Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

air rifle guidelines

Options
  • 08-10-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

is their any guidelines for air rifles do you have to be a member of a target club to to get the licence or can you use them on your own land for targets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Same as any other rifle licence - if you're shooting targets with them, you need to be on an approved range; if you're hunting with them, you don't. There are more limitations with air rifles for hunting though - you're basicly talking about rats to rabbits and nothing more (and no birds of any kind) as I understand it, but I'm not that up to speed with the details of the Wildlife Acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Sparks wrote: »
    Same as any other rifle licence - if you're shooting targets with them, you need to be on an approved range; if you're hunting with them, you don't. There are more limitations with air rifles for hunting though - you're basicly talking about rats to rabbits and nothing more (and no birds of any kind) as I understand it, but I'm not that up to speed with the details of the Wildlife Acts.

I have been struggling with this myself as I got my this year for mostly target, however, from what I have read and from speaking to my FO your spot on. Rats, rabbits and hares are fine according to himself, but I have read different opition on hares here as I'm not 100% sure on the last, but yep pigeons and anyother bird are out. So I will just be going with the hunting opition when its time for my renewal.

Advertisement