Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gluten free eating

Options
  • 08-10-2009 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

does anyone else have a gluten intolerance? its pretty hard to find a good selection of gluten free food here in galway. i was wondering if anyone knew of some good places. all the shops i go to only have small sections with bread and stuff. ive been eating everything gluten free for the past week and feel like a million bucks. more seriously this is known as celiac's disease...fortunately mine is not that bad. i just get really tired and run down if i have anything wheat, barley or rye related.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Friend of mine has gluten intolerance. Evergreen healthfoods or healthwise in town have a lot of stuff. Dunnes too. Spelt isn't gluten free but is wheat free, sometimes people can tolerate a bit of spelt.
    Corn pasta is quite nice, and there are a bunch of organic sauces in Dunnes too that are suitable for gf diet. Other things like rice noodles, and rice cakes help with the bread pangs.
    There are often gf pizza bases too. You'd have to give the spelt thing a try to see, but if you can take it, then Dunnes often have a sliced spelt bread (it's about 3 quid tho) which is very tasty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

inisboffin wrote: »
    Friend of mine has gluten intolerance. Evergreen healthfoods or healthwise in town have a lot of stuff. Dunnes too. Spelt isn't gluten free but is wheat free, sometimes people can tolerate a bit of spelt.
    Corn pasta is quite nice, and there are a bunch of organic sauces in Dunnes too that are suitable for gf diet. Other things like rice noodles, and rice cakes help with the bread pangs.
    There are often gf pizza bases too. You'd have to give the spelt thing a try to see, but if you can take it, then Dunnes often have a sliced spelt bread (it's about 3 quid tho) which is very tasty. :)

cheers for the info. i found that dunnes and supervalu have a little area for gluten free stuff. ive had the gluten free pasta and its good...found bread, cookies, sauces, etc... the good thing is rice and corn is ok. ive tried spelt before and it tasted good, but didnt work. it made me really tired. hopefully the selection will grow over time. i think a lot of people have it but dont realize it. i wish i had money, id open up my own gluten free health store, HAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

If you're in Galway city, Griffin's bakery on SHop St do gluten-free bread, or at least used to, and it was very good quality. Have a look on the message boards of coeliac.ie, they're very helpful for people with gluten-intolerances. Tesco have a good range of g-f products, much of it is own-brand so not as expensive.

If you're in Galway city, Griffin's bakery on SHop St do gluten-free bread, or at least used to, and it was very good quality. Have a look on the message boards of coeliac.ie, they're very helpful for people with gluten-intolerances. Tesco have a good range of g-f products, much of it is own-brand so not as expensive.

sucks, im like 45-60 minutes outside galway city :( i will check that website out. thanks. and i was in tesco in roscommon and couldnt find any gluten free! i must have been looking in the wrong place. dunnes only had a tiny area with some things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

http://www.ecodirect.ie/

try that website there, some of the bread and stuff on that is nicer than the ones you will get in supermarkerts

Thats strange about Tesco, cause i find them to have the most GF stuff, well around here anyways, superquinn is also very good, altho to be fair they aint much range past biscuits and bread, but its a start, and they do , do nicer GF sausages.

• Advertisement

emo!! wrote: »
    http://www.ecodirect.ie/

try that website there, some of the bread and stuff on that is nicer than the ones you will get in supermarkerts

Thats strange about Tesco, cause i find them to have the most GF stuff, well around here anyways, superquinn is also very good, altho to be fair they aint much range past biscuits and bread, but its a start, and they do , do nicer GF sausages.

good stuff...cheers

yea, i was probably looking in the wrong place because i saw tesco's website had a whole range of gluten free stuff, which means they should sell it in the store. yea, not a big selection but at least there is pasta and bread. i bet you most people dont even know they have it! wow, GF sausages...drool. i was at the gym yesterday and smelled someone cooking a fry. it was driving me nuts! im assuming most puddings and rashers have some sort of gluten, and i know sausages do. PAIN IN THE ASS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Health food shops tend to have a lot of gf stuff. Join the coeliac society and get the food list, this will help you! Walker's crisps are gluten free (unlike pretty much all other crisps), Cadbury's Flake is also gluten free and there is other chocolate that is too - Lindt is afaik but don't quote me on that. Microwaving the bread for a few seconds tends to make it reasonably edible. You can also get gluten free sausages (Denny's), I'm told they're very nice.

Be careful of bakeries, etc that advertise gluten free food - they often are not aware of the cross-contamination issue, and therefore their food is NOT gluten free.

Fruit, rice cakes, etc are all good substitutes, and you seem to have already discovered that the pasta is nice. You can also get gluten free cornflakes and rice krispies in most supermarkets (although I have no idea about Galway).

-lala- wrote: »
    Health food shops tend to have a lot of gf stuff. Join the coeliac society and get the food list, this will help you! Walker's crisps are gluten free (unlike pretty much all other crisps), Cadbury's Flake is also gluten free and there is other chocolate that is too - Lindt is afaik but don't quote me on that. Microwaving the bread for a few seconds tends to make it reasonably edible. You can also get gluten free sausages (Denny's), I'm told they're very nice.

Be careful of bakeries, etc that advertise gluten free food - they often are not aware of the cross-contamination issue, and therefore their food is NOT gluten free.

Fruit, rice cakes, etc are all good substitutes, and you seem to have already discovered that the pasta is nice. You can also get gluten free cornflakes and rice krispies in most supermarkets (although I have no idea about Galway).

do you have a link to the coeliac society? id like to join that. interesting about walkers crisps and the cadbury. i have a piece of lindt extra creamy milk chocolate here and it has malted barley in it :( havent nuked the bread yet, but i find toasting it makes it actually pretty good. i will have to keep an eye out for the sausages.

yea, i didnt trust bakeries selling things and im pretty freaked out even trying to eat out. ill just stick to meat and potatoes with no sauce if i do. but its a matter of the chef using gluten food and utensils around non gluten.

i actually have the gluten free cornflakes right now. i got plain ones and canadian maple syrup. they are a lot nicer than i expected. i got GF chocolate digestives last week....SO GOOD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

do you have a link to the coeliac society? id like to join that. interesting about walkers crisps and the cadbury. i have a piece of lindt extra creamy milk chocolate here and it has malted barley in it :( havent nuked the bread yet, but i find toasting it makes it actually pretty good. i will have to keep an eye out for the sausages.

yea, i didnt trust bakeries selling things and im pretty freaked out even trying to eat out. ill just stick to meat and potatoes with no sauce if i do. but its a matter of the chef using gluten food and utensils around non gluten.

i actually have the gluten free cornflakes right now. i got plain ones and canadian maple syrup. they are a lot nicer than i expected. i got GF chocolate digestives last week....SO GOOD

http://www.coeliac.ie/

I am 99% sure there is some kind of gluten free lindt out there! Good luck with it all anyway, you will find nice things you can eat!

Also, if you ever travel, Italy is very good at catering for coeliacs, they all know what coeliac disease is and what gluten is in and will generally have gf pasta and pizza bases. A lot of places in Germany have gf pasta as well. Ireland and the UK are unfortunately not so good.

Also, don't know if there are any in Galway, but Haagen-dazs has a lot of gluten-free flavours, and their staff will always be able to tell you which ones are and aren't.

-lala- wrote: »
    http://www.coeliac.ie/

I am 99% sure there is some kind of gluten free lindt out there! Good luck with it all anyway, you will find nice things you can eat!

Also, if you ever travel, Italy is very good at catering for coeliacs, they all know what coeliac disease is and what gluten is in and will generally have gf pasta and pizza bases. A lot of places in Germany have gf pasta as well. Ireland and the UK are unfortunately not so good.

Also, don't know if there are any in Galway, but Haagen-dazs has a lot of gluten-free flavours, and their staff will always be able to tell you which ones are and aren't.

im sure there is. probably just not the one i have. i would assume a lot of chocolate would be

good to know abuot italy. im sure it will grow more here in the future, but probably more UK than ireland.

i know we have haagen daz at the supermarket. ill check it out next time. i think ice cream is one of the few desserts you can have. thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I'm a coeliac.

I've tried lots of varieties of bread over the years, ( was diagnosed when I was 3 months) and I always stick to the one. Juvella bread. I get mine in the chemists believe it or not, so maybe you should try there.

With regard to pastas, I think Tesco do a gluten-free range. Their pastas are nice IMO.They're usually in a purple packet.

Also as has been mentioned, health food shops have a lot of gluten free products so you should try there too. If you join the coeliac society , you can get a book that lists all the foods that are gluten free so if you're unsure about certain things like sauces from shops like Dunnes. There are also things like pizza bases, so you can make your own pizzas if you like them.

Good Luck with your coeliac diet. Unfortuneately I haven't been sticking to mine 100% rigidly for a while, and I'm paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nahboisk

tesco does quite a good range if there is one near you? the bigger the store do the better the range also dunnes not has a great pasta in green bags and new bread called genius which i found in edinburgh and brought back with me haha and it followed!!

check with ur local pharmacy as on the dps scheme if your doctor prescribes it u can get bread but my chemist was great i got lasagne sheets cookies pasta bread and suff its worth asking!! good luck

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement