Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BREAKING IN BOOTS

Options
  • 08-10-2009 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

FOLKS, ANYONE ONE OUT THERE WITH SOME IDEAS INTO THE BEST WAY OF BREAKING IN A NEW PAIR OF BOOTS. I BOUGHT A NEW PAIR OF 4- SEASON ASOLO BOOTS WHICH ARE TAKING FOREVER TO BREAK IN AND TO BE HONEST .. DRIVING ME INSANE!!......... ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

With boots as advanced as they are nowadays, I wonder if they're the right boots for you?
    In the old days we used to wear boots to bed to break them in! Not sure about the need for that nowadays...
    I'd suggest liner socks, plus walking socks and shortish walks on hill/soft surface, not trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree. If they're that bad, there's something fundamentally incompatible between them and your feet .. wrong size, too narrow, too much / too little volume in the main part of the boot etc. A lot of these things can be corrected with heel lifts, volume reducing insoles etc., but some things just can't be corrected.

When I bought my last pair of boots, I popped them on and straight away went on a 180km walking holiday with no problems at all, so it can be done.

One thing that occurs to me ... ASOLO are an Italian make, right? Italian made boots traditionally are made on a relatively narrow last, which doesn't suit many people with wider feet. Maybe that's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

bloody italians:D how did the coast to coast go ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

johnny 71 wrote: »
    FOLKS, ANYONE ONE OUT THERE WITH SOME IDEAS INTO THE BEST WAY OF BREAKING IN A NEW PAIR OF BOOTS. I BOUGHT A NEW PAIR OF 4- SEASON ASOLO BOOTS WHICH ARE TAKING FOREVER TO BREAK IN AND TO BE HONEST .. DRIVING ME INSANE!!......... ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

I had a super pair of Asolos - Great fit in the shop, or so I thought. Cut the heels off me every time I tried using them, no matter what sock combination etc. Simple truth was they weren't right for my feet.

On the other hand, I can buy pretty much any Meindl boot and I won't have to even think about breaking them in, as they're the right fit for me. I'd go along with Nathan and Alun in suspecting the Asolo's aren't right for you....

Cut your losses rather than your feet and try something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

duckysauce wrote: »
    bloody italians:D how did the coast to coast go ?
    It went well, thanks. Quite a variety of different walking terrain, mainly good weather apart from one truly awful day in the Lake District (70mph winds), and some good company along the way. The only thing I'd do differently would be to not start on a Saturday .. for the first few days, when everyone was stopping more or less in the same places we started each day in a crocodile of walkers which wasn't great. Towards the end, when people had spread out a bit more and were on slightly different strategies, we sometimes didn't see a soul all day. It worked out at slightly more than the advertised 192 miles .. 204.5 if I remember correctly according to my GPS. The other thing I'd maybe do is to take one day longer and split up the horrible supposedly 34km but in reality 39km (!) flat stretch from Richmond to Ingleby Cross into two, but apart from that the distances each day were about right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Just for future reference: using all uppercase letters is considered shouting online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Just for future reference: using all uppercase letters is considered shouting online.

The boots don't fit he was screaming in pain.

How does the fit seem OP? tight, narrow, loose etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 johnny 71

Evil Phil wrote: »

sorry about that.... im just new to this... no offense intended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 johnny 71

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    I had a super pair of Asolos - Great fit in the shop, or so I thought. Cut the heels off me every time I tried using them, no matter what sock combination etc. Simple truth was they weren't right for my feet.

On the other hand, I can buy pretty much any Meindl boot and I won't have to even think about breaking them in, as they're the right fit for me. I'd go along with Nathan and Alun in suspecting the Asolo's aren't right for you....

Cut your losses rather than your feet and try something else.

could,nt agree with you more. i bought a pair of meindle boots about two years ago and they are with out question the best pair of boots ever.im disgusted with my pair of asolo boots as i paid top dollar for them... but its not the end of the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

could,nt agree with you more. i bought a pair of meindle boots about two years ago and they are with out question the best pair of boots ever.im disgusted with my pair of asolo boots as i paid top dollar for them... but its not the end of the world

Well, I can tell you now that if you had a pair of Meindls and they fitted you perfectly, the Asolo's never will. They're too rigidly built on too narrow a last for your foot, assuming the Meindls were a good fit etc.

The Asolo's are a really impressive boot - Good function, great build and top features....but they just don't fit some of us. From recollection the toe box on mine was fine, but the heel was just too close fitting at the back, and rubbed around my achiles until I had monster blisters and even a cut....

I've spoken with a few others who have had the same experience, so you're not alone. As you say, it's not the end of the world - You'll sell on the Asolo's fairly easily if you've a standard enough shoe size. Try here (adverts.ie) and might be worth mentioning it over on climbing.ie too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 kayakboy

If the boots are 4 season they likely to be rigid or semi-rigid and if this is the case they are designed to be used on rock,snow/ice and steep ground. If you are using them for a bit of Irish bog trotting they are likely to be too stiff and will kill on a long day.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Something wrong there. Shouldnt need that sort of breaking in if any at all.

Advertisement