Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expert Advice needed!!!

• 08-10-2009 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hey!

I need some expert advice on wiring led lights, its for a halloween costume which requires glowy eyes...

I was in Maplins yesterday and got everything I apparently need, however its only just occurred to me that I have no idea what to do with all these shiny bits and pieces.

I have :
    two 5mm led lights,
    one 22r(is that right?!) resistor,
    a clip for the battery,
    a 9v battery,
    a packet of male push connectors,
    a packet of female push connectors,
    1 metre of red cable...

if anyone has a spare moment would you mind dropping a line to let me know what I can do with this lot to make two shiny eyes!!!!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you have no switch so you will need to turn it on and off via connecting and disconnecting the battery, have you got a soldering iron?

it is a simple circuit all you have to check is that you have the LEDs lined up the correct way, you should notice that the legs on the LEDs are different.

all you need to do is: wire from the positive connection (+) on the battery to one end of the resister (any end) from the other end (of the resistor) link to an LED out of the other leg of the LED to to the other LED and from it back to the battery.

It's one loop, battery-resistor-led-led-battery

Try it with just one LED and the resister first to establish the polarity (is it the correct way around) for the LED, once you have established that it lights add the other.

you will either need to solder or crimp the connections, but just twist them first to check that it all works.

I hope the resister is the correct size, i assume that someone sold it to you who knows the correct value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kezimus

Thats brilliant thank you! I'll give it a shot and hope not to die lol!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I used to use a 560 ohm resistor with 9v systems.
    That's Green-Blue-Brown-Gold/Silver.

22 ohm will allow too much current through the LED's and blow them.

Advertisement