Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a new phone line help my broadband speeds?

• 08-10-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

I live in Bray (Co. Wicklow) and my phone line tests for 2MB downloads. The house is about 12 years old, so I would have thought the wiring should be OK.

My question is would anyone know if I order a new line might help or compound the problem?

Has anyone else gone down this route?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dluby wrote: »
    Hi,

I live in Bray (Co. Wicklow) and my phone line tests for 2MB downloads. The house is about 12 years old, so I would have thought the wiring should be OK.

My question is would anyone know if I order a new line might help or compound the problem?

Thanks

How far are you from the exchange?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dluby wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

What are you line stats at the moment?

Also internal wiring can contribute to problems. Have you many extensions around the house? Have you dsl filters on any extensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dluby

I'm not too sure of the distance to the exchange, but I live < 3KM outside Bray.

I currently use IBB (their wireless solution and not DSL), so interference on lines isn't an issue.

I've just done a few pings of www.boards.ie and the results are faster than I thought!

Pinging www.boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=61
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=61
    Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 10ms

From what I believe is a gaming server in the UK, I get:

Pinging jolt.co.uk [84.234.17.86] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=119
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=119
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=119
    Reply from 84.234.17.86: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=119
    Ping statistics for 84.234.17.86:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 26ms, Average = 24ms

What do you think of these stats.

Really where I am going with this, is my son has a PS3 and is experiencing difficulties getting online and/or staying online. I thought moving to DSL might help???

Thanks for your help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Assuming that the exchange is another 1km into the town that is 4km .

You would be lucky to get pings like that on a 4km line at 9pm at night . I recommend you run some pings of a neighbour with a 3mbit DSL service before you do anything rash !! I get slightly worse at less than 2km . IBB give you a large uplink speed which is not possible with residential DSL.

I seem to remember an issue with IBB and their frame sizes which may cause fragmentation , the MTU was odd or something . This was the resolution for that at the time . It may be irrelevant but is worth a shot .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=320242

Advertisement