Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird problem with my HP laptop

• 08-10-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a HP pavilion 6700 with 3 USB ports. I have a musical instrument interface called a Line 6 toneport that I use with it. You basically plug an instrument into it, it feeds the sound into the computer and it comes out through the headphone jack again on the Toneport. The toneport is UBS powered.

It worked like a gem for a while, and I always plugged it into the same USB port. Then one day the sound stopped coming out through the headphones. You can visibly see that he sound goes through to the computer but just no sound out through the headphones.

I switched USB ports and it worked again. Problem is now this second USB port has the exact same problem. Sound goes in, but no sound coming back out. The USB ports seem to work fine for everything else still.

Does anyone have any idea why this may be? Would it be a power problem I wonder? Should I get a self powered USB hub? It's strange that both just stopped working like this, but are clearly still sending the signal to the computer.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Could be a shortage of power coming through the USB ports, or it could be a fault with the device. I would plug it into a different PC for testing first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,932 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That sounds like a problem with the toneport not the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

I can't see how it's a problem with the toneport really as it works in the 3rd USB port I have. It's just the first and second ports seem to have stopped working properly. I have tried another toneport i the same USB ports and same problem.

It's also worth noting that when you plug it into the first and second USB ports you can actually hear the sound through it for about a second, then dies.

This device was working like a dream for ages initially. About 6 months on first USB port. When that stopped it lasted about another 6 months on the second USB port. It's a bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Okay, I was comparing it to a different USB device that I had which behaved in a similar fashion and I had to have it replaced. It didn't need much power though. I took a look online and you're not the only person having this problem. Any chance you could borrow a powered USB hub from somewhere?

Also, I might be clutching at straws here, but I take it that you have the laptop plugged it and not running some kind of power-saving profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Yea have it plugged in.

I couldn't find anyone with the problem but maybe I wasn't searching the right places. Did you see some similar issues somewhere? It's very strange.

I guess I can try borrow a powered USB hub from somewhere. As far as I know they're not that expensive to buy?

It's just a very frustrating problem as it was great when it worked. Now this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement