Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our Lady to appear in Knock on Sunday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Funjunkie

Darlughda wrote: »
    I just do not believe a word of this post is genuine.
    This is infuriating. I do believe in phenomena that cannot be explained scientifically, but a mob mentality idea to confirm a faith is just medieval.

Totally agree, this is more of the sick minded propaganda put about by these appalling stupid religious fanatics.I can say for a 100% fact that (I was there, I live there) absolutely nothing happened except a wave of mass hysteria by the ignorant.

If you looked at a lightbulb you would get a a blurred view and anyone with even half a rational brain knows not to believe the ramblings of a hard living , long term unemployed Ballyfermot bousie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Funjunkie

Mayo is a bit backwards in fairness

Wanker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Funjunkie wrote: »
    Wanker

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Wouldn't it have been gas had someone dressed up as the Virgin Mary and walked towards the crowd from the direction of the sun, proper Father Ted **** right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

This sort of thing is always the same. An apparition comes and portents doom and hope in equal measures and eventually peters out after much hysteria.

Mary didn't appear. The sun did nothing unusual other than come out from the clouds.

Why doesn't Jesus appear himself instead of figures representing him?

The Church will stay very quiet about condemning this one as they saw the numbers of people who turned up and are going to cash in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Have to say a lot of utter waffle in this thread. I saw the sun dance? was it break dancing or more of a slow tango?

So I'm curious if Mary didn't appear and it was teh sun that changed isn't the sun visable from all over the country? Didn't change at all in Wicklow. Anyone else around the country see it change? Did you have to be in knock to see it change? Did you exit through the gift shop after the show? Did you empty your wallet into the collection basket being passed around?

On another note as anyone will be able to tell you, apart from teh "scientist" amongst us, if you stare at the sun for long enough your eyes go mad and your vision starts to play tricks on you. This is nothing devine, this is logic. Oh but wait, that L word isn't allowed when it comes to religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Was there anyone there selling commerative tshirts, hats, scarves and headbands.

- Knock Knock
    -- Who's There
    - Not the Virgin Mary

"I went to Knock to see the Virgin Mary and all I got was this lousy retinal damage"

Or to hedge their bets : "Apollo, Helios, Ra, Mary ... You Decide"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It doesnt matter what people say unless you see it for yourself, None of yous are going to believe it. So leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pangea wrote: »
    It doesnt matter what people say unless you see it for yourself, None of yous are going to believe it. So leave it at that.
    There's a video posted on the last page which allows us all to see it for ourselves. And see that in fact, nothing happened. Which allows us to unequivocably dismiss anyone's belief about what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

FunkZ wrote: »
    Wouldn't it have been gas had someone dressed up as the Virgin Mary and walked towards the crowd from the direction of the sun, proper Father Ted **** right there!

Got a picture of bishop brennan running accross the field with his huge cape swinging wildly their :)

• Advertisement

So is Knock must surely be holier than we thought? In Fr Ted fashion I wonder is it now being upgraded to a Class 1?

Dougal: Wow. Weird. That'd be nearly enough to upgrade it to a Class 1.

Ted: Ooh, Class 1'd be very rare. That'd be bringing people back to life... time travel... cloning dinosaurs... Very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

joe123 wrote: »
    Open to scrutiny yes. Open to mockery? No. And just reading through some of the comments on this board it seems people that are sceptic need to to pull the piss.

Some people believe in something but dont go along with everything the church says.

This whole thread just reeks of smug people who think they know it all. That alone is annoying.

If my neighbour told me he/she was in knock and felt/thought they saw something and came away better for it id think to myself "good for you" and not "you deluded fool".

Of course it is open to mockery. As Christopher Hitchens brilliantly puts it

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." If that comes across as mockery then tough titties to the believers I say

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eveya

If people want to go to Knock then leave them alone, I think it is actually refreshing that people consider there is something greater than themselves out there. If religion gives nothing else but a sense of community then it's worth something. I don't care if you're Catholic, Baptist, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, agnostic or atheist etc., as long as no one is being hurt everyone's beliefs should be respected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

eveya wrote: »
    If people want to go to Knock then leave them alone, I think it is actually refreshing that people consider there is something greater than themselves out there. If religion gives nothing else but a sense of community then it's worth something. I don't care if you're Catholic, Baptist, Buddhist, Muslim, Jewish, agnostic or atheist etc., as long as no one is being hurt everyone's beliefs should be respected.

Of course, because religion never hurt anyone - right? ;)

P.S. I notice that you left out Jonestown, Heavens Gate, David Koresh etc etc.
    Mass religious hysteria can be anything but harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You're right, it doesn't matter what religion someone is.. the idea that people believe that a divine being appeared to them transcends all religions

It's just pure lunacy, and the power of suggestion is something that preys on the vulnerable.. because to believe you seen something means that you hoped to see it, and it reinforces the false hope that you have.

And this is a discussion forum.. so unless people are been personally abused, what's the harm in questioning it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

IF it gave nothing else but that then I don't think I'd have a problem but it doesn't, does it?

and here we go grandually down the path to the creationism and bible thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

Some 20 years ago, when I was very young, on holidays, on the other side of the world, I was bored out of my mind and I tried looking directly into the sun. It's hard, but if you train your eye to do that (lot of squinting, and lot of looking away), you can look into the sun, and I still remember seeing this shiny disk, that keeps changing color sharply (sliding movement, left to right, even remember that), and the aura around it was also moving, anti-clockwise.

It left me partially blind for a few hours, but I didn't know Virgin Mary was working on the sun there at that time. Must be hard work.

iregk wrote: »
    and here we go grandually down the path to the creationism and bible thread...

Well to be fair the virgin mary is a character from the bible...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Well to be fair the virgin mary is a character from the bible...

Oh she's a character alright :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Nothing is entitled to automatic respect. Respect is earned. If people want to stand around in Knock and claim they saw Mary in the Sun or whatever, that's fine. I'll defend to the death a person's right to believe whatever stupid crap they want, but I will not respect them for it, no more than I'll respect a madman's belief that he's Napoleon.

mobius42 wrote: »
    Nothing is entitled to automatic respect. Respect is earned. If people want to stand around in Knock and claim they saw Mary in the Sun or whatever, that's fine. I'll defend to the death a person's right to believe whatever stupid crap they want, but I will not respect them for it, no more than I'll respect a madman's belief that he's Napoleon.

Would you defend the mad man's right to believe he is Napoleon. Would you be outraged at society if they tried to confine him in an institution for that belief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Would you defend the mad man's right to believe he is Napoleon. Would you be outraged at society if they tried to confine him in an institution for that belief?

People are confined to an institution if they are a danger to themselves or others. However, that was not the point of my example. I was saying that just because someone firmly holds a belief, doesn't mean that the belief is worthy of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

mrblueskys wrote: »
    what a sorry load of people... i am a scientist for 35 years and i happened to be in the knock area yesterday by chance....a religeous skeptic most of my later life but what i seen in the sky was breat taking it was unreal ....

That post is actually quite funny Mr.Blueskys, you're good for a laugh anyway!

Amazing how there's new accounts popping up every 10 minutes to defend this.

Surely you can't be doubting MrBlueskys scientific credentials aidan? Shame on you. I mean as a scientist he simply stated that you can look at the sun and it wont effect you. I mean, I can't argue with research like that. I can see Ray-Ban, Oakley etc... going out of business tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

Kradock wrote: »
    I am going to be up around that side of the country on Sunday , I may go and see if she appears . I will report back , God help ye if she does , I will show her this thread.

Couldn't get parking , with all the people that were staring at the sky . So nothing to report other than a warm fuzzy feeling and an immense since of well being as I drove past. I do not know if the feeling was in any way connected with the dancing sun , I think it had more to do with the fact my own little bit of heaven was singing Taylor Swift to me as we passed. I really must get her to listen to some decent music.

I do however find it really annoying that people on here are so quick to knock ( excuse the pun ) other peoples beleifs. It's that kind of thinkink that drives Al Queda to carry out their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Kradock wrote: »
    I do however find it really annoying that people on here are so quick to knock ( excuse the pun ) other peoples beleifs. It's that kind of thinkink that drives Al Queda to carry out their actions.

A person's 'beliefs' do not automatically deserve respect, not where people are prepared to suspend all sensible reasoning. Now I believe in each to their own and all that. And if somebody wants to spend a Sunday afternoon staring at the sun in Co.Mayo and convincing themselves that a zombie ghost from ancient Israel is going to appear before them, and that she's causing the sun to dance around, and that this really happened and it means something, then good for them, but don't expect me to have any respect whatsoever for that, it amounts to just plain silliness (and I'm being kind in just calling it silly).

I'm not the only one,
    Staring at the sun.
    Afraid of what you'd find
    If you took a look inside
    I'm not just deaf and dumb
    Staring at the sun
    Not the only one
    Who's happy to go blind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

Who would have guessed she spoke with a Dublin accent :D:D

What a legend! Hopefully hot blonde chick with her I phone has a few pictures

Also why is there children constantly crying in all these videos:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

her voice is a bit deep,innit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement