Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nakon Thai in Douglas

Options
  • 08-10-2009 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi

Has anybody been to Nakon Thai in Douglas recently? It's very near to me, I've been here three months, any evening I've walked by it's either closed, empty or maybe four tables are in use - it doesn't seem to do much business? I read on the internet (going back to 2008) that it was rated the best Thai in Cork!! Any comments grateful, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I was in there 2 weeks ago collecting a take-away (around 6:30pm) and it was very busy.
    Yep, it's nice but quite pricey.

What day and time did you notice it being closed? I presume they close on Mondays and maybe don't open until 5pm weekdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Passed it last night at 9pm, four tables were in use, maybe it's just not busy on a Wed night. I've gone by on Saturday nights too, bout 11ish, it just hasn't been busy. I love Thai food but I like a bit of atmosphere too. I think they do an early bird but doesn't state how many courses, guessing 2, and it think it's 19.95. Have they got their own website, nakonthai.ie or nakonthai.com both don't work? I'm pretty sure it's been closed some evenings too, (after 9pm), maybe on sundays. We'll try it anyway, just wanted to know if it was any good. Maybe they do more takeaways than sit ins. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Last time I was in there on a Friday night it was packed - so much so that they kept us waiting 40 minutes for a table (pre-booked). Eventually they said the people were 'nearly finished' and offered us a free drink which we accepted - 30 minutes later, still no table & as we were about to leave, they tried to charge us for the 'free' drink !!

Never again...................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Andip wrote: »
    Last time I was in there on a Friday night it was packed - so much so that they kept us waiting 40 minutes for a table (pre-booked). Eventually they said the people were 'nearly finished' and offered us a free drink which we accepted - 30 minutes later, still no table & as we were about to leave, they tried to charge us for the 'free' drink !!

Never again...................

oh wow, that sounds bad alright! Can't believe they tried to charge you for the free drink!
    I've been there a few times but to be honest, I'd happily just get take out because I find the dining area to be very, well dead! There is zero atmosphere and the decor is just lame, it's just one plain open room and as a result sometimes it can get very noisy with chit chat from other tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Thanks for your comments, appreciate it. Might give dining in a miss then, need a bit of atmosphere, unless we're walking by, feeling peckish and it's buzzing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Oleander wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments, appreciate it. Might give dining in a miss then, need a bit of atmosphere, unless we're walking by, feeling peckish and it's buzzing!

I've had a couple of good meals in the Indian Restaurant on the corner opposite Barry's.....(actually where we ended up that night) - also the new one over Driscolls, but no idea what the menu there is..

Advertisement