Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raising a boundary wall

• 08-10-2009 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I want to raise my boundary wall from 2 metres to 3 metres.My house is a semi d, last in line. It is only the outside boundary wall I want to raise. The shared boundary wall with my neighbour is ok. The back wall of the garden is old brick(there used to be an orchard behind it), and its about 12 feet high. On other side of the wall in question is just a parking area for 4 cars. Because this wall is on the outside, it belongs to the co. council, so I guess I need to get planning permission from them. Has anyone else done something similar. Was permission sought/granted/refused?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

You need planning permission because the wall will be over 2m high, not because it is an outside wall.

Generally you need a very good reason to raise a wall like this, like the ground outside the wall being a lot higher than the ground inside. Even then, if the council sees this as setting an undesirable precident they will not grant it planning permission.

If however you were raising part of the wall to become a wall for a garden shed, that's a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 duracell

You need planning permission because the wall will be over 2m high, not because it is an outside wall.

Generally you need a very good reason to raise a wall like this, like the ground outside the wall being a lot higher than the ground inside. Even then, if the council sees this as setting an undesirable precident they will not grant it planning permission.

If however you were raising part of the wall to become a wall for a garden shed, that's a different matter.

My house is on a slope so the ground outside is sightly higher than on the inside.

There are a couple of houses around my estate who have done exactly what i want to do. I don't know if they got planning permission or not, but there might already be a precedent so.

During the summer months local kids do sit on the wall (they are good kids) but I do have to tell them to get down as they are looking directly into my sunroom/patio... Is this a good enough reason for the council...

Do you mean there woud be on problem raiising part of the wall for the shed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If they didn't get planning there is no precedent. If they did you are fine, but drawing attention to the fact that they didn't get planning might just result in a letter from the council for them.

The kids sitting there might be a good reason, (a suitable capping might be a planning free solution, angled not glass of course)

The comment about the garden shed in in relation to the fact that if you were to incorporate the wall into a shed, it would have to be c.3m and would not be a issue with the council, might even be exempt. However, the whole wall prob would be raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Thanks Mellor, wow it's true, you really can read minds....:D

What he said....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 duracell

Grazie signore.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement