Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I grow jalapeno peppers in Ireland with no extra heat?

Options
  • 08-10-2009 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭

Could I grow jalapeno peppers in Ireland in just my garden and the sunlight without a greenhouse or uv light or anything? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Right now? NO.
    In the summer? Unlikely
    Peppers and Chilli plants need heat to do well.
    Inside or in a Glasshouse/Cloche/Polytunnel are the best bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ah right, that's what I would have thought. A friend of mine said he is growing regular peppers(yellow and red) in his garden with nothing extra, which I thought was strange. Thanks anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my mother managed to get several green chilli peppers off a plant in her back garden - it's a sheltered back garden, but there was no glass cover. not bad, given the summer we've just not had.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats good going, Having a sheltered back garden with a good aspect can accomplish a lot, look at the Victorian walled gardens to see how it can be accomplished.
    I haven't grown any chilli's or peppers this year, My baby toms did well and I was over run with courgettes this year, Several turned to marrows before I could turn around!
    Next year I am putting in a 14ft x 40ft Polytunnel and growing whatever I want.
    Friends have a tunnel and got 52 good sized Butternut squash off a plant!
    Left to it's own devices the tunnel produced massive quantities of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SoldOut

I grew 2 jalapeno plants outside this year with no protection and to my surprise they did really well. Each plant had approx 15 peppers on it, just finished the last of them this week, some of them ripened fully too. They were at the south facing front of the house but there is little or no shelter there. Sometimes it gets really windy as its not that far from the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i got a decent crop of green and yellow peppers this year in the greenhouse, even with the crap ass weather. Chillis weren't so prolific, I think i got 3 chillis from 2 plants. Might not bother next year at all, though they were cheap and easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I have 3 jalapeno plants (indoors) that are producing fruit at the moment but also still flowering. Should I be starting to pinch off new shoots, or is that something I should have done ages ago/don't need to do at all? I'm totally flying blind here - literally bought the seeds from Aldi, planted them not expecting much and am a bit blown away by the fact that they're actually producing peppers now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Hangsangwich

a good way of producing extra heat necessary for plants like jalapenos is to make a hotbed. This is basically a bed of fresh rich organic matter such as horsedung. Enclose this in bricks to keep in the heat. Place the plant directly over this or use a wire mesh between the hotbed and the plant.
    This should still be protected by a greenhouse, polytunnel or some other make shift clear polythene or glass cloche.
    Even if you live in an urban area, you would be surprised how horse dung is obtainable with a few enquiries.

Advertisement