Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing a fresh install of XP- can I transfer my eircom broadband settings?

• 08-10-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

I have a PC with XP which has slowed down to a halt. I have put in a spare hard disk and a fresh XP is now on it. I transferred my docs and other files, and have transferred the outlook express messages, address book and mail account.

I am wondering if there is a way to transfer the eircom network settings, passwords etc across (or are they in that mail account?). I still have the old HD so can boot it up and copy across the files. I did this before years ago but I think I need to go find the old passwords etc and I am not sure if we still have them. If there is a simple way I would prefer not to have to look.

Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

For internet, are you dial-up (sorry, but I have to ask) or broadband? If broadband, does the modem connect to the USB port?

Most email programs will allow you to export all the settings to a file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

Now if this is your regular home broadband, stick it in the wall and twiddle around with it and it works more then likely something called dhcp is set up. What this means is that any computer that connects basically get's told by your box what settings it's to have. If it's a slightly more complex system (perhaps in a work place or just have a computer crazy friend who likes to host their own gateways/dns servers or just a fragile system then you might need to save settings..

On xp go to my network places or something similar (don't have xp running so i can't tell you the exact details) one of the links on the left should have something similar to network connections. Open that. if you're plugged with a wire to your internet box (router) in look for local area connection. Wireless for wireless. Right click, properties. go to internet protocol v4 and hit properties. Take down the information that comes up there. If it's set to "obtain an ip/dns server address automaticly" and everythings grayed out then just leave it. It's set up to use dhcp (ie get it automatically from your internet box)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

For internet, are you dial-up (sorry, but I have to ask) or broadband?
    Sorry, I didn't read the title properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cheers guys, I wrote down user names settings etc, and found my old password. Bizarrely it worked first time! just clicked internet explorer and up popped google. Still think I must be dreaming.

Outlook must have transferred all the settings but thanks for the extra info wolfric, I think I did something like that last time, I know it was a nightmare last time.

Advertisement