Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking the Dog

Options
  • 08-10-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

So what dog you got (how old), how often do you walk them and how far (on/off lead) - just out of interest.

Myself, male boxer/lab and female GSD cross both about 4 years.

Walked every morning for about 20-30 minutes - approx 2 miles and every evening for just over an hour - approx 4 miles all on lead.

And yes i work, :rolleyes: in an office 9 to 5.30 every week day :P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

two westies (girl nearly 2, boy nearly 14)
    30 min in the morning
    15 min at lunch time
    60 min in the afternoon
    15 min between 22.00 - 23.00h
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

30 min in the morning
    15 min at lunch time
    60 min in the afternoon

jee's thought i was doing well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

spaniel/collie X
    walk/run 30 mins in the morning before work
    20 mins as soon as we come home in the evening
    1 - 1.15 hours about 8-9ish

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

30 min in the morning
    15 min at lunch time
    60 min in the afternoon

Jaysus they must be knackered!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

30 min in the morning
    15 min at lunch time
    60 min in the afternoon
    Thats quite alot for 2 little dogs:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Hi Paul.

Your doing really well.

I a 5 month old wheaten terrier. I bring him for an hour / hour and a half walk everyday. We are beside the phoenix park, so he is on the lead for a bit and then we let him off for a good run and play. We have a dog frisbee which he's staring to understand! I do about a 3rd of the distance he does, I'd say he's walked about 2 miles and runs about that again by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our retriever pup will be going on his first walk this weekend :D He's 3 months so 15mins is all he can go on for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Rottie/ Lab X, nearly 2 yrs old. mon - fri: 1.5 hrs / day (1hr off lead then 0.5 hr on lead), varies at the weekend but usually go up the mountains for a few hours.

hey funkey - that's the same as Tyson then, he's on a 5m extender lead and runs up and down and left and right on it :D while Roxy just walks in a dead straight line A to B

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

I have a Kerry Beagle, needs loads of excercise. I do a 10K run with him 3-4 times a week maybe with the odd 16K thrown in the odd week. Majority is on a canal and I let him off the lead. Before I had the dog I never did any of this...so I have him to thank for getting fit. He's also 4 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

tk123 wrote: »
    Our retriever pup will be going on his first walk this weekend :D He's 3 months so 15mins is all he can go on for now.

Ah how cute. What is his name? What colour retreiver is he?

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Ah how cute. What is his name? What colour retreiver is he?

His name is Bailey and he's a golden retriever. I can't wait to take him out! :D

His name is Bailey and he's a golden retriever. I can't wait to take him out! :D

he's cute alright - what a handsome chap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a male Tibetan terrier, bit over a year old and a female 5 month old Lhasa Apso. Every morning(except when the rain is very heavy) we go in the car to the local river and the dogs run along the bank playing for about half hour to 45mins, its safe and enclosed. Little one was carried a mostly at first but now she won't hear of it. I know some will say she's too young for that much but its soft ground and they're off the lead. We meet a few dogs and people too which is great.
    Then lunch time they get a quick 10min walk round the block, and afternoons the same or short run at the river again, 10 mins after dinner most evenings too, usually just for the older fella.
    My garden is tiny so they can't run around so they really need the off lead playtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Japanese Spitz - 8 and half years
    Chihuahua - 4 years
    Rottweiler - 13 weeks

The two older dogs go for an hour off leash walk Mon-Fri and 1.5-2hr walk in the mountains, beach etc. at the weekends. Our pup won't be able to go out for another week and then I will build her up to longer walks over the next year;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

The eldest is a lab/collie cross aged 10 (and a half). The other two are Jack Russell crosses aged 7 and 2.

20 min walk to park about midday followed by 60-90 mins chasing balls (although the eldest only makes token attempts at chasing) and swimming in the river beside park, then walk home.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭heno86

damn now i feel lazy! i have a pitbull terrier and she is the laziest dog ive ever come across, in the house she's more than happy to lie on the couch all day but she gets about an hour and a half walk on and off leash daily and playing too.....your all putting me to shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

handful of westies and a cairn; 2 miles in the morning and 5 miles in the evening, usually around the marina (in Cork City). We do go to the woods twice a week, usually for the benefit of the cairn who enjoys a good dig. We did the beach mostly during the summer but the westies don't particularly like sand :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

We have a 1.5 year old Pointer X called Monty who gets about a 1 hour walk and ball chasing every evening. We take him out mountain biking at the weekends where we usually do about 25km and he's still running around! Nothing tires him out!
    Then theres Kula, she is an 8 month GSD who gets about a 35 min walk every evening. We have to be careful with her as she has hip displaysia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Harley, just gone 1 year, a lab/staff cross. He gets about 20 mins in the morning. Except for the 2 mornings I'm in work when I'm ashamed to say we skip the morning walk.

He then gets another 40 mins to an hour walk by a river in the evenings followed by a swim, and a while just messing about on the bank burying things etc. (do you think that with the colder weather coming in we should stop the swimming, or is he ok if we dry him when he comes out?) Then he usually gets a jog/run in the late evenings for about 20 - 30 mins. I let my OH look after that.

This has changed and is not as structured as it was but he seems to be enjoying it.

We then usually go walking in the mountains on a sat or sunday, but this week we're going to try the dog park in Marlay Park. Can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Harley, just gone 1 year, a lab/staff cross. He gets about 20 mins in the morning. Except for the 2 mornings I'm in work when I'm ashamed to say we skip the morning walk.

He then gets another 40 mins to an hour walk by a river in the evenings followed by a swim, and a while just messing about on the bank burying things etc. (do you think that with the colder weather coming in we should stop the swimming, or is he ok if we dry him when he comes out?) Then he usually gets a jog/run in the late evenings for about 20 - 30 mins. I let my OH look after that.

This has changed and is not as structured as it was but he seems to be enjoying it.

We then usually go walking in the mountains on a sat or sunday, but this week we're going to try the dog park in Marlay Park. Can't wait.

Leave it up to the dog. My eldest - a lab/collie cross - will happily plunge into the river winter or summer, although now that she's getting older I try to stop her swimming in winter. One of the others - both jack russell crosses - will avoid the river in winter, but the youngest will follow the eldest to hell and back.

Just keep an eye on the river after rain. While some dogs have sense and won't go in to a fast flowing river, the eldest is not one of these and will plunge in regardless. When the river is high and fast-flowing I put her on a lead if she shows any signs of wanting a dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

(do you think that with the colder weather coming in we should stop the swimming, or is he ok if we dry him when he comes out?) quote]

Our Japanese Spitz loves the water, we used to have a large water bowl when he was a pup as we had a GSD at the time and he used to lie in it instead of on the ground!!!! Even now at almost 9 he must get in the water at least once per walk, summer and winter, it doesn't seem to make any difference to him and he has never shown any ill effects from it. He will start off his walk as a fluffy snow white 'cloud' and finish like a drown rat!!!:D

Flat out after his first walk.:pac: He couldn't understand why some people were just walking by him instead of giving him hugs and kisses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 petchums.com

As I always say, a tired dog is a happy one... I bring my dog jogging and it great for us both

Advertisement