Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Other half had a small tip with pedestrian

• 08-10-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Back in Feb the other half had an ever so small tip with a pedestrian. A car in front started reversing towards the other half so she herself reversed slightly, checked mirrors nothing was behind her etc... moving back less than 5kmh some guy stepped off the pavement behind the o/h. He wasn't knocked to the ground and was complaining his "shoulder was broke". He was offered an ambulance which he declined, swapped details, addresses, names etc... and the pedestrian walked off without any assistance. A guy came up to other half saying he saw what happened as would be a witness for her.

The insurance is in my name with her as named driver. She got a call from a solicitor today askign if she received a registered letter (she was away travelling for a month so never received it) and said it was concerning an incident in February. She's in bits now upset and worried about whats going to happen. I told her it will be through solictors and insurance company and won't affect her licence. I know MY premium will go up as a result of a claim at renewal time and I accept that. I'm not working/living in Ireland anymore so the renewal time for the insurance will be under her name anyway so in effect my premium cost won't increase (I will be out of the country effectively for 3 years without having a policy so will lose all my NCB anyway after 2 years IIRC?).

Is there anything else I/she/we should consider regarding this solictors letter or is just going to go through the process of solicitors & the insurance company. I'm not sure yet what the guy is putting a claim in for yet either. I can't imagine it to be extortionate (but who knows?). I've told her to see a solicitor and put her side of things forward

I'm not looking for ways to get out of this. I'm just looking for some advice from anyone who might have had a similar experience with something like this and what to expect.

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I'd be very wary of this to be honest and get onto your insurance company asap. Pass the solicitor letter onto your insurance company and leave them deal with it any further contact from them just point them in the direction of your insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Did you report the incident to the insurance company when it happened, they may make an issue if it was not reported.

Also pass the sol letter on to your insurance company staight away - they will need to issue a response to the sol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'll call the insurance company tomorrow as its in my name and let them know whats happening. the solicitors letter wasn't actually delivered as the other half was away traveling for a month when it was sent out. I've never had to deal with anything like this before so its a bit of a learning curve. Thanks for the advice so far guys!

Pete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Just another point about your bonus , if your wife had her own policy on the day of accident then the claim will follow her policy not yours.

Thanks Barr. I should have added its my car and my policy. I don't mind my NCB being affected or my premium going up if thats the case.

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

pete4130 wrote: »
    Thanks Barr. I should have added its my car and my policy. I don't mind my NCB being affected or my premium going up if thats the case.

thanks.
    Don't worry about it, your insurance company will take care of everything. After all, it's what you paid them for.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

If you have names of witnesses to the event, you should contact your Insurance Company and tell the company that you have witness details should they require it - at least by having other people's account, any claim payable to any party will be accounted for. Also, should you wish to take this to court, and contend with any rulings or payouts (given the guy explicitly refused medical assistance) independant witnesses will help your case.

Also, it doesn't hurt to run this by your solicitor (on your g/f behalf), for simple advise, from a legal point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Anan1 wrote: »
    Don't worry about it, your insurance company will take care of everything. After all, it's what you paid them for.:)

+1. Send the letter off and don't worry about it, the insurance company see this kind of thing every day.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Contacted the insurance company today so its all in due process right now. Claim form being sent out to be filled in and sent back.

Thanks.

Advertisement