Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deleted boot partition help

• 08-10-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I'm after deleting the boot partition on my XP PC HD. :(

I have taken the HD out and all files are there. Is there anyway I can re-instate the boot partition without having to do a fresh install? Any help would be great!

m.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

mfield wrote: »
    I'm after deleting the boot partition on my XP PC HD. :(

I have taken the HD out and all files are there. Is there anyway I can re-instate the boot partition without having to do a fresh install? Any help would be great!

m.

Do you have an XP install CD? If so, just put that in and do a fixboot.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixboot.mspx?mfr=true

No CD?

Download http://www.xubuntu.org.
    Burn to a live CD. Boot the system from that and transfer your files across to an external HDD. That'll save your files anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Dartz wrote: »
    Do you have an XP install CD? If so, just put that in and do a fixboot.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixboot.mspx?mfr=true

No CD?

Download http://www.xubuntu.org.
    Burn to a live CD. Boot the system from that and transfer your files across to an external HDD. That'll save your files anyway.

I have an XP CD but it won't allow me to repair.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If you skip past the recovery console option there is also the option to do a repair install in the OS install screen. This should get your system back on its legs.

Obviously back up your data first, just in case.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have an XP CD but it won't allow me to repair.

What happens when you try to get at the recovery console?

5uspect wrote: »
    If you skip past the recovery console option there is also the option to do a repair install in the OS install screen. This should get your system back on its legs.

Obviously back up your data first, just in case.

Thanks 5uspect but the option to repair is not listed to recover on OS install screen :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Thanks 5uspect but the option to repair is not listed to recover on OS install screen :confused:

The repair installation option is kind of hidden - you have to go through the normal installation route instead of the recovery console path. The installer should check your hard drive for any existing installations and then offers the repair install.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

mfield wrote:
    I'm after deleting the boot partition on my XP PC HD.

I have taken the HD out and all files are there. Is there anyway I can re-instate the boot partition without having to do a fresh install?

1 - Insert CD and Boot to the XP Installation (see below)

516-68224welcome-to-setup-s-.png

2 - Press R for the Recovery Console

3 - Select your Windows (press 1 and Enter), type in the Admin password (usually blank) and press Enter.

4 - Type FIXBOOT and press Enter, then press Y to confirm.

NTLDR%20is%20missing,%20A%20disk%20read%20error%20occurred%20&%20System%20hangs%20after%20BIOS%20POST%20finishes.jpg

5 - Type FIXMBR and press Enter, then press Y to confirm.

6 _ Type EXIT and the PC will restart (don't forget to remove the CD).

cpu-dude wrote: »
    1 - Insert CD and Boot to the XP Installation (see below)

516-68224welcome-to-setup-s-.png

2 - Press R for the Recovery Console

3 - Select your Windows (press 1 and Enter), type in the Admin password (usually blank) and press Enter.

4 - Type FIXBOOT and press Enter, then press Y to confirm.

NTLDR%20is%20missing,%20A%20disk%20read%20error%20occurred%20&%20System%20hangs%20after%20BIOS%20POST%20finishes.jpg

5 - Type FIXMBR and press Enter, then press Y to confirm.

6 _ Type EXIT and the PC will restart (don't forget to remove the CD).

Thanks for that CPU, I did all that but when the PC rebooted it is saying -

NTLDR is missing
    Press any key to restart

:confused:

Thanks for that CPU, I did all that but when the PC rebooted it is saying -

NTLDR is missing
    Press any key to restart

:confused:
    How many partitions have you on your computer? You need to do a FIXBOOT and FIXMBR pointed to the correct drive (if it's not C:, you run FIXBOOT D: or E: etc.).

• Advertisement

How many partitions have you on your computer? You need to do a FIXBOOT and FIXMBR pointed to the correct drive (if it's not C:, you run FIXBOOT D: or E: etc.).

I only have one partition, although there are some small partitions that came pre-installed from dell such as diagnostics but the windows directory is in C:

I only have one partition, although there are some small partitions that came pre-installed from dell such as diagnostics but the windows directory is in C:

If you're missing ntldr you should be able to fix it from the recovery console - you can copy ntldr and ntdetect from the i386 folder on your windows install disc to the root of your hard drive. Reboot and that should sort it - if you need the exact command go to support.microsoft.com and search for "ntldr missing windows xp", the relevant support article should be listed then

Fysh wrote: »
    If you're missing ntldr you should be able to fix it from the recovery console - you can copy ntldr and ntdetect from the i386 folder on your windows install disc to the root of your hard drive. Reboot and that should sort it - if you need the exact command go to support.microsoft.com and search for "ntldr missing windows xp", the relevant support article should be listed then
    I know the error says it's missing but it's just the first file it detects missing, I believe the MBR is pointed to the wrong partition.

If you run a Windows Repair Install, it should sort the problem out.

Thanks so far lads - we'll get there, I hope :)

Anywho, I have booted into install XP and there are four partitions

D: which has windows installed on it.

C: which is 8mb and is unknown file format

F: which is 3585mb and is FAT32

and then there is Partition 1, which has no drive letter, is FAT and 55mb

I am also not getting an option to repair.

The only options I get are to set up XP, create a partition to delete a partition.

Total confusement!

C: which is 8mb and is unknown file format

F: which is 3585mb and is FAT32

and then there is Partition 1, which has no drive letter, is FAT and 55mb

I am also not getting an option to repair.

The only options I get are to set up XP, create a partition to delete a partition.

Total confusement!
    Ok, you need to repeat my original steps but run FIXBOOT D: and FIXMBR D: instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Gavin Cotter

Just something I spotted cpu dude.
    You don't need to run that fixmbr program at all.That's only needed on the primary hard drive, not an system partition.I'm not correcting your or anything, just making you aware of it's usage.

Ok, you need to repeat my original steps but run FIXBOOT D: and FIXMBR D: instead.

Many thanks for this cpu, I'll have a go at this in the morning and let you know how I get on! :)

Still getting the same error :(

NTLDR is missing
    Press any key to restart

Still getting the same error :(

NTLDR is missing
    Press any key to restart
    What is on this F: Partition?

What is on this F: Partition?

I dunno, but to put you in the picture.

The reason all this happened is because I booted up to a Windows 98 boot disk and went into fdisk because I wanted to format an external drive.

I selected create DOS partition and created as primary partition.

I obviously did this to the wrong drive and when I rebooted the machine, all this crap started.

Yes, I am an idiot :o

• Advertisement

I dunno, but to put you in the picture.

The reason all this happened is because I booted up to a Windows 98 boot disk and went into fdisk because I wanted to format an external drive.

I selected create DOS partition and created as primary partition.

I obviously did this to the wrong drive and when I rebooted the machine, all this crap started.

Yes, I am an idiot :o
    Now that bit of information would have been nice at the start ;)

It's very possible you formatted your XP partition, FDISK is an outdated awkward little bugger.

Most likely it wouldn't detect the USB external drive because well, it's the Windows 98 Boot Disk.

When you run the XP install CD, how much free space do the partitions have?

xp-setup-partition-format.png

I dunno how to screen grab, but here's whate comes up

-: Partition1 [FAT] 55MB (47MB free)
    D: Partition2 [NTFS] 72638MB (55714MB free)
    C: Partition4 [Unknown] 8MB (7MB free)
    F: Partition3 [FAT32] 3585MB (1919MB free)
    Unpartitioned space 8MB

I dunno how to screen grab, but here's whate comes up

-: Partition1 [FAT] 55MB (47MB free)
    D: Partition2 [NTFS] 72638MB (55714MB free)
    C: Partition4 [Unknown] 8MB (7MB free)
    F: Partition3 [FAT32] 3585MB (1919MB free)
    Unpartitioned space 8MB
    Do you know which partition for sure that you installed Windows XP on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Do you know which partition for sure that you installed Windows XP on?

I think you will find his answer above, Windows is installed on D:

Vanbis wrote: »
    I think you will find his answer above, Windows is installed on D:
    I'm aware of that but since the FDISK encounter and the messyness of his current setup, I wanted to make sure.

Will you try once again to do a FIXBOOT for Partition 2 D: and reboot. Also, make sure your external drive is plugged out.

I'm aware of that but since the FDISK encounter and the messyness of his current setup, I wanted to make sure.

Will you try once again to do a FIXBOOT for Partition 2 D: and reboot. Also, make sure your external drive is plugged out.

Did that. When I do FIXBOOT on partition D: it tells me the target partition is C:

I presume that's right, yeah?

So anyway, I did that and we're back to NTLDR is missing

I'm off to grab my gun.......

Did that. When I do FIXBOOT on partition D: it tells me the target partition is C:

I presume that's right, yeah?

So anyway, I did that and we're back to NTLDR is missing

I'm off to grab my gun.......
    You need to type FIXBOOT D: and then it will say the Target Partition is D:

You need to type FIXBOOT D: and then it will say the Target Partition is D:

Did that and still the same NTLDR is missing crap!! :confused:

Did that and still the same NTLDR is missing crap!! :confused:
    Partition 1 and 4 appear to be practically empty, it looks like you may have formatted one or both of them causing you to loose your XP Boot files. I suggest you delete them (then restart the PC) and attempt to Repair Install Windows XP again on the new C: partition (which will appear when you remove the two small partitions). This way, it should appear like this...

C: Partition1 [NTFS] 72638MB (55714MB free)
    D: Partition3 [FAT32] 3585MB (1919MB free)
    Unpartitioned space 71MB

XP should then make the C: partition active and boot from there (a FIXBOOT and FIXMBR may be necessary afterwards again).

• Advertisement

Partition 1 and 4 appear to be practically empty, it looks like you may have formatted one or both of them causing you to loose your XP Boot files. I suggest you delete them (then restart the PC) and attempt to Repair Install Windows XP again on the new C: partition (which will appear when you remove the two small partitions). This way, it should appear like this...

C: Partition1 [NTFS] 72638MB (55714MB free)
    D: Partition3 [FAT32] 3585MB (1919MB free)
    Unpartitioned space 71MB

XP should then make the C: partition active and boot from there (a FIXBOOT and FIXMBR may be necessary afterwards again).

OK, I have as you say above except it's C: and E:

Now when I reboot I get

No boot device available -
    strike F1 to retry boot, F3 for setup utility

Also, there is still no option to repair in the Windows setup screen

Advertisement