Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an Australian version of Komplett

Options
  • 08-10-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Has anyone had good experiences with any Aussie *e*tailers?
    All the stores here - Harvey Normans, JB Hifi etc seem to have a **** range & totally overcharge & when you factor in a $15-20 postage charge, the online stores aren't that much better.
    Some of this stuff is working out 3 times that of Kompletts prices?!
    and Aussie GST/VAT is half that of Irelands O_o

I wanna buy a gaming mouse;
    thinking of Logitech MX518, G5 or G9x

This G9x was up @ $110 an hour ago, they obviously made a mistake cause it's listed for $150 now and I don't fancy paying that much for a mouse..
    http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/mwaveAU/productdetail.asp?CartID=mAU@BLQRXFBUWJN16YLDDCF59FQ88JDE8P9UTH9NHBKRFF66PU&sku=24030553

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I use this
    http://staticice.com.au/

I have some more booked marked and when I get home I can post them
    don't use it too often

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

Thx hussey, using that I found one place online doing an Logitech MX518 for $45 inc postage, 1-5days, who knows, in the CBD they want $79 though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

MSY are cheap for computer gear.

There website is pretty **** :)

http://www.msy.com.au/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Contrary to backpacker folklore, Australia is not cheap. In fact most of the things I've been told about Australia were folklore and wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Confab wrote: »
    Contrary to backpacker folklore, Australia is not cheap. In fact most of the things I've been told about Australia were folklore and wishful thinking.

Compared to Ireland I find it pretty cheap ... I always have plenty of money in my pocket here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

MSY are cheap for computer gear.

There website is pretty **** :)

http://www.msy.com.au/

I had come across that site and closed the tab/window after 2-3 seconds, was too messy to look at & it made brain hurt, but on further investigation their prices aren't so bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

UMart.com.au is quite good. I haven't had to return anything yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Compared to Ireland I find it pretty cheap ... I always have plenty of money in my pocket here.

whoring yourself around kings cross doesnt count for extra pocket money! ;)

When i got here i was going through about a grand a week! then i settled down and if i wanted to could live on dole money (not including rent), in fact i do live pretty cheap at the moment.

OP, some of the big shops are total rip-offs over here. I spent 30 dollars on an S-Video cable with the audio connectors. Went a few shops up to the pound shop and saw it there for under a fiver! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Things like rent, property and groceries are cheap. When you factor in the exchange rate between AU$ and the euro. I mean I can get a decent loaf of bread and 2 litres of milk for just over two euro.

When it comes to consumer electronics and clothes though, hooo boy. I shop for that stuff exclusively on the internet. They're pretty liberal with their retail markup here. I think its because the Aussies don't mind paying a bit more for things they think are worth it. Us Irish however know better and kick up a stink if something rises in price by ten cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Things like rent, property and groceries are cheap. When you factor in the exchange rate between AU$ and the euro. I mean I can get a decent loaf of bread and 2 litres of milk for just over two euro.

When it comes to consumer electronics and clothes though, hooo boy. I shop for that stuff exclusively on the internet. They're pretty liberal with their retail markup here. I think its because the Aussies don't mind paying a bit more for things they think are worth it. Us Irish however know better and kick up a stink if something rises in price by ten cent.

Where do you shop for milk and bread? - I go to woolworths and 2litre milk is like 2.70 (woolies brand) and $4 for non woolworths brand

and bread is $3.50-5 a loaf (bakers delight / helgas / tip top) or can buy the homebrand for $1.10 (which is really crap)

now 2euro is $3.25, it costs me $6.70 around 4euro, double your estimate

and Irish never kick up a stink over anything, they kick up a stink at home and to their mates but never in a shop, in my view.

You can get cheap enough clothes here, in JayJays, Jeans scene Kmart etc, I usually get casual t-shirts from there, pretty cheap $10-$20

• Advertisement
Advertisement