Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Holga at a gig?

• 08-10-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭

I just bought a Holga 120n online. And I'm considering taking it to a gig next week. Just to see how the pictures turn out. How would it handle the low light? Would it be worth my while?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Two ways of going about it, assuming it's a dark gig.

Pop in some 3200 speed film, and push it to 6400, or use it on bulb mode, and hold a flash, open the shutter, pop the flash, close the shutter...

Unless your flash is built in, but even then, I prefer holding one and popping it off when I want.

Don't expect anything amazing, and be happy if you get anything amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Ditto Fajitas on the high speed film. I planned on using my holga 120 a few weeks back at a gig to see how it turned out. I bought some ilford Delta 3200 for it and was going to over process the b&w film to push it to 6400 or 12,800 (which I've done with 35mm delta 3200 beforr with some good results). With the holga you've got a fixed aperture of f/8 or f/11 and a shutter speed of about 1/100 or 1/125th of a second (I do with mine at least) so once your sort of focused wait for the lighting to kick in if any and release the shutter.
    If you time it righ, use the right film and push it a little in processing you could come away with some good shots.

Like Fajitas said, don't expect too much and if you do get something it will be worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

not worth it imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

No point in not trying, I got some nice shots of Natty Wailer a while back with a Diana, 100 speed slide film that was about 10 years old and a handheld flash.

Worst that happens is you get back a blank film, and at least you've tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

thinking of getting back into this as my dslr got stolen again

is she just using external flash?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/psychic_heart/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i shot the arcade fire in a big venue with a great lighting system with a holga but got nothing with 800iso film. 3200iso film would probably get you something approaching a useable exposure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

not worth it imo

It's always worth a try. I plan on doing exactly this with the rangefinder at some of the HWCH gigs. Bit more fiddle room, granted, but still :D

sineadw wrote: »
    It's always worth a try. I plan on doing exactly this with the rangefinder at some of the HWCH gigs. Bit more fiddle room, granted, but still :D

well it could be expensive, maybe 20euro for 120 b&w film and development, and the possibility of no decent results.

Is your rangefinder holga/lomo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

well it could be expensive, maybe 20euro for 120 b&w film and development, and the possibility of no decent results.

Is your rangefinder holga/lomo?

I don't think there is any lomo rangefinders. The holga certainly isn't one. In fairness one of those 70s/80s compact rangefinders (which is what sinead has IIRC) has an excellent chance of getting good shots. Particularly if they've got an f/2.8 lens or faster. Load it up with 3200 and snap away. There are yashica rangefinders that have great 1.4 and 1.7 lenses aswell.

I don't think there is any lomo rangefinders. The holga certainly isn't one. In fairness one of those 70s/80s compact rangefinders (which is what sinead has IIRC) has an excellent chance of getting good shots. Particularly if they've got an f/2.8 lens or faster. Load it up with 3200 and snap away. There are yashica rangefinders that have great 1.4 and 1.7 lenses aswell.

I think rangefinders would be great at a gig, but not an f8 cheapo lens

I dont think yashica have a f1.4 rangefinder, I think f1.7 and f1.9 is their widest rangefinder fixed lens aperture

• Advertisement

Im hoping to get an olympus xa rangefinder when i have spare cash to carry with me everywhere and use at some gigs, Ill be using iso1600 b&w film pushed to 3200

Im hoping to get an olympus xa rangefinder when i have spare cash to carry with me everywhere and use at some gigs, Ill be using iso1600 b&w film pushed to 3200

Yashica lynx 14 :-) (in response to a previous post). I spent ages looking at rangefinders before deciding not to get one cos I probably wouldn't use it ... And then buying an XA regardless. It's a nice little camera. Don't know that it'd be suitanble for gigs though. No manual override at all is possible, and the asa can only be set as high as 800. I ended up using mine as a daytime carry around camera, I don't think its any real use as a low light available light camera.

Yashica lynx 14 :-) (in response to a previous post). I spent ages looking at rangefinders before deciding not to get one cos I probably wouldn't use it ... And then buying an XA regardless. It's a nice little camera. Don't know that it'd be suitanble for gigs though. No manual override at all is possible, and the asa can only be set as high as 800. I ended up using mine as a daytime carry around camera, I don't think its any real use as a low light available light camera.

you can bump the iso by 1.5 stops with the flash compensation button, so I'd prob only get iso 2400 if Im understanding it properly

you can bump the iso by 1.5 stops with the flash compensation button, so I'd prob only get iso 2400 if Im understanding it properly

Nope, not tha XA anyway. There's a backlight compensation that compensates by 1.5 stops but in the wrong direction :-) It'll overexpose by 1.5 stops, so effectively reducing your iso by that amount.

Nope, not tha XA anyway. There's a backlight compensation that compensates by 1.5 stops but in the wrong direction :-) It'll overexpose by 1.5 stops, so effectively reducing your iso by that amount.

Ive been reading about too much camera stuff lately, information overload!
    Ill still prob get it for an every day camera so I can use up all the film stock I have. my pentax slr is small enough but still a bit bulky to carry ALL the time.

Ive been reading about too much camera stuff lately, information overload!
    Ill still prob get it for an every day camera so I can use up all the film stock I have. my pentax slr is small enough but still a bit bulky to carry ALL the time.

Yeah it is a sweet little carry around. Slide open the cover and its good to go. Two more caveats though ... The rangefinder patch is usable but can be pretty awkward to see so speedy focusing can be problematical. Secondly the lens really isn't all that great at 2.8. I normally leave mine pre-focused at 3 metres, and the aperture set to 5.6 which is apparently its sweet spot. Most shots then become almost point and click, with maybe some quick focusing, secure in the knowledge that the aperture will cover up any focusing error. I've gotten some nice shots that way. Tagged on my flickr stream if you're interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭I Saw Silence

My holga doesn't have a built-in flash. So I'm presuming it would be pointless. Might get some 3200 film and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I plan on processing myself, so I only pay for the film. Not too expensive at all :D Oh and its a Fed 2 rangefinder I have, and a slightly dodgy Canonet 1.9...

I also have this yoke though

i133-1.jpg

that I picked up for a fiver in Paris a few weeks ago - if I can figure out how to reload the cartridges with 35mm then I'm good to go. F11 at either 1/40 or 1/80 so will be pushing the living daylights out of everything :pac:

Advertisement