Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Lady to appear in Knock on Sunday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

An estimated 10 000 people are at Knock shrine in Co Mayo in the hope of witnessing a new apparition of Our Lady.
    Many people have also claimed they have seen the sun dancing in the sky and changing colour on a number of these occasions including today.

I hope everyone of them gets washed off the hill in a torrential downpour and then get swine flu. When will people in this country ever emerge from the middle ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

clown bag wrote: »
    I hope everyone of them gets washed off the hill in a torrential downpour and then get swine flu. When will people in this country ever emerge from the middle ages.
    Why are people so harsh on religion. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you have to completely ridicule them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Why are people so harsh on religion. Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean you have to completely ridicule them.
    You obviously know nothing on the history of Religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

It just bugs the hell out of me that people still fall for this nonsense. There's no excuse in this day and age. 10,000 is a lot of people to assemble on a hill on a stormy day in october to look for imaginary friends. If it was 10 I'd say good luck to them and make them some sambos and tea or something but 10,000 is a bit nuts.

clown bag wrote: »
    It just bugs the hell out of me that people still fall for this nonsense. There's no excuse in this day and age. 10,000 is a lot of people to assemble on a hill on a stormy day in october to look for imaginary friends. If it was 10 I'd say good luck to them and make them some sambos and tea or something but 10,000 is a bit nuts.
    How can you think that this is all there is? Ever wonder why we haven't been hit by an asteroid or a supermassive earthquake. There is certainly life outside this planet too. I'm not a staunch Catholic by any means but to simply rule out any possible idea of an afterlife is extremely stubborn don't you think.

Sorry for dragging thread off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mr Coleman left the shrine saying Our Lady had appeared in the Basilica but that he was not prepared to reveal her message just yet.

It has been reported that Mr Coleman will reveal the message for a picture of your moms bewbs
    He has heard that your mom has the sweetest bewbs ever.
    He wants three minutes alone with the picture behind the bushes.

mikom wrote: »
    It has been reported that Mr Coleman will reveal the message for a picture of your moms bewbs
    He has heard that your mom has the sweetest bewbs ever.
    He wants three minutes alone with the picture behind the bushes.
    Another great reference that unfortunatley less than 10 people will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Explain

South Park Joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcAY9c1Ahf4

Video of apparition two weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

How can you think that this is all there is? Ever wonder why we haven't been hit by an asteroid or a supermassive earthquake. There is certainly life outside this planet too. I'm not a staunch Catholic by any means but to simply rule out any possible idea of an afterlife is extremely stubborn don't you think.

Ehhm - We have, many times. And hurricanes and tsunamis and diseases and .......
    Whats your point?
    Or are you saying that the people in knock are sparing Ireland from these things?

A Dublin pavee preaching about Mary and how he has brought his 20 children to visit her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8S1tCY2pUI

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    Ehhm - We have, many times. And hurricanes and tsunamis and diseases and .......
    Whats your point?
    Or are you saying that the people in knock are sparing Ireland from these things?
    Not since the dawning of humanity. People in Knock just have more faith than me or you

It was on RTÉ news there. Mr Coleman said about the clergy - "May God forgive them".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this whole sorry saga is more like voodoo than christianity

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

An embarassment to the country really.. these people obviously aren't capable of rational thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Not since the dawning of humanity.

Which is nothing but a minuscule dot on the timeline of the Solar System. It's inevitable that something like that will happen, it just hasn't happened yet.
    People in Knock just have more faith than me or you

Does that make them right?
    Does it make them any less silly for believing the word of a faith healer/psychic/whatever he calls himself?
    Does it make them any less silly for staring directly at the sun?

If someone wants to believe in god or fairies or Thor then go right ahead, but I will comment on their beliefs and actions the same way I would a white supremacists or a Republican in America. I will debate them, I will question them and sometimes I will mock them.

Religion should not be given some sort of automatic respect, it doesn't deserve it. And it is events like this that underline the fact that it does not deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

10,000 people? This country is ****ing mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

There's lots of arguments that the original apparition was in fact an early magic lantern show.

...but then again, who's to argue with tourists?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

we have been hit by asteriods on numerous occasions (by us i mean the earth), remember life on this earth is but a blip in the overall age of the planet, the moon does a good job at protecting the earth from foreign bodies too and jupiter just happens to be a giant vacuum cleaner

supermassive earthquake?? there has been numerous earthquakes 8.5 or over in the last 100 years http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/world/10_largest_world.php

• Advertisement

Not since the dawning of humanity. People in Knock just have more faith than me or you

So you think there have been no major natural disasters since the dawning of humanity? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

my experience of knock today

was standing at the back of the bascillica. i could not get a seat as there were throngs of people. at 3pm, loads of people started taking pictures of the alter. at around 3.15 there was total uproar and could hear screaming...everyone ran to the doors.. had she appeared outside? i dont know! so stood outside amoung the thousands staring at the sun. when i looked at it first I saw pink light flashing like thunder for about 5 seconds. good few people clapped. thats all that was out of the ordinary for me. im wondering if it was just my eyes reacting to the sun or if this was different. i dont think ive ever actually stared at the sun so i dont have much to compare it to! anyways, i think that our lady wouldn't appear to such a huge crowd. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

as my sister says - why have all these 'miracles' happened years ago - lourdes, fatima etc? No electricity led to darkness and ghost stories and active imaginations etc!!! And she said this knock thing is money for local businesses. I dont agree with her though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You obviously know nothing on the history of Religion.
    I believe the majority of us who have done atleast a Junior cert will know the basics....

I guess its cool to slag off religion because its what everyone does, right?

Anyways what bad has christianity itself done to anyone? ( I am awaiting an onslaught of posts now :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dunno...maybe people are irked because of centuries of child-abuse, burning women at the steak, crusades, enforced slavery working in laundries...

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    as my sister says - why have all these 'miracles' happened years ago - lourdes, fatima etc? No electricity led to darkness and ghost stories and active imaginations etc!!! And she said this knock thing is money for local businesses. I dont agree with her though!

And also there were no cameras.
    Now everyone has a camera on their phone or even a movie camera on it.
    So now there is no excuse for not getting CLEAR pictures. How many people did we see on the news with cameras, but i bet none of them show anything CLEARLY at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    Not really....
    Zeitoun for example was in the 70s, witnessed by atleast a million.

@stiff kitten
    Try staring at the sun tomorrow for 5 seconds and see if anything happens, if nothing happens tomorrow then while I don't know what exactly happened at knock we can safely say something did happen out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's called probability.
    The chances of Earth being hit are quite low.
    However,
    Last October (oh wait still october!) one the size 50 Atomic Bombs detonated in the atmosphere, we trapped one in our orbit last year, and we have one mega whopper called Apophis that could do some mega damage - it will miss earth on the first pass, but depending on where it passes by earth the next time may be a different story in the 2030s.
    Now that was only asteroids...

On topic,
    So did folks see something this time, or was it just the fraudster clairvoyant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Not really....

Yesterday it was 'millions' now it was 'at least a million'. The crowd is dwindling! Regardless, any claim of millions of people turning up to Zeitoun is completely unsubstantiated. The only proof of an apparition is a drawing and some dodgy photos all taken by the one photographer showing nothing more than a splodge. That's all there is, despite the fact that the apparition 'appeared' to 'millions' over the course of about 3 years. That is not proof, there is no proof aside from wishful thinking and blind faith in your head.

Did you read your previous thread on Zeitoun yet? Because each of the points that you will undoubtedly bring up here have been dealt with in that thread. Stop using it as proof when it very clearly isn't.
    Try staring at the sun tomorrow for 5 seconds and see if anything happens, if nothing happens tomorrow then while I don't know what exactly happened at knock we can safely say something did happen out of the ordinary.

No, we can safely assume that nothing out of the ordinary happened. Why? Because there is no proof other than people wanting something to appear and then wishful thinking and a heap of other psychological reactions kicking in.

Also, don't stare at the sun tomorrow. It's bad for your eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

Not really....

@stiff kitten

ha ha ha! hard ta know..it really is!:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement