Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

money in america

• 08-10-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all

Heading the states next month and was wondering what is the best option for bringing money. I dont have a credit card so it really only leaves the options of

cash ( very risky imop )
    traveler cheques ( if such a thing is still around )
    ATM card

Just looking for some advise from people that have been in the states about chages and stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Try your absolute best to get a credit card, they make currency changes etc so much easier and plus the Americans are huge into plastic - you can swipe for almost anything over there. I swiped for a 75c can of coke over there once. :D

If you can't get a credit card; make sure your atm card is maestro/cirrus enabled which will allow you to withdraw from US atm's. Banks charge a fortune for withdrawing this way - as much as €5 per transaction iirc - so when you withdraw, make sure its enough to do for a few days, i.e. don't be taking out 20s here and there. Carry cash with you over there, no bigger than 20s in denomination as some shops won't take 50s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭zodiak

im only back from the states.. credit card mate is the way to go.. i carried cash a credit card and my bank card and kept the 3 seperate for the holiday.. ask your bank to see what the charges for withdrawing are but stay away from using your laser card to pay for stuff.. withdraw the money from the atm only use your credit card to pay over the counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Personally I always carry cash for pretty large amounts most of the time when over there and never once had an issue. Don't know where the comment about shops don't accept 50's has come from -never once had a problem and I lived in the country for 5 years. The charges for your maestro won't be astronomical but you'll lose a few bob on it. Try the poker forum on here for anyone who has $$, should be a few who will be willing to trade with you at spot rate usually whatever Xe.com are offering. THis way you will save quite a lot a money and believe me carrying cash in no issue, %99 you won't be mugged without cash right so why believe you will just cause you are carrying it? No one else is aware you are carrying. I know the risk factor is far greater and all that but carrying cash isn't an issue. If you are drunk one night go to the atm and forget your pin which will all know is easily done, if you misplace your card etc you are rightly f**ked. If you wish to carry in over $10,000 you need to make this clear with homeland security and in most cases you need to sign for it, you can carry any amount you want in but for sums over $10,000 you need to make it known cause failure to do so can result in your funds being withheld from you and in a lot of cases taken away without return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just my experience that most shops are very reluctant to take $50 or $100. I was refused a good few times on policy grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

cson wrote: »
    Just my experience that most shops are very reluctant to take $50 or $100. I was refused a good few times on policy grounds.

I was surprised to be able to use a $100 in burger king. Seems the chains don't have an issue them ,but independent shops might.

Op,

Check the hotel don't need a credit card, hotels in states normally do , even if you are prepaid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I suppose you wouldn't want to draw too much attention to yourself with your $50 and $100 bills, just be careful. :) Travellers cheques are still used in majority of places just for your information.

Advertisement