Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility Bill Payments

Options
  • 08-10-2009 4:13pm
    Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭

I have a tenant living in my house, while I am abroard. She is leaving in a few weeks. How do I ensure the utility bills are paid, up to the day she leaves. Can I withhold a portion of her deposit till I get a confirmation she has paid the bills? If she doesn't pay any outstanding bills, are the charges held against the property (me), or the tenant who lived there while running up the bill (her).

Any replies much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Withholding the deposit until the final bill arrives is often the done thing. It can be a bone of contention, especially if the bill isn't due to arrive for a number of weeks after the tenant has left. Alternative thing to do is find out what the average bill is, agree that with the tenant and then subtract that from the desposit.
    It's a gamble for both people, but you won't be left massively out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

ESB/GAS outstanding debt follows the person who holds the bill in their name. This is why they get a300 or 400 deposit now when a tenant moves in and does not sign up for derict debit.
    I have had tenants leave and not pay bills, called ESB/GAS and they say its no concern of mine and to change it into my name now or new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

If the tenant rings on their last day with a meter reading they will send out a final bill pretty much straight away. Sometimes a landlord has done that reading with me so we both know where we stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you have someone that can call around on the last day to collect the keys and take meter readings?

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

I have someone who will get the keys off the woman on her last day in the house. He will be checking the house out for me. I can get a meter reading done then, but it's the payment for the bill up to this reading that I am concerned about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement