Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expecting guests to pay for meal at wedding??

Options
  • 08-10-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

A girl i know is getting married , I am getting married a couple of months before her. We were discussing our wedding plans and i happened to mention about the meal, she told me that her and her partner are not paying for the meal, that the guests will be paying for themselves:eek: I have never ever heard the likes of it. And she was deadly serious, also she is getting married in a hotel in the country so obviously ppl will have to stay over in the hotel. and she is expecting presents too. I know there is a recession on but come on, she wont live that down for the rest of her life, come to my wedding but pay for your own meal and loads of presents welcome. Has anyone ever heard anything like this before:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

A girl i know is getting married , I am getting married a couple of months before her. We were discussing our wedding plans and i happened to mention about the meal, she told me that her and her partner are not paying for the meal, that the guests will be paying for themselves:eek: I have never ever heard the likes of it. And she was deadly serious, also she is getting married in a hotel in the country so obviously ppl will have to stay over in the hotel. and she is expecting presents too. I know there is a recession on but come on, she wont live that down for the rest of her life, come to my wedding but pay for your only meal and loads of presents welcome. Has anyone ever heard anything like this before:confused::confused:

do they get the option of just going to McDonalds on the way to the hotel?
    She would be better doing a simple buffet to save money than expecting
    people to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mandalicious

your right, buffet is much better than the embarrassment of asking people to pay. Instead of wedding favours they will prob have plastic cup at everyones table 'donations for honeymoon'. They are not poor, they both work and are landlords too so money isnt that short. I'm just in shock of the whole thing, someone should pull her to one side and say something without offending her.?? But then 100 guests would probably be offended asking to pay for their own meal??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Are you sure she didn't meant that the cash presents she obviously expects to get from everyone is probably going to be at least the cost of a meal?

You could be right, but that's not what i got from her expression and tone of voice when she said it. My face dropped, i repeated back to her what she said , and she said ''OH NO everyone will be paying for their own meal''.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You could be right, but that's not what i got from her expression and tone of voice when she said it. My face dropped, i repeated back to her what she said , and she said ''OH NO everyone will be paying for their own meal''.

If that really is the case then the girl has no manners whatsoever. I certainly wouldn't attend a wedding if I had to pay for my own meal. I've never heard of such a thing before. In fact I wouldn't waste the price of a card and stamp rsvp-ing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

If that really is the case then the girl has no manners whatsoever. I certainly wouldn't attend a wedding if I had to pay for my own meal. I've never heard of such a thing before. In fact I wouldn't waste the price of a card and stamp rsvp-ing.

Assuming the girl has actually made this clear to all her guests, and not just the OP, BEFORE they attend!

I've never heard of it in the traditional "white dress-church-hotel-speeches-band-DJ" kind of wedding.

If someone makes it clear that food won't be provided and they are being invited to attend the service and drinks, or whatever happens after, that's fine.

If she has organised the meals and just expects people to stump up individually on the day, she might be disappointed with the responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Malari wrote: »
    If she has organised the meals and just expects people to stump up individually on the day, she might be disappointed with the responses!

More than dissapointed, she will have to pay hotel before and I can't imagine most people would pay.

I have never heard of anything like this, I'd be interested if you could update this OP when the invites go out and that, how she plans teling all her guests

yeah it is a white wedding-church-hotel-band etc
    its a full sit down meal, so even if she does tell ppl in advance that they have to pay for their meal, you can hardly attend and say i wont be paying for my meal so i'll just sit here and watch everyone else eat
    BTW, I'm invited to this full wedding, i dont think i will go, out of principle:mad: unless when i bring her to my wedding in a couple of months ill as her for the money for the meal as she comes into the reception:D:rolleyes: lol

I know wat ya mean , i had to pay 1k deposit to the hotel im having my reception in, and then another 1k 6 months before my wedding, and the final amount has to be paid, i think its 3 weeks in advance. So the meal is well paid for in advance. That means the ppl would owe her the money rather then the hotel, is she gonna show herself up on the day by saying to everyone after the meal, okay 60 quid each please...lol

I'll keep ya's posted;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I know wat ya mean , i had to pay 1k deposit to the hotel im having my reception in, and then another 1k 6 months before my wedding, and the final amount has to be paid, i think its 3 weeks in advance. So the meal is well paid for in advance. That means the ppl would owe her the money rather then the hotel, is she gonna show herself up on the day by saying to everyone after the meal, okay 60 quid each please...lol

I'll keep ya's posted;)

Please do, can't wait to hear the outcome of this one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,982 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I heard of a wedding before where the couple couldn't afford the wedding they wanted. They asked the guests to pay for the meal and some other stuff but not for any presents, which is fair.
    yeah it is a white wedding-church-hotel-band etc
    its a full sit down meal, so even if she does tell ppl in advance that they have to pay for their meal, you can hardly attend and say i wont be paying for my meal so i'll just sit here and watch everyone else eat
    BTW, I'm invited to this full wedding, i dont think i will go, out of principle:mad: unless when i bring her to my wedding in a couple of months ill as her for the money for the meal as she comes into the reception:D:rolleyes: lol

Does it say anywhere on the invitation that she'll be looking for money? Unless it is I would love to see the bride in her wedding dress hitting up the guests for their lunch money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I have never heard of anyone doing such a thing! You don't invite people to your wedding and expect them to pay for their meal, its just not acceptable.

I'm really curious as to how she is going to implement it. Please do keep us up to date.

Well that would be fair enough to pay for your own meal, but to give a present aswell, thats a bit much. I'm dying to know myself how she expects that to work, (does she go round each table with her hand out), i am gonna bring up the topic to her again when i see her next, and if it is the case then i think I'll arrange to be 'busy' on her wedding day, she will probably end up with no guests at the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A girl i know is getting married , I am getting married a couple of months before her. We were discussing our wedding plans and i happened to mention about the meal, she told me that her and her partner are not paying for the meal, that the guests will be paying for themselves
    Was at a wedding like this. Dinner worked out at about €15-€25 each, as it was a set menu: starter, main, and dessert. People were aware of this coming to the wedding. People knew how much to pay, and paid per table. Most of them also stayed at the hotel, but were given a discount due to the number staying, and that the afters were done in the hotel.

The wedding is their day out, and not a financial burden that they must dread, and pay off for the next while. Due to the recession, not as many banks will lend money so easily, so it may not be out of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mary D

That is so mean, why is she bothering having a reception at all if she's not willing to pay for it. Why doesn't she just get married and go a meal with her new husband or else do what lots of other people do, go away and get married which would be cheaper than a reception here.

I wouldn't go to a wedding if I had to pay for my own meal. Probably what most people will do is say they can't make the meal but can turn up for drinks in the evening. People can't afford to buy clothes for a wedding, a gift for the couple, spending money for the day and the cost of staying over never mind paying for their own meal. You'd think one the the bride's or groom's family to tell them to cop on.

the_syco wrote: »
    so it may not be out of choice.

Of course its out of choice, if they wanted they could get married for a couple of hundred euro. They choose where to go, how many guests, everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mary D wrote: »
    That is so mean, why is she bothering having a reception at all if she's not willing to pay for it. Why doesn't she just get married and go a meal with her new husband or else do what lots of other people do, go away and get married which would be cheaper than a reception here.
    Don't want to pay? Don't go. It'll make it cheaper for the bride and groom.
    cruizer101 wrote: »
    Of course its out of choice, if they wanted they could get married for a couple of hundred euro. They choose where to go, how many guests, everything.
    That's fairly niave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

The wedding is their day out, and not a financial burden that they must dread, and pay off for the next while. Due to the recession, not as many banks will lend money so easily, so it may not be out of choice.
    If it's a financial burden, then it's one of their own making. There is no obligation on them to have a big white wedding. Pressure from family or peers is not an excuse for making a poor financial decision.

As for blaming stricter lending policies for a couple's inability to borrow money to throw a party, well it's hardly a smart idea even in boom times. Nobody is automatically entitled to a celebrity-style white wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Now that is shocking OP. Surely they could do buffet food or something. Sounds like they are just tight and like having things handed to them have their cake and eat it as it were. Have a lovely wedding but keep their communion money nice and safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Was at a wedding like this. Dinner worked out at about €15-€25 each, as it was a set menu: starter, main, and dessert. People were aware of this coming to the wedding. People knew how much to pay, and paid per table. Most of them also stayed at the hotel, but were given a discount due to the number staying, and that the afters were done in the hotel.

if they cnt afford it dont get married simple as. very rude to ask people to travel down country and pay for their meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Ok so I'm with you up to here, and then you say..
    People can't afford to buy clothes for a wedding, a gift for the couple, spending money for the day and the cost of staying over never mind paying for their own meal..

Why, do people need to buy new clothes for a wedding? :confused: Or spend a lot of money on gifts, going away etc. The guests have the same abilities as the bride and groom, cut costs, stay away etc.

IMO, if you insist on having your BIG day, white dress, lavish reception in hotel function room etc etc then you should have the money to pay for it.

I think it's the height of absurdity and rudeness to want the big wedding with all the trimmings but expect your guests to pay for it.

I can categorically say I wouldn't attend a wedding if by attending I'm expected to fund it and to provide a present too.

OP, you'll have to find out if this girl is really expecting guests to pay for their dinner and let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

she's not from Cavan by any chance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Flowertot

i know a couple who did this, they payed for immediate family and the wedding party but anyone else who wanted to share their day with them had to pay for their own meal.

Their logic was that instead of choosing who gets to go to the full day or just the evening reception was taken out of their hands and they wouldn't offend anyone by leaving it up to their friends who wanted to go to the full day (and pay fo themselves)
    However they didn't expect gifts either

That's fairly niave.

How?

Are you you saying that two people could not legally get married for under a grand. Everything else is optional extras on which the couple can decide how much or how little to spend on.

While hotel receptions may be the norm it is not obligitory.

Its as simple as you get what you pay for, and if you can't pay for it don't get it.

Now don't get me wrong I'm all for a fancy hotel reception and would hope to have one when I get married, but at the end of the day there are limits based on how much money one has, and the OP's friend is instead basing limits on her money as well as that of her guests, which in my opinion is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Then you don't have a wedding you can't afford simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Isn't etiquette nowadays to calculate how much you reckon the meal might be and pay for yerself and guest when giving a cash gift? Like mostly a meal is 55 plus whatever drink, so you give about 150-200? Maybe, she's talking like that, not asking for it but assuming kind of thing? Unless of course she's writing it on the invites- well that'd be rude.

Isn't etiquette nowadays to calculate how much you reckon the meal might be and pay for yerself and guest when giving a cash gift? Like mostly a meal is 55 plus whatever drink, so you give about 150-200? Maybe, she's talking like that, not asking for it but assuming kind of thing? Unless of course she's writing it on the invites- well that'd be rude.
    I don't think it's etiquette per se but I think as it's become customary to have a lavish wedding that you can't afford the bride and groom expect to pay for their bash through the cash presents they receive from guests.

IMO if you can't afford your 40k big day out then you should cut your cloth according to your measure as my mother would say. I've read threads on some websites where people ask if it's ok to put their bank details on their wedding invites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

If you cant afford a hotel wedding reception paying for band, DJ and all the other costs that go with it then dont get your mates to sponsor the wedding, do it on the cheap.

EG simple wedding at church then hire out a restaurant somewhere with no DJ etc and just close friends and family.

These people obviously want a big wedding for themselves and either cant or dont want to pay for it.

I am sure amongst the guests there will be friends of hers who are getting married. Will she expect to get a free ride at their wedding?

Advertisement