Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Food Gone "All Foreign"??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Most pubs will sell whatever is going to make them money & keep them in business. They will cater to their customers' needs & preferences, & market their wares accordingly.

Just more of Myers' usual carry-on for the Indo to sell papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ih8northsiders

What is Myers talking about and what difference does it make if the language is French, English Germany or Esperanto, its(English) a foreign language for this country anyway. I would say much of the food culture(????) we see today is a knock on effect of British dominance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Kevin Myers is a pure boll*xologist sh*t stirring unpleasant racist geebag of a man. Except I'm not sure he's so much a racist as willing to peddle himself as one in order to sell papers (and end up getting big claps on the back from the BNP) Everything he says is wrong, EVERYTHING!!!

We're so much better off now that (foodwise) we're a crap crossover of Barcelona & Seville. Irish food can be some of the loveliest going, but one anyone seriously want to live off it exclusively with no outside influences whatsoever?

What's he boll*cking on about though? Soup & sambos still standard fare in most pubs I've been in this year. (although hur hur hur at the 'homemade', my hole was the soup in most Dublin pubs 'homemade'. Unless you count whisking the powder from your packet of Knorr Farmhouse veg through a pot of water as home-makery). Also, I had a vienna roll rasher sambo last week. It was the business

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

a great food culture comes from great contamination between cultures

It would be great if food in Dublin were like the one in Seattle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

a great food culture comes from great contamination between cultures
    I don't think that contamination is the best word to be used in a culinary context.
    Mixing, Fusion etc but contamination brings to mind a whole other issue.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It would be great if food in Dublin were like the one in Seattle
    Agreed .. if only we had something like Pike Market in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I don't think that contamination is the best word to be used in a culinary context.
    Mixing, Fusion etc but contamination brings to mind a whole other issue.;)

aahah you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've no problem with foreign food influencing Irish food but not when the baby is thrown out with the bathwater, so to speak.

I have to agree with Myers on the Pannini, and petit pan thing - as served in Ireland they're just sh1te bread (or sh1te squashed bread in the case of the pannini) and usually filled with sh1te ingredients and served with sh1te pringle fake crisps.

I welcome the availability of good coffee in this country but just cause you serve cappuccinos and lattes does not mean that you serve good coffee. Most coffee here is terrible because the staff aren't trained how to make it properly and/or they use cheap, rubbish beans. And staff, if someone asks for a 'coffee' they want an americano, ok?

Basically, it comes down to quality. If it's crap then making it 'exotic' just makes it exotic crap!

The Long Valley in Cork still does a cracking doorstep, freshly made sambo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Most pubs I go into do a normal sangwich and toasties. I do prefer a nice wrap sometimes, so I welcome variety. As far as coffee, filter is the devil, espresso and other choices are great. Order yourself an Americano, Myers and STFU, you xenophobic git.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

WindSock wrote: »
    Most pubs I go into do a normal sangwich and toasties. I do prefer a nice wrap sometimes, so I welcome variety. As far as coffee, filter is the devil, espresso and other choices are great. Order yourself an Americano, Myers and STFU, you xenophobic git.

But by 'normal' do you mean cheap, crap sliced bread, plastic ham and rubber cheese?
    Espresso can be worse than filter coffee if it's not well made with good beans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

But by 'normal' do you mean cheap, crap sliced bread, plastic ham and rubber cheese?
    Espresso can be worse than filter coffee if it's not well made with good beans.

No. I mean a good hearty sandwich with garnishing on the side. I agree badly made espresso can be awful. But meh, I don't generally go to pubs for coffee and a sandwich. I would rather fish and chips or a stew and a pint. Himself likes the sangers.

Advertisement