Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connected to router but not to the internet!

Options
  • 08-10-2009 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have an emachines laptop running vista and i am connected to my router with full strength. Although i am connected to the router my laptop tells me i am not connected to the internet. It is nothing to do with the eircom netopia router as my desktop and iphone are using the internet as normal. Has anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I have an emachines laptop running vista and i am connected to my router with full strength. Although i am connected to the router my laptop tells me i am not connected to the internet. It is nothing to do with the eircom netopia router as my desktop and iphone are using the internet as normal. Has anyone any ideas?

Let's start with the bog standard stuff.

Assume you are connecting view WIFI?
    Assume you are using DHCP and not assigned static IP Address?
    In a Command Prompt Windows [Start -> Run -> cmd -> OK] type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and press enter.
    Whet is your IP Address?
    Are there values for your gateway and DNS entries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭padolicious

IP is 192.254.28.71
    default gateway is blank
    dns servers fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

IP is 192.254.**.**
    default gateway is blank

Don't be afraid to show the full internal ip address. There is no security breech there.

You're IP setup on the device is all wrong. If it's a bog standard eircom router with no major configuration changes, your ip address should be something like 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x and for the gateway, the x will be a 1 or 254.

I don't have much time at the moment but that is something to look at. Maybe someone else can chime in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

IP is 192.254.28.71
    default gateway is blank
    Your connection is currently limited (happens when the PC doesn't detect an IP address from the router because of an incorrect wireless password, poor wireless signal or a corrupt wireless profile). First things first, restart your computer fully please.

I have restarted the laptop several times already. I have also entered the correct password many times and i have full signal strength

• Advertisement

I have restarted the laptop several times already. I have also entered the correct password many times and i have full signal strength
    Does it say Successfully Connected when you connect to the wireless network?

Yes but when i try to browse use the internet it says im not connected.

Yes but when i try to browse use the internet it says im not connected.
    Can you try visit this page? http://192.168.1.254/

I have tried and i cant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

do a start/run type cmd then type ipconfig /all
    and post the contents

should look like the below don't worry about your IP it's only the internal Ip not the external IP assigned to your router by your ISP.

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 07, 2009 10:02:39 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, October 05, 2018 10:02:38 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :192.168.1.100
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Also right click the network connection bottom right hand corner hit open network and sharing center

Underneath your network name it will say either home / public / work
    what is this set to at the moment?

Is it saying unidentified?
    If its public change it to home network

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

IP is 192.254.28.71
    default gateway is blank

Your dns spells 'fec off'-could someone have hacked in perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

If your phone and desktop are working you are most likely using dhcp on your router. I am guessing the laptop isn't using dhcp! Change it to use dhcp and you should be good to go!

How do i change it to use DHCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Just a thought: If your router is the same as mine, it might be connected to the phone line via a splitter filter (not sure of the technical term). This has an input port for your phone line and two outputs: one for your internet DSL going to the router, and another to allow a landline to be plugged in.

Basically, if you have the internet wire in the phone port, you'll get very slow internet speeds or no internet at all. It's the kind of thing you miss easily if you have a phone connected as well, as I learned after two hours of this craic yesterday.

The laptop is using dhcp but its still telling me i have a limited or no ineternet connection

Advertisement