Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless printing security-without a router

Options
  • 08-10-2009 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

i have a laptop with built in wireless,this morning i obtained an wireless printer,but do not have an wireless router,anyways i got the laptop to see the wireless printer and it works fine,i am just stuck on the part of making it secure,its an adhoc connection,since its unecrypted the lappy and printer work fine,but when comes to secureing it the printer lappy cant see eother,is this down to me not having go through a router?,should i secure the connection?,in my network settings it is set as local only connection...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Funny story on a wireless printer.....

I bought one about 12 months back, took it out of the box & hooked it up securely through my router. Due to network issues, I had to drop the security for a few days & noticed my neighbour was latching onto my wifi.

One morning I heard it printing & when I looked saw that my neighbour had somehow printed to it - only prob was it was an email confirmation for a rather embarrassing medical complaint :eek:

As far as I know, the only way you'll get it secure is via a router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

update-well,i reread the manual again,i was making a mistake on the wep keys,so now its secured :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Fred83 wrote: »
    update-well,i reread the manual again,i was making a mistake on the wep keys,so now its secured :o

Wep is not secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

What wireless printers are good for home use?

Advertisement