (the group and later stages of) the Champions League, yes. Otherwise, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Depends on where you are playing your football IMO. For example if you are playing premiership football week in week out then I would say no as the premiership (as with most top leagues) is generally played at a greater pace to international football, the quality of football is also generally of a higher quality.

Perhaps it's a step up for the likes of Martin Rowlands who are applying their trade in the championship!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

I think the answer to this question is relative and not as straight forward as a Yes/No answer.

The fact that International football restricts you to playing for your country where as with club football you can play anywhere has led to club football being at its highest standard in Europe with South America coming in second. If you are from a country outside of Europe/South America but playing your club football there for one of the top teams then generally speaking International football is probably going to be a step down. If you don't then it will probably be a step up.

However if I was to give an answer I would say that money in modern day club football at the highest level probably puts it ahead in terms of overall quality than what International football can reach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

depends on the level your at already. i wouldnt say international football is a step up from champions league football, but it would be from championship football. in the same way that the WC would be a step up from the qualifiers, there wont be any san marinos in your group for example.

imo international football is a bit crap atm. apart from spain and the last euros i think the standard of football and the comps have been poor since france 98. theres more money in club football and the talent has been funnelled into a few clubs. international teams cant do that, you have to wait for a 'golden generation' to develop. so i agree with bandit. no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It depends.
    I'd say for the majority of professional footballers (maybe 99%+) its a massive step up.
    For the lucky few who play their trade with say the top 20 clubs in Europe then its a step down.

Its also a step up in terms of what it offers you in terms of legacy.

Ray Houghton will forever be able to walk to in a bar in Ireland and be showered with free pints, have people telling him where they were during Stuttgart88 and Giants Stadium94 and have parents introducing their kids to him, purely because of his exploits in the international jersey.
    3 or 4 Champions medals won't get you that.

• Advertisement

The Stephen Ireland "situation" got me thinking about it again, especially after hearing some people say that he'll be missing out at playing football at the highest level, etc.

He will be soon, no doubt. In the Champions League.

The Champions League is becoming, in commercial terms, a rival to international competition.

More players will follow Stephen Ireland's lead as time goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

No it isn't.

The highest level of football is the Champions League, where the best teams have the best players, who play together all the time.

It's that simple.

You can have your Brazils and your Spains, but if a team of players is only meeting on a sporadic basis, like international teams do, then there is no way they'd be at the same level as the top club sides like Barca, Chelsea etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

There is more pressure playing for your country. Most international fans have unrealistic expectations so a player who is used to relegation scraps or championship matches would be expected to suddenly be able to beat champions league standard players. Some players struggle with expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

stovelid wrote: »
    For players that don't regularly play in (the group and later stages of) the Champions League, yes. Otherwise, no.

I wouldn't just say the Champions League...what about the likes of Steven Hunt at Hull (first name that came into my head) who plays against the likes of Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs, Villa etc etc etc week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

More to do with "broadening your horizons" . If you are cocooned to just playing in one league and nothing else, you only adapt to suit that league, however should you move from country to country you will have to adapt to the new situation. for example the speed of the Premiership, the interpassing ball to feet of continental players.

A premiership player would have more time on the ball in an international match, prob only tackled in oppostion half, allowed on the ball in own half.
    So I would suggest that its about "broadening your horizon" rather than a step up !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Des wrote: »
    No it isn't.

The highest level of football is the Champions League, where the best teams have the best players, who play together all the time.

It's that simple.

You can have your Brazils and your Spains, but if a team of players is only meeting on a sporadic basis, like international teams do, then there is no way they'd be at the same level as the top club sides like Barca, Chelsea etc.

I think Spain would Beat Man Utd....comfortably.. I picked Spain becasue Man Utd have no top spanish players...

SWAR wrote: »
    I wouldn't just say the Champions League...what about the likes of Steven Hunt at Hull (first name that came into my head) who plays against the likes of Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs, Villa etc etc etc week in week out.

If you're in the later stages of the Champions League, there is very little fluff. At least half of the teams in the EPL are a, albeit physically demanding, sleepwalk for the big boys. Despite the occasional upset.

I think the step up cliche was as much to do with testing yourself against not only the best, but styles of football outside your own country.

That said, you're right insofar as the EPL is a much more heterogeneous league than it was when that cliche was forged: when playing international football was essential to put you in the shop window and bolster your club contract negotiations.

the EPL is a much more heterogeneous league than it was when that cliche was forged:
    Ya what now?

Ya what now?

More Carlos Kick-ball on the doorstep now. No need to go to Johnny Foreigner land to play them.

More Carlos Kick-ball on the doorstep now. No need to go to Johnny Foreigner land to play them.
    Good man, no need to be gettin all high brow wit yer fancy werds on a bleedin football forum!

• Advertisement
Advertisement