Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNAPPING WITH SNAP CALLING / RAISING

Options
  • 08-10-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Looking for some advice please,
    Recently I have been playing fairly solid poker at micro on line and playing some pub games (€50-€60 buy in). I have found that on final tables or at the bubble I am on average in third fourth spot chip wise.

My frustration is that I am losing my concentration at this stage and either pushing or calling with mediocre hands, it is driving me nuts and I am trying everything to stop myself from acting before I read through the hand. I have tried keeping my hands away from the table or mouse, sitting on my hands, counting etc...before I act, But still the anxiety gets the better of me.

I was sick this week when I was in a great spot in a pub game with seven players left with 5 being paid, there was one loose player shoving almost every hand and showing A rag, Q7 etc... so he shoved again on my SB with 10k left, I had approx 45k, blinds were at 2/4k, so I came over the top with QJ to isolate play between me and the raiser, however the BB called my raise and I walked into his QQ, the raiser had KK as it turns out.

I know full well that I could have mucked, however without really thinking I shoved without anticipating what the BB would do. I ended up going out on the bubble again! This is the biggest weakness in my game at the mo and would really appreciate some tips?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

bust out long before the final table and go drinking

problem solved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Chill Winston imo.

On a serious note-get into a routine for every hand so that it becomes not a chore to do it but like clockwork. Ex. watch the other players check their cards, then check yours,put a chip on your cards to protect them,then consider all the options availaible to you raise,fold,call and why-what you will do if reraised etc. Do this every hand bag of spanners or not and it should help. Try and make the correct choice every single hand of every street and identify your reasoning for doing so.That way you wont be acting rashly or going bananas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Every time you do something like this say out loud that its because you have ED. Negative reinforcement works. I bet it doesn't happen more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

http://spencerjamespkr.blogspot.com/2008/09/3-ps-patience-patience-is-well-known.html

I talk about the importance of a pre-hand routine in this blog, along with some other important psychological traits needed to succeed at poker.IMO of course. Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

I think your play in that hand is ok.

You are way ahead of buttons range and he is only playing 2.5bbs. You dont want to call and give bb value to call.

If you are bb you should probably call buttons shove with any two cards.

Just study the theory forum here and i would suggest buyin harrington on holdem, it is a great book for a player with a certain knowledge of poker looking to further there knowledge.

It goes through scenarios like yours above and talks about the right moves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭horsebox1

Thanks,

I am generally disciplined at pre hand routine, if i'm honest not like clockwork though! I have read some of the feedback posted, its clear I need to dig deeper, it's the latter part of the game where I insta call or shove around the bubble when I don't need to, prob down to concentration. Thanks for your advice.
    jbravado wrote: »
    Chill Winston imo.

On a serious note-get into a routine for every hand so that it becomes not a chore to do it but like clockwork. Ex. watch the other players check their cards, then check yours,put a chip on your cards to protect them,then consider all the options availaible to you raise,fold,call and why-what you will do if reraised etc. Do this every hand bag of spanners or not and it should help. Try and make the correct choice every single hand of every street and identify your reasoning for doing so.That way you wont be acting rashly or going bananas.

Thanks for this, I have just finished vol 1 on Harrington and have ordered vol 2, I prob need to go back over aspects of the hands in vol 1 before I read 2 "The end game" which is where I am suffering.

Cheers
    tipp86 wrote: »
    I think your play in that hand is ok.

You are way ahead of buttons range and he is only playing 2.5bbs. You dont want to call and give bb value to call.

If you are bb you should probably call buttons shove with any two cards.

Just study the theory forum here and i would suggest buyin harrington on holdem, it is a great book for a player with a certain knowledge of poker looking to further there knowledge.

It goes through scenarios like yours above and talks about the right moves

Had a look at this. Cheers, I will give this a bash. Think I prob need to load up on the red bull also...

Thanks again.
    http://spencerjamespkr.blogspot.com/2008/09/3-ps-patience-patience-is-well-known.html

I talk about the importance of a pre-hand routine in this blog, along with some other important psychological traits needed to succeed at poker.IMO of course. Hope it helps

can you explain ED?
    Thanks,
    TommyGunne wrote: »
    Every time you do something like this say out loud that its because you have ED. Negative reinforcement works. I bet it doesn't happen more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Small Change

horsebox1 wrote: »
    can you explain ED?
    Thanks,

I would guess he means Er***ile Dysfunction ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement